Swan: Blues different path
29 July 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph
CARLTON chief executive Greg Swann ruled out chasing experienced coaches Neale Daniher and Kevin Sheedy yesterday as he almost conceded the Blues were playing for a priority pick this year.
Swann and his club's coaching subcommittee met Michael Voss on Friday, and said yesterday it would also interview caretaker Brett Ratten as well as several other coaches.
The Blues coaching wish list does not include Sheedy or Daniher after Swann said the club was moving in a different direction.
"No, we are going down a different path. I just think someone newer, younger, that is where we will go," Swann said. "We have got a really young list and, depending on who stays and goes, our average age will end up being around 20.
"Our view is that to take them from where they are now, to getting back to finals, is a process we want to explore with someone not long out of the game."
Swann denied the popular perception the job was Voss's if he wanted it, but said his gut feel was that the Lions legend would take a senior coaching position for next season.
"I think he will coach somewhere," Swann said. "We have got to talk to a few other people.
"Despite popular belief, he is not over the line. He has made it clear he has had a chat to Essendon.
"He will talk to those that want to talk to him and we will certainly be talking to Brett Ratten."
"We have indicated we want to have a look at our list for the rest of the year, which puts the pressure on a guy who is looking to forge his own coaching career."
While Swann denied actually tanking to win a draft pick, he conceded better-performed players were being overlooked for kids and said the majority of Carlton supporters wanted the side to lose every remaining game this year.
That would give Carlton first pick in the draft for not winning more than eight games over two years.
"People ask you about whether you tank or not. If you can't make the eight you have to plan for next year," Swann said on 3AW yesterday.
"By planning for next year that doesn't always necessarily mean you have got your best team out there.
"There are some guys playing at the Northern Bullants who probably, right this minute, are better players than some of the kids that are playing, but from our point of view we need to get as many games as we can into our younger players and fast-track them because that is where our future lies.
"I don't think it is ideal. There has already been talk about the last game where we play Melbourne and you just don't want the games to turn into a farce where everyone is coming to the game hoping to lose."
Meanwhile, Swann said he hoped talks with Carlton captain Lance Whitnall might save his career at the club.
Whitnall has lost 6kg since the mid-season break despite a knee injury, and Swann said he would have been traded or delisted if not for his change of attitude.
"I just think that perhaps because he won the best and fairest (last year), he's just drifted a little bit," Swann said.
"We decided enough was enough and had the heart-to-heart.
"Realistically, if he stayed the way he was he definitely wouldn't be on the list next year."
Whitnall said yesterday he wanted to stay at Carlton and hoped the club would also retain erratic forward Brendan Fevola.
"For sure," he said. "When you look back at the start of this year, the exciting list we have got, the boys are down in confidence but if we put a bit of confidence back in the boys we can match it with most sides.
"We have got a good list and I want to be there, for sure."
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22151231%255E19762,00.html
Swan and the Blues are going to *smile* us over bigtime.
The ultimate insult to the worst season in our history.

Pick 2 it will be.
29 July 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph
CARLTON chief executive Greg Swann ruled out chasing experienced coaches Neale Daniher and Kevin Sheedy yesterday as he almost conceded the Blues were playing for a priority pick this year.
Swann and his club's coaching subcommittee met Michael Voss on Friday, and said yesterday it would also interview caretaker Brett Ratten as well as several other coaches.
The Blues coaching wish list does not include Sheedy or Daniher after Swann said the club was moving in a different direction.
"No, we are going down a different path. I just think someone newer, younger, that is where we will go," Swann said. "We have got a really young list and, depending on who stays and goes, our average age will end up being around 20.
"Our view is that to take them from where they are now, to getting back to finals, is a process we want to explore with someone not long out of the game."
Swann denied the popular perception the job was Voss's if he wanted it, but said his gut feel was that the Lions legend would take a senior coaching position for next season.
"I think he will coach somewhere," Swann said. "We have got to talk to a few other people.
"Despite popular belief, he is not over the line. He has made it clear he has had a chat to Essendon.
"He will talk to those that want to talk to him and we will certainly be talking to Brett Ratten."
"We have indicated we want to have a look at our list for the rest of the year, which puts the pressure on a guy who is looking to forge his own coaching career."
While Swann denied actually tanking to win a draft pick, he conceded better-performed players were being overlooked for kids and said the majority of Carlton supporters wanted the side to lose every remaining game this year.
That would give Carlton first pick in the draft for not winning more than eight games over two years.
"People ask you about whether you tank or not. If you can't make the eight you have to plan for next year," Swann said on 3AW yesterday.
"By planning for next year that doesn't always necessarily mean you have got your best team out there.
"There are some guys playing at the Northern Bullants who probably, right this minute, are better players than some of the kids that are playing, but from our point of view we need to get as many games as we can into our younger players and fast-track them because that is where our future lies.
"I don't think it is ideal. There has already been talk about the last game where we play Melbourne and you just don't want the games to turn into a farce where everyone is coming to the game hoping to lose."
Meanwhile, Swann said he hoped talks with Carlton captain Lance Whitnall might save his career at the club.
Whitnall has lost 6kg since the mid-season break despite a knee injury, and Swann said he would have been traded or delisted if not for his change of attitude.
"I just think that perhaps because he won the best and fairest (last year), he's just drifted a little bit," Swann said.
"We decided enough was enough and had the heart-to-heart.
"Realistically, if he stayed the way he was he definitely wouldn't be on the list next year."
Whitnall said yesterday he wanted to stay at Carlton and hoped the club would also retain erratic forward Brendan Fevola.
"For sure," he said. "When you look back at the start of this year, the exciting list we have got, the boys are down in confidence but if we put a bit of confidence back in the boys we can match it with most sides.
"We have got a good list and I want to be there, for sure."
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22151231%255E19762,00.html
Swan and the Blues are going to *smile* us over bigtime.
The ultimate insult to the worst season in our history.
Pick 2 it will be.