Is The Love Of Money The Root Of All Evil? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is The Love Of Money The Root Of All Evil?

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
willo said:
Good post Elmer Fudd, "money is the root of all evil"...but it would be good to have plenty of it ;D
Jayfox will tell you it's actually the love of money that's the root of all evil.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Re: Clayton Collard (merged)

YinnarTiger said:
Jayfox will tell you it's actually the love of money that's the root of all evil.
I was misquoted Yinnar Year, no sorry if I stuffed it, but think you got the gist

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

YinnarTiger said:

Totally flawed argument. If there's no money to begin with, there can be no love for it. :)

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Heh, you'd have to ask Jay, he has a better relationship with the being that created the creatures that seem love it so much.

I still say it's flawed logic too BTW.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland

Disco08 said:
Heh, you'd have to ask Jay, he has a better relationship with the being that created the creatures that seem love it so much.

I still say it's flawed logic too BTW.
I don't spend much time on the religion board and while not wanting to hijack the thread, :angel:,here is the logic:

Money ->Love of money-> Evil

Money -> Ambivalence of money -> No evil

Love of money is the root of evil.

QED 8)

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
And serial killers who are indifferent to money? Not evil?

BTW Evo, Pantera, feel free to turn this into 'does evil exist?' discussion. :)

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
The serial killers' evil isn't necessarily related to their attitude to money. I'm sure someone here could work out a sequence of causes that could be traced back to a love of money.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Its not money that is evil, but the want that drives it.

Suffering comes from want and desire for that you do not have. Money is just a tool to achieving that.

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
To put this issue to bed, this is a much misquoted or misunderstood verse IMO. The New International Version of the Bible which I believe would be the most commonly used version in todays language in the western world, translates this verse as -

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil." 1 Timothy 6:10.

I reckon that's very accurate and hard to argue against.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Maybe the story is wrong and the forbidden fruit was plucked from a money tree and not an apple tree after all, or are apples the root of all evil?

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
rosy23 said:
Maybe the story is wrong and the forbidden fruit was plucked from a money tree and not an apple tree after all, or are apples the root of all evil?
Good point Rosy. Apples were probably the currency of the day.

Adam "Nice pear, Eve"
Eve "Dummy, it's an apple..... wanna bite?"

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Tiger74 said:
Its not money that is evil, but the want that drives it.

Suffering comes from want and desire for that you do not have. Money is just a tool to achieving that.
Thats the best answer.