Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
As long as Higgins gets his full health back it will satisfy me. Anything more and it is a bonus for us all especially Jack. You just now he will be trying so hard

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Great way to handle the lads like Syd with the carrot approach instead of the stick.

Good news for Higlett also.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
What values/criteria does that award represent Taz?

This from last year from slowys blog re the Tony Mangan award

The Tony Mangan Award was then presented to Oleg Markov. Oleg was judged to have displayed Tony’s “non-negotiables” value set to an exemplary level throughout the week. A great Richmond Man effort.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
As per MD Jazz answer, hopefully Slowy see this & could explain further.

Lego got it last year, Broady the year previous

Sounds like a 'Best Club Man' type of award?

What do you class as a Best Club Man award??

* get along well with other players
* be a good person on and off the field
* a guy that the young players look up to
* its just an award to make players feel good
* inspires others by overcoming diversity, Bakes for overcoming lack of height and an ugly mullet :) and Higgo, nough said.
*Club clown that makes people laugh and makes it fun to come to work.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Sounds like a 'Best Club Man' type of award?

What do you class as a Best Club Man award??

* get along well with other players
* be a good person on and off the field
* a guy that the young players look up tp
* its just an award to make players feel good
* inspires others by overcoming diversity, Bakes for overcoming lack of height and an ugly mullet :) and Higgo, nough said.
*Club clown that makes people laugh and makes it fun to come to work.

Maybe you should have tied with Bakes?
You do love leading with your chin Caesar!!
:p

• Haha

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Go Jack!

Richmond’s Jack Higgins feared he would never walk again after brain surgery
Jon Ralph & Chris Cavanagh
Herald Sun
January 31, 2020

Jack Higgins was told he could be paralysed or even lose his life if dangerous brain surgery last year went wrong.
The Tigers livewire is back in contact training with Richmond wearing head gear that he will likely use during the season.

It is a giant leap forward from Higgins' first bout of brain surgery, with another operation needed to rectify the symptoms that did not abate after he initially went under the knife.

Higgins has spoken on the club’s website for the first time about the ordeal, revealing how dangerous the operations were.

He believed he would never play football again after 33 games in two years full of exciting moments including the AFL’s goal of the year in 2018.

“I cried a bit when I heard the news, it was really disappointing and really scary when the neurosurgeon said there were a lot of risks with the surgery. I could be paralysed if he touches the wrong thing or never player footy again or even die,” Higgins said.

“I had an unbelievable neurosurgeon and they cut my head open (with a) massive scar and (I spent) two weeks in hospital.

“At the time there were some pretty bad things going through my head and thought I would never play footy again, would never walk again and have to have a carer for the rest of my life.

“So to be out there training from three months ago when I could hardly walk, hardly eat, hurt when I opened and closed my mouth, it’s pretty crazy.”

Higgins had initially suffered headaches during the 2019 season but was quickly rushed to hospital after his symptoms worsened.

“I was playing last year with headaches through matches which was a bit of a hassle but I wasn’t getting any head knocks so I didn’t think it was concussion.

“One time after a match I just felt really bad and couldn’t drive home at night and felt absolutely terrible.

“I went to the club the next day and felt decent and then the next day after that got scans.”

He woke up from the MRI to find five doctors surrounding him.

“Five docs said we need to get to hospital ASAP, we need to get something out of your brain.”

Higgins battled to read or watch TV but a second bout of surgery dramatically improved his prognosis, with the young star every chance of playing against Carlton in Round 1.

“Hopefully I am doing all right. I am doing all right at training, slowly building myself back up.

“I don’t know if I will wear (the helmet) in matches, but the doctor wants me to so I probably will. But if he says no it will be the first thing that comes off.”

Teammate Kane Lambert said Higgins’ return was a boost for every Tiger.

“It’s great to have Higgo back just around the group and he’s integrating back into some contact training as well,” Lambert said.

“He’s a vibrant character and brings a lot of energy.

“You can take perspective from what he’s been through. He was a kid who had the world at his feet and unfortunately had a brain injury that was no fault of his own and his world flipped around.

“He’s got a long road ahead but we’re right behind him.”

There was one scare from the Tigers’ Gold Coast training camp when wingman Kamdyn McIntosh was carried off on a stretcher during training yesterday.

The Tigers hope McIntosh has escaped serious ankle damage despite being sent for X-rays.

McIntosh was eyeing the wing spot left vacant by Brandon Ellis after finishing last year on the outer, missing the Tiger’s second premiership triumph.

Football boss Neil Balme said the club was hopeful he had escaped anything more than ligament damage but were waiting on the result of scans.

“He has an ankle injury and it’s pretty sore but we don’t know the answer yes (about the extent of the injury), football boss Neil Balme said.

Richmond has been buoyed by Jack Higgins return from a pair of brain surgeries, with the busy Tigers forward making strong progress on the track.

He has been in contract drills but wearing protective head gear in training this week.

Toby Nankervis is easing into training after off-season groin surgery, while Jack Graham had off-season shoulder reconstruction after a finals injury that saw him miss the Grand Final.

Midfielder Kane Lambert said yesterday the Tigers were thrilled with Higgins’ progress.

“He’s a kid who had the world at his feet and just unfortunately had a brain injury that was no fault of his own and his world flips around,” Lambert said.

“That’s great perspective.

“He’s learned a lot from the experience and he’s learnt who his close mates are, where his supports are and he’s got a long road ahead but we’re all here behind him.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...g/news-story/582aca14afe77c7b91641e500255201e (paywalled)

Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
He’s looking bulked up.
They might be getting him ready for the midfield

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Higgo was arguably our best player of the 2018 finals series. Clearly was affected by his health issues in 2019.
If he can get back to his best, he'll force his way into the best 22. Fingers crossed for the lad.

Reactions: 7 users