Is it time to panic? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is it time to panic?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Love your posting on this Spook.

People are forgetting our backline (sublime) is back together and our forward line has plenty of ceiling yet to reach.

Plus, we have the most competitive ruckman in the league, in form.

Caddy or CCJ must come in. They must.

Longer, less taxing football. Slingshot from half back. Keep more shape back and forward. Don’t press as hard.

The biggest test of Adam Kingsley’s career.

But there are several tactical ways around our midfield problem. Exploit and maximise our strengths and we win against GWS.

Brisbane is a free hit. The next two games after that are wins.

7-5 at the turn with troops to come back is fine.

With the generous (and stupid) break before finals, the mission is a top 8 finish. Winning four finals in a row has never been so viable.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Was going to be tough with only Shai, Dusty and JG in our top midfield 7 available, even tougher with only two of our top 7 rotation around. That's a significant problem, fortunately a short term one if they can start to come back in the next few weeks.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Hun article claims we are next to no chance of coming back n winning this years flag from a 4-4 start. Because only three teams have achieved it this century
( FFS. I kid you not ). Three teams in twenty years have achieved this remarkable feat yet we've got virtually no hope of doing it. Farkin meedjia imbeciles.
Last was Hawks in 2015. But their 4 losses were by 2, 4, 8 and 10 points. And their wins were big 60, 62, 70 and 105 so they had a huge percentage. There's no comparison with the injury ravaged poorly playing Tigers. I don't think we have much chance. But I live in hope.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Last was Hawks in 2015. But their 4 losses were by 2, 4, 8 and 10 points. And their wins were big 60, 62, 70 and 105 so they had a huge percentage. There's no comparison with the injury ravaged poorly playing Tigers. I don't think we have much chance. But I live in hope.

The Hawks had a different setup with completely different tactics.

We are an all-or-nothing pressure team.

Built for winning finals, hard to sustain in the home and away.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
GWS have a lot of injuries too. They've been putting out young sides, the youngest in the comp at times. They were younger than Esserden and nearly lost to them.

The midfield is the obvious issue, and the Giants are still relatively strong here. But we still have Dusty.

They talk about GWS hitting form, now I haven’t watched many of their games but the bit I saw against the bummers was a pretty low standard.

They have beaten the pies, Sydney, the crows and the bummers (just) so I don’t think their form line is that hot.

I don’t think they can score enough to beat us - I know we are depleted in the middle but Baker, Graham, Pickett and an old man Dusty ain’t our normal top shelf but will put up a decent fight and the kids in their will need to step up.

If Vlas and Grimes keep Greene in check I am confident but it is now a risky game for us.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
There is genuine opportunity here, as there was every other prrmiership year.

marlion and bakes become mids for a month, maybe danny if hes not concussed.ccj

melee consolidates in the back 8

hugo or caddy come in and play marlions wing (id go with caddys old head)

Stackman and Ccj get thrown in to start paying down debt.

dimma may stay clear of the street fight metaphor, but thats what we are in for a month.

we get to 6:6, well win the flag

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Did Dimma have a crack at players dropping the knees for a free?
Clearly getting frustrated, he normally doesn’t whinge.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Started off believing the new rules would favour us. Changed after round 2.

The new rules make it easier, giving more room both before and in front of the kicker, for players to find space and make position to receive a short kick. The ball can always move more quickly than the player.
In the midfield especially, zoning off plus our chaos approach, does not breach the space gap gifted by the new rules.
Kicking long and relying on Tom and Jack to bring the ball down in the forward line space suddenly also becomes more difficult. And our smaller players are just not having their way.

Perhaps if we have 3 marking forwards and 3 smalls working in tandem, in separate areas of the forward line?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The Hawks had a different setup with completely different tactics.

We are an all-or-nothing pressure team.

Built for winning finals, hard to sustain in the home and away.
Yes my point was arguably Hawks shouldn't have been 4 and 4 that year with 4 narrow losses as opposed to our 60+ point losses. Very hard to come back to win a premiership when 4-4 even moreso with medium term injuries to so many gun midfielders.

Last edited:

dmc

Kick it long and direct!
Feb 5, 2004
Ohio, USA
You can’t discount the fact that over the last 6 weeks we have played 5 of the current top six teams who all want to prove themselves against the champ. If you factor in our injuries and resulting lack of continuity, the inconsistency makes sense. None of the other top 8 teams have had the kind of draw we have had. Our game plan requires maximum effort! If we can just hang tough over the next 4 weeks and at least even the ledger we should be OK.