Is PC a euphemism for 'nice?' | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is PC a euphemism for 'nice?'

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Don't have a problem with PC. The PC crusaders are a little bit annoying though.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I remember the days when PC was a computer your put on your desk. And when gay meant being happy.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Coburgtiger said:
You delivered pizzas AND you have to work for a living?

My god. How have we not heard of the foundation for this? Where can I donate to 'the people who have had to work' fund?

Poor LTRTR. And then Goodes went and actually attacked you? Did your report it to anyone? Are you okay?

In another life I stole bread from a supermarket delivery drop after not eating for three days. Didn't blame any rich *smile* for my position. The blame game can GAGF.

Try again to get the point.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
tigersnake said:
Well is Charlton said so I guess thats it. The tyranny of being expected to be nice, a lot of people don't like it. Especially rich, white, male people for some reason.
It's not about being nice, perhaps read the article I provided a link to.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Harry said:
Don't have a problem with PC. The PC crusaders are a little bit annoying though.

This. Any change or movement or policy has its downsides no matter how good or effective. PC's is the odd bit annoying crusader. Small price to pay. 'PC gone mad' stories crack me up though mostly, just playing to their choir. People can work themselves into an indignant frenzy over not much.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigersnake said:
This. Any change or movement or policy has its downsides no matter how good or effective. PC's is the odd bit annoying crusader. Small price to pay. 'PC gone mad' stories crack me up though mostly, just playing to their choir. People can work themselves into an indignant frenzy over not much.

Anti-PC is people working themselves up into an indignant frenzy about PC people working themselves up into an indignant frenzy.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
No it is a euphemism for "never offend anyone." The so-called "regressive left" are basically the PC police. They are responsible for "safe spaces" that pre-suppose that people should never feel "offence". This is obviously nonsense. Of course different people will find different things offensive. But to over overly police it is to become the societal version of the "helicopter parent" or the "tiger parent".

If you have grown up in a family and a society where only men wear green and only women wear brown (to create an absurd example) then imagine the first time you encounter a woman in green? It would have quite an effect. You might even be offended by it if you had been told that it is actually forbidden or indecent. Should this mean that your "offence" needs to be taken seriously by the "offender"? No. Your offence is personal to you.

One of the most imporant parts of free speech is the freedom to offend. Precisely because anything might be deemed "offensive" by some. Society is far better served by learning to have a "thick skin" and understanding that it is not society's role to protect you from things that might offend you, it is your role to learn how to be a functioning adult in a world that doesn't, and shouldn't, cater specifically to you.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
KnightersRevenge said:
No it is a euphemism for "never offend anyone." The so-called "regressive left" are basically the PC police. They are responsible for "safe spaces" that pre-suppose that people should never feel "offence". This is obviously nonsense. Of course different people will find different things offensive. But to over overly police it is to become the societal version of the "helicopter parent" or the "tiger parent".

If you have grown up in a family and a society where only men wear green and only women wear brown (to create an absurd example) then imagine the first time you encounter a woman in green? It would have quite an effect. You might even be offended by it if you had been told that it is actually forbidden or indecent. Should this mean that your "offence" needs to be taken seriously by the "offender"? No. Your offence is personal to you.

One of the most imporant parts of free speech is the freedom to offend. Precisely because anything might be deemed "offensive" by some. Society is far better served by learning to have a "thick skin" and understanding that it is not society's role to protect you from things that might offend you, it is your role to learn how to be a functioning adult in a world that doesn't, and shouldn't, cater specifically to you.

Really? so if I call a woman a tart, an aboriginal person a coon, or a gay person a faggot its their problem?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Recently someone told Nova Peris to go and eat witchetty grubs. She took offence. I think it's about context. I doubt she's offended that her relations did used to live from the land but the person who said it probably meant to be offensive.

This reminds me of messages I get sent. They usually refer to me being fat and some kind of animal. I don't find them offensive at all, just a tad sad people would do it. If I was a fat pig and someone said it to my face I would find it offensive though.

A couple of examples below. There are plenty of others.

You are spinless and a very pathetic person how can you say all those nice things about the RFC and turn out to be like that,no wonder our club is stuffed with people like you who cannot give me a direct answer and to expose me like that without a proper excuse,guess what im allready in your system again you will be hearing from me very soon you gutless piece of crap,im ashamed you are a tiger you fat ass.How can you just ignore people like that when it is you who is at fault fatty.

Youve just proved to me what an *smile* you are and im gonna be a pain in your ass from now on ,im gonna make sure everybody knows you cant be trusted you *smile* *smile*,you want abuse ill give you abuse you *smile* maggot,im gonna join up under a different name once a week and abuse every *smile* on there for one reason only,and thats because you couldnt be honest with me you *smile* prick,at least im straight up even if im a bit rough around the edges,youll never get rid of me now for exposing me like that you fat *smile*,you had no right to do that to me and you know it,your in for one hell of a fight you *smile* weak *smile*.YOU HAD NO *smile* RIGHT,if you were honest i would have forgotton it you have no idea who you have *smile* with,be prepared.
----- Original Message -----

Are those comments considered politically incorrect? Does it depend whether I am offended by them or not? Does it depend if they have an element of truth or not? I really don't understand political correct as a term. It's often used as an insult on here. I just think it's far be nice and not insult, ridicule or try to hurt people. The need to do so is a reflection on the person who does it imo.

Another thing is offence has been taken at ace oriented jokes on here, for example Irish jokes. Are targeted jokes politically correct? Does it depend who makes them and who they are aimed at?

PC is a term I don't choose to use. I don't really understand what it means.

P.S. I sincerely hope the swear filter works. :help

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That's not anything to do with PC. That's just internet tough guy abuse from a very sad, lonely and insecure little person who craves attention.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Baloo said:
That's not anything to do with PC. That's just internet tough guy abuse from a very sad, lonely and insecure little person who craves attention.

Interesting. As I said I am not sure what political correctness is. No doubt it's attention seeking bullying. Is it considered politically incorrect to call someone a poof or a boong or a nigger etc or are they more akin to calling them fatty?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
rosy23 said:
Interesting. As I said I am not sure what political correctness is. No doubt it's attention seeking bullying. Is it considered politically incorrect to call someone a poof or a boong or a nigger etc or are they more akin to calling them fatty?

PC is more about using what some people consider normal, inoffensive terms and actions yet the recipient, target or other parts of society finds them offensive, degrading or mean. In the emails you quoted, the person was deliberately trying to offend, demean and attack you. That's intentional abuse, not political incorrectness.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Best Definition Yet
There's supposedly an annual contest at the Griffith University. Australia, calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.
This year's term was "Political Correctness".
The winning student wrote:
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional. illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of *smile* by the clean end"

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
willo said:
Best Definition Yet
There's supposedly an annual contest at the Griffith University. Australia, calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.
This year's term was "Political Correctness".
The winning student wrote:
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional. illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh!t by the clean end"

I read this and thought, it doesn't actually make sense, and it isn't really funny, and as a GU alumni, I googled it. Never actually happened willo. Which is pretty typical of the 'PC gone mad' mythology.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
I read this and thought, it doesn't actually make sense, and it isn't really funny, and as a GU alumni, I googled it. Never actually happened willo. Which is pretty typical of the 'PC gone mad' mythology.

Fair enough, but the anti-PC brigade can hardly be blamed for the existence of snopes.com.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Is pretty simple. People very really mad when they're told to be decent to each other.

'I am a good person, who are you to tell me I'm racist/homophobic/sexist? I am such a good person, how dare you suggest that when I say racist /sexist /homophobic things it's a bad thing. Have I told you how good a person I am? I pay taxes. I have a gay relative, I've travelled overseas, and I find women attractive. I'm actually a great person. I should be allowed to act like a knob. How dare you say otherwise. The world has gone mad. '

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigersnake said:
Really? so if I call a woman a tart, an aboriginal person a coon, or a gay person a faggot its their problem?

[EDIT] I was talking about the over-policing of "offence" as noted by ridiculous things like "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces". I submit to you that society is not best served by this far left tyranny of niceties. George Carlin was on to something in his long rails against the systematic homogenising of language.

I didn't say it wasn't possible to offend. Or that all offence was imaginary did I? It is absolutely about the individual though.

The obvious example is when black people call each other nigga. If I do it, pasty white guy that I am, in certain company it is not meant nor taken as offensive. But I am sure we can both conceive of many occasions when it would be. Likewise "*smile*" or "tart". I don't like either word but in some circles they are completely benign, used like nick names. Context is everything.

[EDIT] As an addition, and an annecdotal one at that, my wife loves the C-bomb. She blends it seamlessly in the way only Irish people can ( well I haven't come across any others, I know good church going Irish grannies who wouldn't, and don't, think twice about dropping it). With an Australian or many English accents it seems to come out harsh and accusitory and tends to convey aggression and lead to offence. Many of you reading this may not believe that it can ever spoken in polite company without causing offence. If any of you ever get to meet my wife I promise you she'll have dropped it several times inside the first minute without you noticing.