It's official, Hocking and the AFL are dumb-arsed, half-baked clowns who are trying to stuff the game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

It's official, Hocking and the AFL are dumb-arsed, half-baked clowns who are trying to stuff the game

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Agreed, technically if a player goes off the mark, including walking or "wandering" back to kick for goal, it should be play-on. These rule changes have all the hallmarks of an arms race - a tit-for-tat response that will see coaches invent new ways to limit the intentions of these rules.
Players on the wing often move about 10 mtrs in board before play on is called, they get away with it on part because the man on the mark goes with them. That will have to stop if the man on the mark cant move, so players will be stuck on the boundary line, so will be more likely to kick down the line, increasing congestion.

I also expect players will stop manning the mark straight away- staying close enough to stop playing on, but not too close they are stuck there, until their team is sorted.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Players on the wing often move about 10 mtrs in board before play on is called, they get away with it on part because the man on the mark goes with them. That will have to stop if the man on the mark cant move, so players will be stuck on the boundary line, so will be more likely to kick down the line, increasing congestion.

I also expect players will stop manning the mark straight away- staying close enough to stop playing on, but not too close they are stuck there, until their team is sorted.

I expect you are right, players will just step back a metre or so from the mark which means they can still move laterally. It will probably be the most pointless change in the rules that we've ever seen. Seems so easy to counter and render the rule change useless.

I'd love to see the stats on the kick ins, what results did the previous change actually do other than pad out stats of players that move outside the square and then kick long?

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I expect you are right, players will just step back a metre or so from the mark which means they can still move laterally. It will probably be the most pointless change in the rules that we've ever seen. Seems so easy to counter and render the rule change useless.

I'd love to see the stats on the kick ins, what results did the previous change actually do other than pad out stats of players that move outside the square and then kick long?
Exactly.
Trying to force coaches to take the kick laterally, onboard instead of the kick down the line.
They want flow.
They don’t want congestion, boundary throw ins or ball ups.

Coaches will be coaches.
Players too.

Stupid.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
So I just read that Hocking will be introducing a new “mid season draft” for next year.

Clubs with vacancies on their list will have the option of drafting in players after rounds 4, 8 and 12.A104C5E9-783D-4947-952E-7F6602FB9D31.jpeg

• Wow

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
So I just read that Hocking will be introducing a new “mid season draft” for next year.

Clubs with vacancies on their list will have the option of drafting in players after rounds 4, 8 and 12.View attachment 11277

So instead of Richmond being last in 2 drafts, (National and Rookie), we will now potentially be last in 5? :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
Am I right that in the VFL, the fullback will have to wait for the correct number of players to be in the 50 meter zone at the other end of the ground before kicking in / playing on from a point? Can see the team that kicked the point being very slow getting back to the zone to give the rest of the team time to set up defensively, if it is the case.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
I am expecting a rectangular marking zone to be implemented to "fix" the issue of no-one standing the mark or to prevent a second player moving laterally behind the marking player. My prediction would be for 10 metres wide and five metres deep

I am making thiss predicshun coz I just fell and smacced me headd and it makes good sens

• Wow

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He is wondering how the *smile* have we won 3 flags while his beloved Geelong with that peanut at the helm has done Jackshiit.
It wouldve been interesting to see if he would've changed the rules if Geelong was going for 3 in a row.
I reckon its time Gale or Balme come and unleash on this knob

• Wow

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Clubs with vacancies on their list will have the option of drafting in players after rounds 4, 8 and 12.
They're also introducing minimum quotas for u21s and u23s on VFL lists so there will presumably be fewer opportunities for mature-agers to make it to the AFL via this type of draft.

• Sad

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
They're also introducing minimum quotas for u21s and u23s on VFL lists so there will presumably be fewer opportunities for mature-agers to make it to the AFL via this type of draft.
Yeah, the VFL has become a development league. So Marlion wouldn’t become the story he has if he were a Victorian player in 2021 onwards?

• Sad

Honest John

Tiger Cub
Sep 12, 2020

Absolutely. Player on the mark points to the ground and asks the umpire - is this the mark? Yes. Then player on the mark takes one GIANT step backwards. No longer on the mark.

Honest John

Tiger Cub
Sep 12, 2020
I am expecting a rectangular marking zone to be implemented to "fix" the issue of no-one standing the mark or to prevent a second player moving laterally behind the marking player. My prediction would be for 10 metres wide and five metres deep

I am making thiss predicshun coz I just fell and smacced me headd and it makes good sens
Hence my comment arms race - another (proposed) rule to counter the "no one on the mark" tactic.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
If the AFL was serious about 1) reducing congestion 2) reducing list size and 3) reducing costs then the simple fix would have been to reduce on field team numbers to 16.

Just to clarify I am against all rule changes just saying the AFL is dodging the most realistic change that would help ease all the major problems

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
talk about half baked clown trying to stuff up the game,

anyone seen this uni-nostrilled GC DJ Fisher bloke who crashed our premiership party?

and put our cup upside down on his head?

I dont think we'll have to worry about him for too much longer,

I'm pretty sure his heart will give out at The Maroons Byron beach party either tonight or tommorow night.

either that, or one of the Maroons will mistake him for a schoolgirl and his stupid grin for consent.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Absolutely. Player on the mark points to the ground and asks the umpire - is this the mark? Yes. Then player on the mark takes one GIANT step backwards. No longer on the mark.
Thats the point. The umpire marks the spot, but the opposition don't have to stand the mark.
Therefore player's will stand a metre behind the mark doing exactly what they were doing this year.
Just a really stupid rule.
Real coaches will use it as a part of their game plan

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Thats the point. The umpire marks the spot, but the opposition don't have to stand the mark.
Therefore player's will stand a metre behind the mark doing exactly what they were doing this year.
Just a really stupid rule.
Real coaches will use it as a part of their game plan
Exactly go back 5 metres from the mark and move any direction they wish ( as before )...

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
its an amazing photo. The 'Custodian' and The 'Dil' looking at the Tiges with different expressions but saying the same thing - 'How do they do it?' And there's the Tiges, blissfully unaware of the pair, doing their own thing. And maybe therein lies the answer the plonkers are looking for ...

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
talk about half baked clown trying to stuff up the game,

anyone seen this uni-nostrilled GC DJ Fisher bloke who crashed our premiership party?

and put our cup upside down on his head?

I dont think we'll have to worry about him for too much longer,

I'm pretty sure his heart will give out at The Maroons Byron beach party either tonight or tommorow night.

either that, or one of the Maroons will mistake him for a schoolgirl and his stupid grin for consent.
Uni nostrilled..:mhihi

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Can someone explain to me the point of reducing the number of interchanges if quarters are going to be shorter (likely 18 mins)? Doesn't that basically mean proportionally it's virtually the same?
Ooops.
Way to smart for the flogs in suits at H.Q. ToOheys.