Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
tigerlove said:
Well the league always cr@ps on about duty of care. Reiwoldt had Fritsch in a vulnerable position and restrained himself to prevent any injury. Fritsch never cried in pain, or had any ill-effects, and no one remonstrated with Reiwoldt. If anything the league should be giving Reiwoldt $1500 for upholding the AFL law of duty of care.

Yeah thought he held his arm to prevent the handball and was careful enough not to hurt him.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
lukeanddad said:
I didn't think it looked good

Melbourne guy squirmed to show he's making an effort and that was the cause of the bad look. Watch the stable arm position, and shoulders, closely.

E

easy_tiger

Tigaman said:
Barrett had another swipe at Jack today on afl.com site.

barrett is no doubt a tiger hating *smile*.

But I agree with him on this.

Who contests a $1000 fine, when you clearly deserved it?

I would have made it $5k for being a *smile*

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Tigaman said:
Barrett had another swipe at Jack today on afl.com site.

The guy is a moron. I’ve never ever seen him attack a Collingwood player or the club like he does us.
Because He is scared what McGuire could do to him.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
easy said:

Many think he clearly didn't deserve it. I agree with Rewioldt. Barret just attacks Tigers at any opportunity. It's really not front page news. Last week's news.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
easy said:
barrett is no doubt a tiger hating *smile*.

But I agree with him on this.

I would have made it $5k for being a *smile*

Disagree easy. I thought there was very little in it and caused little or no discomfort to the opponent. I reckon Jack went out of his way to make sure he didn't chicken wing him. It was as soft a report as I've seen recently and that's saying something in this day and age.

But agree that Barrett is a Richmond hating tool. There is not a week goes by where he doesn't have a dig at the club in some shape or form. Yet Melbourne is totally pathetic and he's given them "one more chance". ::)

E

easy_tiger

Im sure it been done to death,

but if meleeing costs you $2K and miming snorting drugs cost you $5K,

then surely implementing a wrestling move on a prone bloke, even with fair intent,

costs a grand?

Don't forget that the intent or outcome, potential or otherwise, are never ever taken into consideration except sometimes.

having said that, the MRP really does need to issue a menu with prices

Im only going to read Barrett the week after the preliminary when he says

if Richmond beat Collingwood, then I will lick mason cox

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I tend to agree with Easy that it wasn't a great look. I get that the impact wasn't great and Jack didn't push down on the arn.

Having said that, my biggest issue with it is the umpiring. The umpire seemed to take an age to actually blow the whistle for the free kick, I think Jack was probably on the ground for at least 2 seconds with Fritsch down. This comes back to the other thread and my view that if you are taken to ground having had prior and don't dispose of the ball then you should be gone. Why he had to wait to see if Fritsch could release it and maybe get a kick to it, I don't know.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
easy said:
then surely implementing a wrestling move on a prone bloke, even with fair intent,
costs a grand?

Fair intent do do what? I must be missing something here. Just watched it again just in case. The pure purpose of getting his arm into that position was to prevent opponent from being able to handball. Then when the arm gave way easily in that attempt he held it to ensure it didn't overstretch. His intent clearly was to ensure the arm didn't go further. Kudos to Reiwoldt. I understand why he's not happy with the fine and the insinuation. But that's the AFL for you. Money raising revenue.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
It was such a bad look that Riewoldt got a free kick for it.
There is something fundamentally wrong with the process when a player is fined for an incident where he received a free kick.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
23.21.159 said:
It was such a bad look that Riewoldt got a free kick for it.
There is something fundamentally wrong with the process when a player is fined for an incident where he received a free kick.

That's because he did the thing you're supposed to do to get a free kick.

I'm glad Riewoldt fought this.

Honestly, it's getting borderline impossible to tackle.

A good tackle should:

Hold them, but only when they have the ball, or it's a free kick against.

Hold them when they have the ball, but not above the shoulders or below the knees, or it's a free kick against.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders, but also not on the upper arm, because they'll shrug it into their head, and they'll get a free kick.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, but if you don't grab at least one arm or bring them to ground, they'll handball it away.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground, but don't go in their back, or it's a free kick against.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, but don't swing them around, because they might hit their head and it's a free kick against and a week on the sidelines.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, and manage to not swing them too much, but don't pin both arms because they might hit their head and it's a week (or more) on the sidelines.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, and manage to not swing them too much, and careful not to pin both arms, but don't pin one arm, because it's a bad look and you get a fine.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, and manage to not swing them too much, and careful not to pin both arms, and also don't even pin one arm, and now they are on the ground, but still just handball it away and it's play on.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, and manage to not swing them too much, and careful not to pin both arms, and only pin one arm a little bit, so they drop the ball and you MIGHT get holding the ball, but you might also get "Ball knocked out in the tackle" "No prior" or if you're really lucky, "Holding the man!" Free kick against.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
easy said:
Im sure it been done to death,
but if meleeing costs you $2K and miming snorting drugs cost you $5K,
costs a grand?
Don't forget that the intent or outcome, potential or otherwise, are never ever taken into consideration except sometimes.

Disagree. He didn't implement a wrestling move on a prone opponent. He tackles him, they go to ground, to support himself jack braces himself up with his right arm, his left arm had Fritch by the wrist the whole time and all he does is bend it so he could not reach the ball to dispose of it. He does bend it back but after a couple of seconds eases the pressure off it aware that the free is imminent I suppose. If he wanted to hurt him he could easily have reefed it back a lot further.

You could argue it was the only way, once they went to ground, to prevent Fritch legally disposing of the ball.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Coburgtiger said:

A good tackle should:

Hold them when they have the ball, but not above the shoulders or below the knees, or it's a free kick against.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders, but also not on the upper arm, because they'll shrug it into their head, and they'll get a free kick.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, but if you don't grab at least one arm or bring them to ground, they'll handball it away.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground, but don't go in their back, or it's a free kick against.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, but don't swing them around, because they might hit their head and it's a free kick against and a week on the sidelines.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, and manage to not swing them too much, but don't pin both arms because they might hit their head and it's a week (or more) on the sidelines.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, and manage to not swing them too much, and careful not to pin both arms, but don't pin one arm, because it's a bad look and you get a fine.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, and manage to not swing them too much, and careful not to pin both arms, and also don't even pin one arm, and now they are on the ground, but still just handball it away and it's play on.

Hold them when they have the ball between the knees and shoulders and not the upper arm, and bring them to ground and don't go in their back, and manage to not swing them too much, and careful not to pin both arms, and only pin one arm a little bit, so they drop the ball and you MIGHT get holding the ball, but you might also get "Ball knocked out in the tackle" "No prior" or if you're really lucky, "Holding the man!" Free kick against.

And, if you do all of this then you could still be reported and fined.

It won’t be long before only players who have completed the official tackling accreditation will be able to tackle.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
MD Jazz said:
Disagree. He didn't implement a wrestling move on a prone opponent. He tackles him, they go to ground, to support himself jack braces himself up with his right arm, his left arm had Fritch by the wrist the whole time and all he does is bend it so he could not reach the ball to dispose of it. He does bend it back but after a couple of seconds eases the pressure off it aware that the free is imminent I suppose. If he wanted to hurt him he could easily have reefed it back a lot further.

You could argue it was the only way, once they went to ground, to prevent Fritch legally disposing of the ball.

He doesn’t bend it back - it’s a bit of an illusion.

Once stretched (no angle) the arm is completely stationary. Jack and the arm do not move.

The Melbourne player turns his shoulders into the turf while squirming, causing the angle.

Most of all, Jack has an aggressive expression on his face and that’s what made everyone infer the expression and action were linked - that’s the only way it can possibly be perceived to be a “bad look”. In reality, Jack was angry at the umpire because he knew it was a perfect tackle but hadn’t blown the whistle yet.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Coburgtiger said:

A good tackle should:

This is the reason why we have and luv our Stacka. He don't worry about pissin around with all the technicalities of tackling opponents. He just executes them with a perfect hip n shoulder.