Is it time to panic? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is it time to panic?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
If it buys Geelong a flag who cares what comes after that, flags are what you play for.
We could do the same i.e. go out and top up for one last go. Not sure that is what I want us to do, especially after 3 flags in 4 years.

It's a matter of opinion in the end, what Geelong has done is highly risky if they don't win it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Don't disagree but isn't it amazing the change in the way we think? 4 years ago we would have all given our left nut (the males anyway) for a flag and now we want dynasty :)
As it should be. The human race has evolved because we've always wanted more, to achieve more, to go to places no other AFL team has gone. One small step for Richmond, one giant leap for #lolNorf

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Saw the title and thought it was another Carter monologue.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It’s amazing to watch when it’s on song but an extremely disciplined and hard way to play.

That’s why we look so awful when it’s not being executed, and teams cut us apart.

For me the game plan developed somewhat around the players we have / have had. It would be great to see an injection of a few players with a little more kicking skill so the Tiges coukdcuse a scalpel as well as a mallet going forward.
The new rules don’t allow the same amount of pressure. The only question is will the pressure/intensity of finals undo the possession style game that beat us last night. I can’t recall a game where the opposition forwards took so many uncontested marks I50.
Getting our best 22 on the park will help.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
If I was Benny Gale I would hold a special achievement night for Dimma. Have all the players and past greats at the event.
And just before Dimma gives his speech Gale steps in and says “no need for words Dimma. You been sacked! Now introducing our new coach....”
Curtain rolls back and standing there is Nathan Buckley wearing boxing gloves. Buckley puts his gloves up and starts shadow boxing to the theme ‘eye of the tiger’
Gale “we got ourselves a coach who can take the team to a grand final and is faithful” “Remove this imposter “
Big Nank picks up Dimma the throws him out.

lock in premiership 2022

• Haha

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
No, but we've got our work cut out if we think we're a shoe-in for the finals

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
After the demolition job last night I have to wonder where the Tigers are at this year.
So far we have been beaten by all the teams that are contenders.
Thrashed last night and also by the Swans.
Lost to Port, Dees, Swans and Cats.
So far we have beaten nobody of any consequence, except for the Doggies.
Carlton, Hawks, Saints and Dons.
None of those wins were really anything to write home about.
So, where to from here?
The signs are not good.
Wondering if the free kick differential each week is affecting the confidence.
We certainly fumbled and missed marks we usually take last night.
Are the players concerned about giving away frees, and play accordingly?
Worrying times, but trust panic does not set in.
We are most likely to be out of the eight after this weekend.
Do the players actually notice the free kick differential?

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Do the players actually notice the free kick differential?
Good question Al. Maybe they do, but what can they do about it?
Has anyone on here contacted the RFC about the perceived bias and differential?
If so what response has there been.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
We have an easier fixture over the next few weeks and the absence of Cotchin, Edwards, Lambert, Prestia (and Soldo), gives the opportunity, and makes it necessary, to give others a shot.
Maurice Rioli and Sydney Stack are fast, brave and well skilled.
Only really one way to find out if they are ready.
There will be bumps, but there is nothing to lose.
Top 4 still beckoning and even if we don’t get there these opportunities given, will not have been wasted.
Coleman-Jones, primarily in the forward line, also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Nothing to panic about at all.
Even if the *smile* continues to hit the fan form or injury wise, n our midfield has been decimated this year. Which obviously heaps additional pressure on our forward and defensive groups.

We've won three premierships in the last four years, so there's an allowance for a bit of respite before we start panicking n sacking the board / coach n abusing the players.
We're still a good chance of making finals and anything can happen from there.

We've got six picks inside fifty in this years draft, while it would be fun if the Geewhinge pick were the earliest possible. It won't really hurt that much if we have to cop an earlier than expected pick because we've had an unfortunate year.

Most importantly for mine.
We continue to get game time into our next crop of juniors. Sure we can bleat for the moment because the beginners aren't instant superstars to replace our missing heroes.
Currently the only way we have of getting extra games into kids is through injuries so it hurts current performance when Cotchinator, Dusty, Prestygiocomo, Lamblett, Vlossy, Bash or Grub miss games.

We're getting miles into the kids Nigel, R2D2, Rossy, Naish, Not Dusty all get a look at the Seniors, perhaps Raaaalphsmiff, Cujo, Dow n Mojo will get games too. Remember also that blokes like Balta, Pickett, Aarts n Soldo all have less than 40 games under the belt, they've all still got improvement to come.

Moggies dropped a couple of their youngsters last night for older players, obviously desperate to bash us up n give themselves the best opportunity to run flat out at this years flag. Problem for them is they have no plan B for the future, they simply aren't bringing their kids through and setting them up to take up the load when their champions fade out.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Panic? No. The Hawks were 4 wins-4 losses after 8 rounds in 2015.Their threepeat year.

Reactions: 5 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Always felt this year needed to be a transition one. No one outside of Geelong have won a flag in their 5th year at the top.
If we play finals and are able to integrate fresh youngsters in to the team, I think we will be well placed going ahead to 2022-2024.
6 picks inside 50 odd will also help.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Panic? No. The Hawks were 4 wins-4 losses after 8 rounds in 2015.Their threepeat year.
Hun article claims we are next to no chance of coming back n winning this years flag from a 4-4 start. Because only three teams have achieved it this century
( FFS. I kid you not ). Three teams in twenty years have achieved this remarkable feat yet we've got virtually no hope of doing it. Farkin meedjia imbeciles.

Reactions: 3 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Panic no but we may be due a reset. We have a great club with great foundations and we will do what is necessary.
Cameron, Higgins and Smith were 3 of their best last night and despite all the mocking of Geelong when you add that sort of quality to a top side they are going to be formidable. We are not going to go in that direction. It may buy them a flag but what comes after that?
This year may be somewhat of a bust, although I suspect we will still play finals, but we will add some quality in the draft, develop strongly and do some sort of reset.
The way the competition is set up it is really hard to stay on top for a long period of time but there is no way we are heading too far south. Our club is far too strong for that.
It could be a little like Geelong in 2018. Fell away a bit, everyone wrote them off and they finished 2019 on top of the ladder. Of course they didn’t have to contend with the hierarchy drastically altering the game to nobble them.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'm not panicking as it gets you no where. The likelihood of a three-peat was low anyway.
However, the realisation that our chances are slipping away at an accelerating rate as the injury list grows is taking away the premiership after glow.
We're not done, and there's a long way to go but the trend is not upward.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
It's a no from me.

I was at last night's game and saw enough in the first half—particularly the first quarter—to confidently say no side can go with us when we're on.

Sure, we got outworked in the end. But that's entirely fixable.

I actually walked away feeling more confident than ever. We'll string together quarters of unmatchable quality when it really matters.

Cats fans can have their jollies in May.

Let's see how the jibbers go when the whips are cracking from 'big boy month' onwards.

• Love

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
It’s never time to panic. Just rationally take stock & figure out how to get better.
To start with:
- let’s play a second ruck in CCJ;
- add speed to the wing by replacing Ross with Naish;
- not play any unfit player;
- drop underperforming players regardless of name;
- change the forward structure & stop the rebound out of our forward half.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
After what I've seen in the last 4 years I don't think I'll ever panic again. The fall has to come sometime. I'm prepared for it.