Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
against more quality backmen, he needs to play up the ground more. He is a 80/20 player... win the ball greater than lose it. this will provide better opportunities for the smaller players rather than bombing it long with Jack and Tom outnumbered 4 or 5 to 2. What the demons and cats do well, is flood quickly their backline, chip, chip, into space and give off under no pressure. Our number option is to guard the central corridor with an extra on both HFF.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
against more quality backmen, he needs to play up the ground more. He is a 80/20 player... win the ball greater than lose it. this will provide better opportunities for the smaller players rather than bombing it long with Jack and Tom outnumbered 4 or 5 to 2. What the demons and cats do well, is flood quickly their backline, chip, chip, into space and give off under no pressure. Our number option is to guard the central corridor with an extra on both HFF.
Midfield struggling n ball use going forward has been ordinary at best, small forwards getting sucked way to far up the ground. Lynchman n Jaaack often outnumbered while receiving *smile* delivery makes it very hard for either to have a decent impact on games.

Most clubs have worked out how to nullify some of the effects of our game, or are imitating it well. With our midfield decimated by injury it's making us somewhat of an easy target at the moment. At full strength, we'll happily give all clubs a run for their money.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Such a poor game from a senior player. 2 shockers in a row. Can’t believe posters are having a go at lynch when Jack is stinking it up far worse than big Tom

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
Such a poor game from a senior player. 2 shockers in a row. Can’t believe posters are having a go at lynch when Jack is stinking it up far worse than big Tom
.if dimma reckons ccj unbalances team, on form he should come in for jack

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Two poor games in a row but he has brownie points. Previous to that was having a great season.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Remember Jack was playing amazing at the start of the year. Was up near the top of the Coleman.
Now he needs to retire???

Very fickle here.

Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Remember Jack was playing amazing at the start of the year. Was up near the top of the Coleman.

Very fickle here.
Yeh crazy to suggest that on the back of 2 poor games. But he has been comprehensively beaten by 2 absolute novices in the last 2 weeks, borderline embarrassing. I’d bet he’s never had 3 shockers in a row so looking for a big response next week.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Yeh crazy to suggest that on the back of 2 poor games. But he has been comprehensively beaten by 2 absolute novices in the last 2 weeks, borderline embarrassing. I’d bet he’s never had 3 shockers in a row so looking for a big response next week.

Is anyone actually watching these games?

Jack is not being beaten by novices.

Jack is not being beaten by any one opponent.

He is constantly playing on two or three opponents and having to halve the contest. Which he is doing. He's playing almost identically to 2017.

Have a look at his contest on the wing in the 3rd quarter, where he goes up in a three on one, somehow brings the ball to ground, and Jake Aarts (who in this system gets to play on no one) has no opponent and runs clear through the middle of the ground. Of course, he shanks it into our forward fifty, but because Jack has cleared the whole thing out we still score.

Jack is doing that while also taking the odd speccy, kicking the match saving goal, and setting up team mates.

He was critical, and brilliant last night. Just not classically so.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
On any measure (other than your subjective observations) he was poor, not critical and brilliant.
2 marks, a goal and 3 score involvements would suggest a below par game. He dropped a number he got first hands on and got outpointed by Jack Buckley in his 11th game the week after being pantsed byJack Henry. Maybe he doesn’t like beating on Jacks? He’s not getting the best defender any longer. I’m sure Jack has higher expectations of himself than merely competing in the air and bringing the ball to ground? Understand quick ball movement and long bombing is our shtick but I’d reckon Jack would have liked to have had a bigger impact than he did.
And hopefully the kicking opponents out of contests by flying early doesn’t become a habit, he should have been penalised for an early one (which ended in a tigers goal I think. )
Look forward to the adjectives when he has a blinder.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Is anyone actually watching these games?

Jack is not being beaten by novices.

Jack is not being beaten by any one opponent.

He is constantly playing on two or three opponents and having to halve the contest. Which he is doing. He's playing almost identically to 2017.

Have a look at his contest on the wing in the 3rd quarter, where he goes up in a three on one, somehow brings the ball to ground, and Jake Aarts (who in this system gets to play on no one) has no opponent and runs clear through the middle of the ground. Of course, he shanks it into our forward fifty, but because Jack has cleared the whole thing out we still score.

Jack is doing that while also taking the odd speccy, kicking the match saving goal, and setting up team mates.

He was critical, and brilliant last night. Just not classically so.
I do find it hard to believe that Reiwoldt and Lynch are playing against 2 or 3 opponents each. If true then they need to separate from each other more. And players up the field then need to look for the 3 or so Tigers without an opponent. Reiwoldt had a poor game, pure and simple. Not from lack of trying. You'd never question Jack in that area.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
On any measure (other than your subjective observations) he was poor, not critical and brilliant.
2 marks, a goal and 3 score involvements would suggest a below par game. He dropped a number he got first hands on and got outpointed by Jack Buckley in his 11th game the week after being pantsed byJack Henry. Maybe he doesn’t like beating on Jacks? He’s not getting the best defender any longer. I’m sure Jack has higher expectations of himself than merely competing in the air and bringing the ball to ground? Understand quick ball movement and long bombing is our shtick but I’d reckon Jack would have liked to have had a bigger impact than he did.
And hopefully the kicking opponents out of contests by flying early doesn’t become a habit, he should have been penalised for an early one (which ended in a tigers goal I think. )
Look forward to the adjectives when he has a blinder.

You are wrong.

Here's some adverbs for you.

Completely and utterly.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

Very fickle here.
It’s a bizarre way to put it, however I reckon his goal kicking early masked his form a bit , so many one on one contests he would have once won, just goin imho, Lynch is getting the double teams, if Jack can find form it will make a huge difference, I wouldnt be against CJ coming in and letting Jack get up the ground more , brilliant field kick.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
I’d expect Houli to retire before Jack does
Jack still has a lot to offer it doesn’t help that he’s always got 2 or 3 players on him all the time

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I do find it hard to believe that Reiwoldt and Lynch are playing against 2 or 3 opponents each. If true then they need to separate from each other more. And players up the field then need to look for the 3 or so Tigers without an opponent. Reiwoldt had a poor game, pure and simple. Not from lack of trying. You'd never question Jack in that area.

You might find it hard to believe, but it makes sense when you see our forward fifty in person. 4 of our forwards are smalls, three of which push immediately into the midfield, or on to the wing. Usually a couple of opponents go with them, but we almost always set up with an outnumber forward.

Aarts is the only other forward that stays mostly forward (though he moved a lot further up the ground last night) and his opponent always sags off to intercept.

Rioli and Castagna don't demand an aerial opponent, even when they are there.

Dusty is the only other one who always draws a tight opponent, but he is really good at sneaking deep to cause a one on one, as he moves in and out of the mid.

Plus, and here's the important one, we want Jack going up against two or three. We design it that way.

It's one of the reasons Dusty gets one and their backman are out of position enough to turn it over back to us.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
It’s a bizarre way to put it, however I reckon his goal kicking early masked his form a bit , so many one on one contests he would have once won, just goin imho, Lynch is getting the double teams, if Jack can find form it will make a huge difference, I wouldnt be against CJ coming in and letting Jack get up the ground more , brilliant field kick.
Yeh, I’d like to see him getting some easier ball up the ground as you say his field kicking and vision is elite. Might get some confidence back in his marking to get a bit more of the ball in his hands.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Very fickle here.
Yeah, it makes me laugh. Play some good footy at 32 and many are “he could play another 3 or 4 seasons”.

Play some ordinary footy at 32 and many are “it’s time to retire”

Reactions: 1 users