Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

Tames

Tiger Superstar
Apr 3, 2005
Melbourne
Still playing selfless footy and kicking 50. Hard to argue any major changes to his role with that form.

Reactions: 1 user

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Good luck to $hai but I really wanted Jackaranda to win MOTY.
I guess height wins over courage.
Although Jackmond got good height also.
Out of interest (of the so called comparison with his cousin) did Nick win MOTY with that similar mark to Jack's?
Hope not.
I think Jumping Jack has his cousin covered in most areas now.
Will pass him on goals early next year but prob not on games.
Would have to play in 2023.
Congrats, JR8, on another fine season!

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Good luck to $hai but I really wanted Jackaranda to win MOTY.
I guess height wins over courage.
Although Jackmond got good height also.
Out of interest (of the so called comparison with his cousin) did Nick win MOTY with that similar mark to Jack's?
Hope not.
I think Jumping Jack has his cousin covered in most areas now.
Will pass him on goals early next year but prob not on games.
Would have to play in 2023.
Congrats, JR8, on another fine season!

Nick's was the best I have seen. Jackmond a very close second. Shai's was a great mark enhanced by a high kick for extra flair.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Still playing selfless footy and kicking 50. Hard to argue any major changes to his role with that form.
Hopefully he's able to contribute that again obviously.

However there's also a chance he could fall off the cliff.
I don't think Jack's '21 season was anywhere near as good as it looked on the stats sheet & equally I don't think Lynch's was as bad as made out.
Jack's now arguably getting the oppositions 3rd tall defender. Big difference to getting the no 1 key back.
Does worry me somewhat if he can't go to the well again now that Chol & CJ have departed.
Fingers crossed our champ can go to the well again.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Jack has gone past Richo as my all time Richmond forward.
Unbelievable player.
Smart footballer and there arent many out there.
Cotchin Martin Edwards and Grimes are one in a generation.
We won't replace them for another 100 years.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Jack has gone past Richo as my all time Richmond forward.
Unbelievable player.
Smart footballer and there arent many out there.
Cotchin Martin Edwards and Grimes are one in a generation.
We won't replace them for another 100 years.
I think you might be forgetting just how good Richo was Zipps.

When we were sh!te Richo gave you a reason to go to the footy. My biggest lament is that the RFC were unable to give him a decent side to play in. If we had, Locketts goal kicking record might have been in trouble and he would be in the Hart, Carey, Lockett, Dunstall debate for the best key forward of all time.

Jacks great, but Richardson is an out and out champion. No comparison as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: 8 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

When we were sh!te Richo gave you a reason to go to the footy. My biggest lament is that the RFC were unable to give him a decent side to play in. If we had, Locketts goal kicking record might have been in trouble and he would be in the Hart, Carey, Lockett, Dunstall debate for the best key forward of all time.

Jacks great, but Richardson is an out and out champion. No comparison as far as I'm concerned.
I love Jack.
Jack is the man

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Loved Richo, but given Jack’s achievements (3 Colemans, 3 flags, 300+ games) he’d have to be at least level pegging Richo.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Loved Richo, but given Jack’s achievements (3 Colemans, 3 flags, 300+ games) he’d have to be at least level pegging Richo.
It's not Richo's fault we didn't win flags when he was in the side so I don't see what that has to do with it. Don't forget Richo did his knee otherwise he too would have played 300 games. I know it's not all about the stats but i will point out the Rich had more kicks, marks, goals and behinds than Jack whilst playing 23 fewer games and having to come back from a knee.

I know we live in an era where we believe everything is better today than it was in days gone by but that doesn't make it the case.

Look I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It's not Richo's fault we didn't win flags when he was in the side so I don't see what that has to do with it. Don't forget Richo did his knee otherwise he too would have played 300 games. I know it's not all about the stats but i will point out the Rich had more kicks, marks, goals and behinds than Jack whilst playing 23 fewer games and having to come back from a knee.

I know we live in an era where we believe everything is better today than it was in days gone by but that doesn't make it the case.

Look I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!
Yeh, imagine Richo in the 2017-2020 teams with the way we moved the ball & attacked directly and with repeat entries? Richo had the ball kicked on his head, at his feet, at his opponent.....and still often marked it. He was a freak. Maybe the best contested mark I have seen. And well suited to the modern style of running up and down the oval. How many easy over the back goals would Richo have kicked, no one could keep up with him. Think Jeremy Cameron but with ability and heart.

Reactions: 4 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Yeh, imagine Richo in the 2017-2020 teams with the way we moved the ball & attacked directly and with repeat entries? Richo had the ball kicked on his head, at his feet, at his opponent.....and still often marked it. He was a freak. Maybe the best contested mark I have seen. And well suited to the modern style of running up and down the oval. How many easy over the back goals would Richo have kicked, no one could keep up with him. Think Jeremy Cameron but with ability and heart.
Spot on MDJ. Some of the delivery to him was, well abysmal is too kind a description for it and his opponents could do anything they liked to him and be called to "PLAY ON".

Despite all that he still managed to kick 800 goals, 3 times All Australian, AFL & Richmond Hall of Fame, Tasmanian & Richmond Team of Century, 13 times Richmonds leading goal kicker, Jack Dyer medalist and equal 3rd in the 2008 Brownlow Medal. Not a bad CV.

It's a real pity we didn't get to see him play in a top side but I'm thankful that he played in my generation. Had the pleasure of meeting him quite a few times and can honestly say that he's a ripping bloke as well.

The word champion gets bandied about a bit but Richo absolutely is. On and off the field.

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Wash your mouth out Jezza Cameron isn't Richardson ball sack

• Haha

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
I can't disagree with any of the arguments for both, I'm glad I got to see both of these guys in their prime. The only thing i'd mention is that Jack played in poor teams too and played well.

We need another Tassie forward with an 'R' in their initals

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I'd love to play Jack high in the wheel and go position he does so well but I'm worried he'd get burned too often doing that. Oppo working off him on the wing is dangerous.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Benny played a bit up forward as well
He did, but Benny played a few positions. I remember a game against the Dogs (probably the best game of his career) and at various stages of that game he played key roles in defence, attack and ruck. It was like there were 3 of him on the ground.