Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Baseless cynicism huh?

Suggest you do some research into the knee reconstruction recovery experiences of 95 kg plus AFL players.

You will find they talk about a 2 year recovery, the 12 months post surgery and then 12 months to regain playing form.

Having a knee reconstruction as a 110kg ruckman is a high risk procedure. Not only is the risk of recurrence much higher in larger athletes, but most of their play is based around putting stress through the knee.

There is a greater likelihood of secondary issues with the knee like cartilage damage, loss of motion and function and other like issues.

You can also build all the confidence you like in the knee at training but until you stand face to face with another 100kg plus monster who is going to charge at you and try and put all his weight into your body, or stand in a pack under a high ball while 350kg worth of pack crashes into you, then it is all pretty worthless. Ask any reconstructed player and they will tell you it understandably takes some time to clear the thoughts of risk and danger from your mind and start to attack the footy again in the same way you did before. It's not a case of playing a couple of scratchies and being good to go.

Soldo is returning from a very significant injury and will need a long time to fully recover. Our expectations on him for next season should be very low, any contribution he makes will be a welcome bonus.

September 11 2020 so roughly 19 months before he potentially lines up in Round 1 2022.

He will ease into the season and gain confidence with every hit out.

Importantly, if Nank is fit Ivan won’t be shouldering the load of first ruck.

This, plus the critical factor that two big, talented rucks give us much more in the way of structural advantage than their individual possessions can ever do.

The structural advantage, so well deployed in 2019, is what we are looking for here and goes far beyond any expectation that Ivan will tear games apart.

Nah, I’ll take the more optimistic route here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Happy to bring Soldo on slowly, he's too important. Suggest Miller gets games early and Balta plays second ruck changing forward.

Reactions: 3 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The problem with that is, what is ‘slowly’ with a healed knee? If he is right to go, better to gain that confidence sooner rather than later?

And for the record I have the greatest of admiration for these big blokes returning from knees.

Just think he’s had the opportunity to build a solid base already. Early 2022 training track will tell us the story.

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Staff member
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
The problem with that is, what is ‘slowly’ with a healed knee? If he is right to go, better to gain that confidence sooner rather than later?

And for the record I have the greatest of admiration for these big blokes returning from knees.

Just think he’s had the opportunity to build a solid base already. Early 2022 training track will tell us the story.

Agree with this, medically he is as ready to go as he will ever be.

Reactions: 1 users

fastin bulbous

I Dig Syd
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Still can't understand why CCJ wants more ruck time, he doesn't seem like the key position for him to me.
Just wanting something doesn’t work at senior level. You have to be good enough and better than everyone else on the list. Caddy wants midfield time, ccj wants ruck time , I want a new bike for Christmas. Ccj is too young and dumb to realise he has just lowered his ceiling substantially by getting what he wants at the worst team.

Reactions: 2 users