Jack Dyer Quotes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Dyer Quotes

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Not a quote, but a family story, relevant to our times. I may have told it before?

Jack Dyeres aunty (his mums sister) raised 10 kids in a small 2br miners cottage in Gordon. One of them was my granddad.

Not uncommon in catholic country Victoria.

when Aunty was in her 70's, one of her youngest daughters (Jacks first cousin) contracted Tuberculosis.

another one of her youngest daughters (another of Jacks first cousins) nursed her sister and also contracted TB

Both died, leaving Jacks Aunty to raise 4 more toddlers (the oldest was 3yo).

she was in her 70's, had raised 10 kids of her own (2 were still at home),

and now had 4 babies squirming in her bed.

tough times. tough people.

Reactions: 3 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
You gotta laugh when you read something like that and consider that some yuppies these days want their first squillion tucked away before they'll even consider their first offspring.

So you are Jack's first-cousin twice-removed. Richmond royalty!

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
I just remember his saying, “Champagne Football”.

He used to give Louie so much stick on WOS, Lou used to sook up and bite back with something like “just like your footy days, running around belting little fellas”. Jack just used to laugh it off and come back with something witty to put Louie in his box. He always won the verbal jousting old Jack, he was always one step ahead.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I just remember his saying, “Champagne Football”.

He used to give Louie so much stick on WOS, Lou used to sook up and bite back with something like “just like your footy days, running around belting little fellas”. Jack just used to laugh it off and come back with something witty to put Louie in his box. He always won the verbal jousting old Jack, he was always one step ahead.
World Of Sport every Sunday was an institution, it was great watching Jack and Lou sniping at each other.

Here's a little bit of Jack at his best.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
You gotta laugh when you read something like that and consider that some yuppies these days want their first squillion tucked away before they'll even consider their first offspring.

So you are Jack's first-cousin twice-removed. Richmond royalty!

yep, but snakes 1 spot ahead of me in the throne queue. :D

A bit spewing it was pops sister bore Jack and not a brother sired him.

Id love to share a name with the great Capt..

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Here's another one.

I loved this comment, "Dyer was to the Australian game, what Ned Kelly was to Bushranging"

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
again, not a quote, just an interesting titbit.

Jacks Aunty (his mums sister), married a bloke called Tommy Blood.

Im yet to verify if any of Jacks cousins from that joining became high ranking police officers, army officers, or took charge of a ship.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
So pleased I started this thread.

Jack is the embodiment of all that is Richmond, and thrilled, that at least I got to see some of his games, and to marvel at his toughness and skill.

He was unique and a once in a lifetime great man.

Reactions: 4 users