Is George Orwell running Richmond? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is George Orwell running Richmond?

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
That's the only conclusion that I can come to after this wreck of a season and the reaction from the Richmond administration, in particular Greg Miller.

In the doublespeak of the Richmond hierarchy with regards to Danny Frawley, it seems that the worse Richmond play, the more assured Spud is of being coach in 2004.

It is truly bizzare; Miller seems convinced that everything else at Richmond is wrong yet Danny, in his own words, is doing a superb job. That he's got the full attention of the players and prepares exceptionally well before matches are regular statements of Miller's.

Miller lays the blame at the poor list Richmond have presently; certainly it's a poor one but surely Spud must take a large proportion of blame for that? Someone has to take responsibility for using Top 10 picks on Kayne Pettifer and Adam Fiora.

I guess there seems to be a lot of faith in Miller in the general community because the club is in such a mess and he has a proven track record - but I'm beginning to wonder whether he has a genuine contempt for the club and what it currently comprises and this contempt is resulting in irrational, illogical deicisions.

In other words, Greg Miller could be to Richmond what Malcolm Blight was to St. Kilda

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Starting to agree with this. Miller might have an inflated opinion of himself - was at the right club (north) at the right time with the right players and the right coach (Pagan). If he continues this love affair with fraudly then he can join him on his farm stroking not only his ego, but a bodily part I can't mention on this board ;D

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Wags, I think Greg Miller is trying his hardest to avoid a bloody coup at Punt Rd, which he knows is close by.

You make a good point about the worse we go the more safe Danny seems. Miller obviously respects Danny, but I am sure he would see the inadequecies that he has, and would would be pretty sure Danny wouldn't get recontracted for 2005.

Yes our list is poor, this point has been acknowledged by the club many times. But the coaching is shithouse and if Miller is serious about fixing the club, we need new list and new coach.

Your point about taking responsibilty for the past 4 years is the most crucial factor moving into 2004.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Flog that Dead Horse.

The more we lose, which will probably be quite often in the remaining 6 weeks, the more MILLER and Co are going to get asked the question.

Why I have absolutely no idea. Does anyone think for one moment that MILLER is going to say that Spud has lost the support of the board, he has lost the players, the players are not following his instruction etc.

The first time we will get a true indication of MILLERS value will be trade and draft time at the end of the season.

Unless of course Spud tenders his resignation sometime before that. Until then we are just continuing to flog that poor old potatoe ploughing horse.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Gus
i cant wait 6 weeks we have kids we have to have a good look at. while dudleys there they just wont be given a go.get rid of him NOW

Ark7ikfoX

Tiger Cub
Jul 12, 2003
Geelong
wagstaff said:
In the doublespeak of the Richmond hierarchy with regards to Danny Frawley, it seems that the worse Richmond play, the more assured Spud is of being coach in 2004.
Of course wag, on a performance based contract we are actually saving some big $$$ by sticking with this coach ;) ;) ;)

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
the claw said:
Gus
i cant wait 6 weeks we have kids we have to have a good look at. while dudleys there they just wont be given a go.get rid of him NOW

I agree with you claw that the kids definitely need to be given some game time.

Unfortunately I can't see spud going unless he resigns before years end.

As I said early I could live with Friday Night to a degree as the young guys, such as Rodan and Newman were thrown into the midfield. My problem with it is that if we had a better development strategy these kids would have been given regular rotations through that area and allowed to develop under the guidance of Campbo and Johnson rather than being thrown to the wolves because we were left with no other options.