Inspirational/Mindfulness Stuff and More | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Inspirational/Mindfulness Stuff and More

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Inspirational listening to this man.

Great advice he gives at the end.

Also has a podcast.

Who could forget the movie ‘Cool Runnings’.

Attachments

• A2F1C4C4-A573-4539-8909-E845B729D7E7.jpeg
    A2F1C4C4-A573-4539-8909-E845B729D7E7.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 2

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Quote.

Inspirational person.

Attachments

• E7100F74-8001-40BE-903E-C53F69DD757A.jpeg
    E7100F74-8001-40BE-903E-C53F69DD757A.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 5
  • C09A863F-0986-4B65-B140-9E6ADC941CD4.jpeg
    C09A863F-0986-4B65-B140-9E6ADC941CD4.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 6

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Inspirational guy.

Have a look at him wrestling.

Attachments

• CFD4E300-99A7-4FBB-B16A-85994759C4D8.jpeg
    CFD4E300-99A7-4FBB-B16A-85994759C4D8.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Hugh Van Cuylenburg was on Gerard Whateley’s show.

Has a podcast worth listening & it’s free.

Here is a quick sample.

His book and journaling have changed my thinking.

Cannot recommend the book enough.

Same with Ben Crowe on Instagram.

Reactions: 1 user

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Thanks Ant I’m having a read of it now.

Great! Wasn't expecting anyone to pick up on it to be honest.

Stoicism is kind of like Buddhism without the religious stuff. Live for the moment, worry about what you control, focus on doing good for the people and community around you. It doesn't mean being unemotional (as the word "stoic" in English sometimes implies), its more about not letting emotions control you.

Beware - fake Stoicism has been adopted by Silicon Valley types as a way to be more effectively ruthless and uncaring - this is not Stoicism. Stoicism does put a virtue on being competent and efficient and rational, but doing it in a positive way.

The "negative" side of Stoicism is this - some Stoic practices. Imagine the worst thing that could happen and how you could react to it. (In case it happens). Imagine your own death. Remember you are here for a short time and in one hundred years (probably less) no-one will remember you were ever here. These practices sound grim but it's a way to focus you on your life and the present, and make the best of it.

I'm far from a good Stoic by the way, but I try.

Some resources:

Read Marcus Aurelius - the emperor - Meditations which were notes he made to himself, not meant for another audience. Plenty of free copies online.

Stoic Meditations is a good daily 2 minute podcast with Massimo Pigliucci. He's also written contemporary guides to Stoicism.

Reactions: 3 users

caspar

We won!!!!!
Jun 8, 2006
Melbourne

Stoicism is kind of like Buddhism without the religious stuff. Live for the moment, worry about what you control, focus on doing good for the people and community around you. It doesn't mean being unemotional (as the word "stoic" in English sometimes implies), its more about not letting emotions control you.

Beware - fake Stoicism has been adopted by Silicon Valley types as a way to be more effectively ruthless and uncaring - this is not Stoicism. Stoicism does put a virtue on being competent and efficient and rational, but doing it in a positive way.

The "negative" side of Stoicism is this - some Stoic practices. Imagine the worst thing that could happen and how you could react to it. (In case it happens). Imagine your own death. Remember you are here for a short time and in one hundred years (probably less) no-one will remember you were ever here. These practices sound grim but it's a way to focus you on your life and the present, and make the best of it.

Some resources:

Read Marcus Aurelius - the emperor - Meditations which were notes he made to himself, not meant for another audience. Plenty of free copies online.

Stoic Meditations is a good daily 2 minute podcast with Massimo Pigliucci. He's also written contemporary guides to Stoicism.

So it's kind of like mindfulness?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Some resources:

I had a quick look, interesting philosophy.

I'll wait until I hit the Stoics on the History of Philosophy without any gaps podcast, I'm years behind but after around 250 episodes I think he has made it to the middle ages. I know 50 episodes in we've managed to get past Plato and Aristotle and on the Epicureans. Still in the Hellenistic period so a little way to go before we get to Roman philosophy. Plus, he also has a history of African and Indian philosophy podcast. I might get through both before I cark it.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I had a quick look, interesting philosophy.

I'll wait until I hit the Stoics on the History of Philosophy without any gaps podcast, I'm years behind but after around 250 episodes I think he has made it to the middle ages. I know 50 episodes in we've managed to get past Plato and Aristotle and on the Epicureans. Still in the Hellenistic period so a little way to go before we get to Roman philosophy. Plus, he also has a history of African and Indian philosophy podcast. I might get through both before I cark it.

DS

Nice, I'll have to check that podcast out. The original Stoics were Greek too - but unfortunately most of their writings were lost. So most of what we know comes from the Romans who followed the Stoic tradition.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Some resources:

Thanks again Antman.
I was given that book by Marcus Aurelius by a friend some 20 years ago. Great read.

Started by the Greeks and developed further which I wasn’t aware.

What you wrote is true.

Im always looking to further myself, grow, be a better version of myself and to not let ‘events’,’people’ , ‘circumstances’ control me the person.

Again thank you.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Nice, I'll have to check that podcast out. The original Stoics were Greek too - but unfortunately most of their writings were lost. So most of what we know comes from the Romans who followed the Stoic tradition.

Hmm, similar to Epicurus who's writings are lost but referred to by Roman writers.

That podcast will take me years to get through and then I'll start on the Indian and African philosophy one he does.

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Didnt know where to post a funny little act of kindness/ justice.

bought myself 2 tallys of guiness extra stout, was searching in my pocket for my car keys and got a bit turned inside out

and dropped both, smashed on the footpath.

mother *smile* *smile* arse *smile*

i say and look up and theres an elderly nun looking at me

i beg your pardon, excuse my language, i go

id have said worse than that, she laughed.

wentback into the bottlo to buy two more

jeez you drank them fast, laughs the lady on the till

nah i smashed them out the front

no worries, she goes, and wrote them off as shop smashed and gave me 2 replacements.

people are good

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Some of the Ryan Holiday videos about being a stoic are fascinating.

He has my attention.

Last edited: