Jack A True Tiger Titan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack A True Tiger Titan

A

admin

Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com
9:34:38 AM Thu 12 December, 2002

It was my Uncle Harry who set the standard for Yellow and Black devotion among the Greenberg clan.

As a lad growing up in Richmond, Uncle Harry was passionate about the Tigers, with one player in particular capturing his imagination – legendary spearhead Jack Titus.

So besotted was Uncle Harry with the on-field exploits of the man they called ‘Skinny’ that he once souvenired a piece of orange peel the champion goalkicker had discarded during the three-quarter-time huddle of a match at Punt Road Oval!

Seems young Harry had kept his eyes on Titus even throughout the ‘orange break’, as it was known back then (perhaps to pick up a pointer or two on how to dissect and devour an orange). Anyway, when he saw Titus leave this piece of peel on the hallowed turf, he knew what a priceless little collector’s item it was.

Uncle Harry kept his focus on that peel right throughout the last quarter, and when the final siren sounded, he made his move.

Sadly, I never got to see this famous piece of Tiger memorabilia, as it decomposed many years before I arrived on the scene. But I am reliably informed that Uncle Harry was the proud owner of the Titus peel for many football seasons, although I’m not sure if he ever tried to get the great man to ensure its value increased by signing it.

No matter. It’s a nice, little yarn regardless – and a rather fitting lead-in to this historical feature on William John Titus, who holds Richmond’s all-time goalkicking record of 970, in 18 seasons from 1926-44 and was the Club's leading goalkicker a staggering 11 times (including nine years in-a-row, from 1934-42)!

Having done a bit of research into Titus’ amazing career (courtesy of the Club’s wonderful museum archives), I can tell you I’m more than a tad envious of Uncle Harry and those Tiger supporters of that era who were fortunate enough to watch the ‘jockey-size’ sharpshooter in action.

At the peak of his career, Skinny Titus was 5ft 91/2in and weighed a fraction over 10 stone. Think about that for a moment . . . he was slightly shorter than Clinton King -- and over a stone lighter! That, however, didn’t stop him from putting his remarkable stamp on the game as a full-forward.

Titus more than made up in courage, speed and skill, what he lacked in size. In his playing days he was constantly buffeted by bigger men, but very rarely beaten.

He headed the league goalkicking in 1940 with 100 goals, which was a Club record for 40 years, until Michael Roach kicked 112 in 1980. Another long-standing league record he held was for consecutive games -- 204 in all, from 1933-43. That record wasn't broken until Round 9 of the 1996 season, when Melbourne ruckman Jim Stynes played his 205th consecutive game.

Of course, what made Titus' achievement all the more incredible was the fact that he was built like a whippet! But despite being so small of stature for a key league forward, Titus had very strong fingers and a great spring for his size, which enabled him to take terrific marks. To cap it all off, he was a deadly accurate kick for goal.

Titus was recruited from Castlemaine and started his career at Tigerland with the Richmond Cubs (the reserve-grade team). He played at centre half-back, centre half-forward, wing and half-forward, before carving his niche at full-forward.

When he arrived at Punt Road Oval, Titus had two ambitions -- to win a dancing championship and to become a regular member of the Richmond senior side. He had built quite a reputation as a budding Fred Astaire, before his football prowess caught the eye of the Tiger selectors.

It transpired that when he got his big senior chance with the Tigers, he put in a shocker. The crowd even gave him the 'bird' and advised him to: "Go back to the Green Mill" (a popular Melbourne dance hall of the day)!

But Titus persisted and eventually (he was dropped back to the Cubs twice) those same critics became his biggest fans as he led opposition defenders a merry dance each Saturday afternoon during the season.

A

admin

Richmond's 1932 premiership captain and 1934 premiership captain-coach, Percy Bentley, played football with Titus as a boy at Castlemaine Technical School. Not surprisingly, Bentley was a huge rap for the Tigers' champion little spearhead.

"They call him 'Skinny' down Richmond way, but if he is thin, he is of whipcord," Bentley said in a 1940 Sporting Globe special feature on Titus.

"Out on the field he is as elusive as they come -- a clever, cunning mark, a deadly kick, and a man with an aggravating habit of turning up smiling just where he shouldn't be.

"During his 14 years at Richmond he has taken a tremendous number of hard knocks, but he survives and maintains his form in an amazing manner."

Bentley described Titus as a "freak" among footballers . . .

"There is no better forward in the game than Jack," Bentley said. "Some of his work is amazing in its freakishness. He does the most surprising things, and gets away with it.

"He is as game as they come, and is always in the thick of it. When you remember that there is not too much of him physically, his endurance is amazing.

"But, above all else, Jack's greatest quality is his fighting heart and his spirit of good fellowship on the field and in the rooms."

The man regarded as Richmond's greatest ever player -- and the inaugural 'Immortal' inductee into the Tigers' Hall of Fame, Jack Dyer -- also was lavish in his praise of Titus in the same Sporting Globe article. 'Captain Blood' described him as the best player, pound for pound, that he had ever seen.

"He's a great character, too, Dyer said. "He'll bluff you into believing anything unless you wake up smart to his leg pulling.

"I have seen enough of Jack to know that there isn't a gamer or a cleverer forward in the game than him. And he is a wonderfully unselfish club man. I hope he keeps on kicking goals. It will make it a lot easier for the rest of us."

It wasn't just on the field where Skinny Titus prevailed. His off-field presence at Tigerland was also most significant.

"Whenever Titus is mentioned at the Tiger headquarters he is summed up as the greatest 'character' that ever walked into the room," wrote the author of another Sporting Globe piece on the goalkicking great.

"This is a compliment to his running fire of banter and barrack and his ready wit. His philosophy meets every situation with a joke. As a club man, he has had few equals.

"Around the club rooms, Titus is the arch jester. No one is safe from his pranks. Many have tried to get back at him, but that nimble brain that sees things quickly before they really happen has quickly turned the proposition back on its originator. He has a native wit -- a spontaneous humor that never leaves him stuck for an answer.

"But of more importance is his loyalty to the Club. Few know that two seasons back, Titus gave 10/- (shillings) each week of the season to the best boy in the second 18. He is vice-captain and players' representative on the committee."

A

admin

According to the article, Titus' explanation for his commitment to the Yellow and Black cause was simple.

"I'm in the best club there is and I am going to stay there till I finish," he said.

The article's author subsequently posed the rhetorical question, "Wherein lies the success of Titus?" -- and then proceeded to supply the answer . . .

" He is supremely confident. There is in fact a very perky ego about Jack. He is irrepressible.

"On the Melbourne ground in a final, Richmond came over Carlton with three goals in as many minutes and snatched the laurels away from the Blues. The winning goal was kicked by Titus as the bell rang. Ray Brew was standing on his mark as Jack went back to kick. "You'll miss it!" Brew taunted him. "Oh yeah, watch this," came the reply, and through it went to leave Richmond winners by a few points.

"Titus relies on his judgment in beating opponents. His timing is perfect and his anticipation of the flight of the ball uncanny. All this has been developed. The skill of Titus is of the type that is developed and built on natural ability until it reaches a very high standard.

"He is as cunning as a fox. Experience has given him a quick and certain estimate of the strength and weakness of opponents. He avoids the strength and exploits the weakness. He is as fast as any man in the game over the first 10 yards, while his dash to the ball is deadly in its certainty. It is no use playing him from behind."

Football columnist of the day, P. J. Millard, alias 'Short-Pass', described Titus as "a footballing will o' the wisp, and the most elusive and tantalising forward of the last decade in League football".

“With cat-like stealth and nimbleness, he has perfected the art of giving his man the slip, as a very necessary prelude to one of his deadly shots at goal.

“Jack, of course, is too modest to say so himself; but to those who have watched him in action through his glittering career, it is obvious that his indomitable spirit – his absolute fearlessness – plays just as big a part in his success as his goal-getting technique. This consists, first, of slippery elusiveness, allied with deceptive pace in his dash for a mark. In addition, he possesses rare anticipation, a beautifully-timed leap for marking, a safe pair of hands, and a singularly accurate boot for his telling shots."

A newspaper article by H.B. Jenkinson early in Titus' League career, recounted his two close encounters with death as a youngster . . .

“Physically, this goal harvester looks more like a park-game player than a League forward, but the slim, frail appearance is deceptive and hides a wiry frame of small proportions, but great vitality and tenacity.

“It is, in fact, a frame of such calibre that it has twice defied the closing jaws of death and successfully fought its own way back to vigorous health after medical aid had abandoned it to its fate. In such a constitution there must be some dynamic force of high potentiality that maintains the 10st 5lb of this young player sound enough to withstand the knocks and bumps that come the way of League footballers.

“From his boyhood Titus has been slim and frail in appearance, and two narrow escapes from untimely death did not tend to strengthen him physically. At the ages of seven years and 12 years, his life was despaired of. So grave was his condition that he was anointed for death.

“Typhoid fever contracted at Broken Hill was the first serious illness he battled off when medical men had abandoned hope. His second escapade was the result of a boyhood prank which nearly cost him his life. After eating green fruit one Saturday afternoon Titus, who was then 12 years of age, indulged in a swim and planned to go to the pictures on the Saturday evening. By the time he was ready to go to the pictures, he was feeling queer. Seeking a rest on his bed, he lost consciousness that evening and did not regain it till the following Wednesday morning."

A

admin

Clearly, what came through in my enjoyable research on Jack Titus, was that he was a footballing excitement machine -- and a hugely important factor in Richmond's success during the 1930s-early 1940s.

Titus was a pivotal member of the Tigers' 1932 and 1934 premiership teams, booting six goals in a matchwinning '34 Grand Final display against South Melbourne. He won the Club's Best and Fairest award in 1941 and represented Victoria on 14 occasions.

After retiring as a player in 1943, he joined the Richmond committee, but early in the 1945 season he was approached by VFA club Coburg to make a comeback.

Richmond offered him six months leave of absence and the veteran spearhead scored 119 goals that year to finish second on the Association list to Ron Todd, who amassed 188. Titus kicked a further 20 goals with Coburg in a handful of games in 1946, giving him 139 in just 22 VFA matches, before retiring for good.

Well, almost for good . . .

During the 1948 season, Titus, at age 40, made a brief comeback for Richmond's reserves. The team was one player short, so Titus, who was a Tiger committeeman and selector at the time, agreed to fill in.

He proceeded to bag a 'lazy' dozen goals, to further underline his genius in front of the 'big sticks'. But there were to be no more 'Dame Nellie Melbas' by Skinny, who continued to serve on the Club's committee for many years, and even stood in as senior coach in 1965 when Len Smith became ill.

Titus died in 1978 at age 70, but his legacy undeniably lives on . . .

Each year the AFL hands out the Jack Titus Recognition of Service Award to a person who has made a significant contribution to League football at a club level. That indeed is testimony to the high esteem Titus has been held in -- not only by Richmond, but by the entire football world.

In 1996, Titus was one of 136 inaugural inductees into the Australian Football Hall of Fame. In August, 1999, he was named at full-forward in Richmond's Team of the Century. Then, early this year, he was announced as an inaugural member of the Tigers' Hall of Fame.

If I ever get my hands on H.G. Wells' Time Machine, I know where one of my first stops will be -- Punt Road Oval, some time in the 1930s-early 40s, to watch Jack Titus weave his magic up forward for the Tigers . . .

JACK TITUS IN PROFILE

Born: 3/3/08
Recruited to Richmond from: Castlemaine
Height: 175cm
Weight: 65.5kg
Guernsey number: No. 12
Games played (1926-43): 294
Goals: 970
Honors: Dual premiership player (1932, 1934); League leading goalkicker in 1940 (with 100 goals); 11-time Club leading goalkicker (1929-30, 1934-42); 14-time Victorian State representative; Australian Hall of Fame member; Tigers' Life Member; Richmond Team of the Century member; Tigers' Hall of Fame inductee.