Jack Malcolmson: theme song | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Malcolmson: theme song

premiers2011

Eat 'em Alive!!
Oct 22, 2007
My sister and her partner went to a wedding last week and bumped into Jack Malcolmson who is the orignal author of our current theme song.
She managed to get me a personally signed autograph."Best wishes, Carn the Tiges" with mine and Jack's name.
I'd say that will be a good bit of memorabilia in years to come. Jacks 82 years old but still spritely so I'm told.
It's gonna take pride of place on the bar wall in a frame with the theme song, tiger icon. etc

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
premiers08 said:
My sister and her partner went to a wedding last week and bumped into Jack Malcolmson who is the orignal author of our current theme song.
She managed to get me a personally signed autograph."Best wishes, Carn the Tiges" with mine and Jack's name.
I'd say that will be a good bit of memorabilia in years to come. Jacks 82 years old but still spritely so I'm told.
It's gonna take pride of place on the bar wall in a frame with the theme song, tiger icon. etc
An original original. Very unique mate ;)

premiers2011

Eat 'em Alive!!
Oct 22, 2007
willo said:
An original original. Very unique mate ;)

Yeah, He told my sister the story how in 1962 he was at a VFL function and they played all the theme songs and ours was some feeble rag-time tune. He turned to the Richmond people he was with who must have had some clout around the club, and said that song is rubbish do you want me to see what I can come up with, they said OK and as they say "The rest is History"
I think he had some musical backgrund and was playing the clubs at the time.

PS. He's a Tiger supportwer aswell so he had his heart in it. You can tell best song by the length of the straight

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
premiers08 said:
Yeah, He told my sister the story how in 1962 he was at a VFL function and they played all the theme songs and ours was some feeble rag-time tune. He turned to the Richmond people he was with who must have had some clout around the club, and said that song is rubbish do you want me to see what I can come up with, they said OK and as they say "The rest is History"
I think he had some musical backgrund and was playing the clubs at the time.

PS. He's a Tiger supportwer aswell so he had his heart in it. You can tell best song by the length of the straight
Yeah a read a bit about how it came to be in Rhetts' book.
Not many songwriters can claim fame because of a Clubs' theme song, but Jack certainly can.
Bet you were happy with your sisters quick thinking and generosity Premmy
Just so damn unique

premiers2011

Eat 'em Alive!!
Oct 22, 2007
willo said:
Yeah a read a bit about how it came to be in Rhetts' book.
Not many songwriters can claim fame because of a Clubs' theme song, but Jack certainly can.
Bet you were happy with your sisters quick thinking and generosity Premmy
Just so damn unique

Yeah I was rapt. Not something you get a chance to everyday.

ronnit

Tiger Superstar
Sep 25, 2007
??? did i miss that story at the christmas party yesterday????

pity she didnt have the richmond book with her...

what i want to know dear brother..is why did you get it and not me?????????????????????????????

which sister?

and what i also want to know is..why do they play the song at the ground with the wrong words in it?? we need to ring the club and complain....it is not right! it annoys me....have you guys noticed that too???

premiers2011

Eat 'em Alive!!
Oct 22, 2007
ronnit said:
??? did i miss that story at the christmas party yesterday????

pity she didnt have the richmond book with her...

what i want to know dear brother..is why did you get it and not me?????????????????????????????

which sister?

and what i also want to know is..why do they play the song at the ground with the wrong words in it?? we need to ring the club and complain....it is not right! it annoys me....have you guys noticed that too???

Our eldest one of course. You don't think the other one would have given it to me she would have kept it herself.
Steve's ex wife is related to Jack Malcolmson!
and yes I have noticed they have skin instead of shin on the song at the "G" same as on most ringtones you can download

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
premiers08 said:
Our eldest one of course. You don't think the other one would have given it to me she would have kept it herself.
and yes I have noticed they have skin instead of shin on the song at the "G" same as on most ringtones you can download
You better scan a few copies mate, as I fear there's gonna be some questions asked ;D

premiers2011

Eat 'em Alive!!
Oct 22, 2007
willo said:
If it helps, you may be better off "lending" it out for a while. I'm prepared to help you out mate. ;)

Thanks mate, I'll keep that in mind for when the claws come out! :bash

Don't worry if you read the 1930's footy cards thread you'll see she can get me back "in spades" ;)

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
premiers08 said:
Thanks mate, I'll keep that in mind for when the claws come out! :bash

Don't worry if you read the 1930's footy cards thread you'll see she can get me back "in spades" ;)
Had a look at that thread, mate, you're a goner ;D

ronnit

Tiger Superstar
Sep 25, 2007
ha ha ha........:):)

must get those cards out again......christmas cost me a fortune..all those bloomin neices and nephews.....

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
premiers08 said:

Didn't that get officially changed some time in the 80s? I'm with you, I'd prefer shin.

premiers2011

Eat 'em Alive!!
Oct 22, 2007
TigerGoneNorth said:
Didn't that get officially changed some time in the 80s? I'm with you, I'd prefer shin.

No as far as I know it's still shin. I just looked in Rhetts book and still shin in that

Hes My Hero

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
I know this thread hasnt been used for quite some time, but i just have to throw in my 2 cents.

Jack is a fantastic bloke, i had the priveledge no, honour to sing the song with him at the Centenary celebrations at Punt Rd last week.
I got his autograph in the back of the Y&B book with the words Yellow and Black but it doesn't stop there.

Fortuniately i also had to pop into the offices there and Jack was walking out as i was walking in.
We had a 1 on 1 conversation for a couple of minutes and a couple of photos together.
These are memories that i can share with my grand kids.
By the way for an 82 yo he is looking pretty damn good.

Just thought i would share my experience with the man who has played his part in the way our great song can instill such an emotional presence within our hearts.