Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
He did, but Benny played a few positions. I remember a game against the Dogs (probably the best game of his career) and at various stages of that game he played key roles in defence, attack and ruck. It was like there were 3 of him on the ground.
He did. I remember a few games against the hawks where he played down back and just kept getting mark after mark, it was almost like the hawthorn players were pinpointing it to him

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
He did. I remember a few games against the hawks where he played down back and just kept getting mark after mark, it was almost like the hawthorn players were pinpointing it to him
Benny often downplays his career, but he was better than he makes it sound. Fairly underrated.

Reactions: 1 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
The Jack Vs Richo show
its like picking your favourite child

I only get to se limited games live , but devour all our TV coverage
Richo had a presence , he attached the ball and opposition attention
his dummy spits , although many times justified did him no favours with either team mates or umpires
although he did seem to temper his approach to umps and in his later years got a much better go

he had the tank to burn most defenders and we as a club didn't harness the opportunity
players not lowering their eyes and kicking to him and so often kicking 10mtrs plus above his head
when he did stay back and we mindlessly bombed it on his head he took some serious contested marks ,so much so he often topped contested marks for the year

late in his career when Wallace chucked him on a wing , he did that seriously well , nobody in that part of the ground could out mark him and with ball in hand
he had poise and would look for inboard options that would really open play right up , its a pitty this wasn't thought of a couple of years earlier

and every year for a few games he would turn the result our way off his actions
two different games both V Lions at Etithad
2008 Richo on a wing , switched forward for the last qtr spotting the Lions a big lead , he had been important all night , but going forward straightened us up , kicked 3 in the last and was BOG , the crowd of over 30,000 went off

cant pick the year but was 2 or 3 years before that Richo kicks 5 in the 1st qtr , he was unstoppable , the last one at qtr time was from the 50 arc on the boundary , goal ump didn't move , the crowd was more stunned , people knew they witnessed greatness
his whole package is seeing him referred to as a great of the game by non Richmond people

roll forward to Jack and the defensive craft of sides now mean tall forwards cant kick the bags of goal they once did
but kick bags he does , he doesn't cut as big a figure as Richo but he has crashed so many packs and taken serious speccies he will go down as one of the great pack marks of the game

in 2017 , with him as our main tall , he had to reinvent himself and play very team orientated and he has done that so well
in 2020 GF last qtr a mark on the boundry 30 mtrs out , drills it and seals the game and over the stretch he has kicked many clutch goals
high lighting his sutble skills , game V GWS in /sydney raining all game , the ball is kicked to him 1 out high half forward
he works the ball to the boundry , manages to manoever himself goal side , scoops up the ball got a couple of strides in and kicks a slider
ridiculous level of skill if you don't mind and in the past few years deft little taps to players running past , can hold up hand passes in traffic to create gaps
he is highly regarded with our 4 walls and is a Club great , no debate there
is JAck a great of the game ? might depend how he finishes , fitting in with team needs 2017-2021 might have robbed him of being a great of the game , but the compensation is 3 premierships and all the reunions that go with that !!!

love em both

Reactions: 3 users

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
is JAck a great of the game ? might depend how he finishes , fitting in with team needs 2017-2021 might have robbed him of being a great of the game , but the compensation is 3 premierships and all the reunions that go with that !!!is JAck a great of the game ? might depend how he finishes , fitting in with team needs 2017-2021 might have robbed him of being a great of the game , but the compensation is 3 premierships and all the reunions that go with that !!!
The Jack Vs Richo show
its like picking your favourite child

I only get to se limited games live , but devour all our TV coverage
Richo had a presence , he attached the ball and opposition attention
his dummy spits , although many times justified did him no favours with either team mates or umpires
although he did seem to temper his approach to umps and in his later years got a much better go

he had the tank to burn most defenders and we as a club didn't harness the opportunity
players not lowering their eyes and kicking to him and so often kicking 10mtrs plus above his head
when he did stay back and we mindlessly bombed it on his head he took some serious contested marks ,so much so he often topped contested marks for the year

late in his career when Wallace chucked him on a wing , he did that seriously well , nobody in that part of the ground could out mark him and with ball in hand
he had poise and would look for inboard options that would really open play right up , its a pitty this wasn't thought of a couple of years earlier

and every year for a few games he would turn the result our way off his actions
two different games both V Lions at Etithad
2008 Richo on a wing , switched forward for the last qtr spotting the Lions a big lead , he had been important all night , but going forward straightened us up , kicked 3 in the last and was BOG , the crowd of over 30,000 went off

cant pick the year but was 2 or 3 years before that Richo kicks 5 in the 1st qtr , he was unstoppable , the last one at qtr time was from the 50 arc on the boundary , goal ump didn't move , the crowd was more stunned , people knew they witnessed greatness
his whole package is seeing him referred to as a great of the game by non Richmond people

roll forward to Jack and the defensive craft of sides now mean tall forwards cant kick the bags of goal they once did
but kick bags he does , he doesn't cut as big a figure as Richo but he has crashed so many packs and taken serious speccies he will go down as one of the great pack marks of the game

in 2017 , with him as our main tall , he had to reinvent himself and play very team orientated and he has done that so well
in 2020 GF last qtr a mark on the boundry 30 mtrs out , drills it and seals the game and over the stretch he has kicked many clutch goals
high lighting his sutble skills , game V GWS in /sydney raining all game , the ball is kicked to him 1 out high half forward
he works the ball to the boundry , manages to manoever himself goal side , scoops up the ball got a couple of strides in and kicks a slider
ridiculous level of skill if you don't mind and in the past few years deft little taps to players running past , can hold up hand passes in traffic to create gaps
he is highly regarded with our 4 walls and is a Club great , no debate there
is JAck a great of the game ? might depend how he finishes , fitting in with team needs 2017-2021 might have robbed him of being a great of the game , but the compensation is 3 premierships and all the reunions that go with that !!!

love em both
One more flag and another 50 goal haul will definitely help cement JR8’s legacy as a great of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Round 19, 2006. We smashed them. 14 goals to 1 at half time.
This page says he kicked one with 13 seconds to go in the first quarter.
But he kicked "only" three in the first quarter, two in the second, one in the third.

• Love

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
What is it about Richmond and forwards from Tassie? Royce, Disco, Richo and Jack.
Benny Gale was mentioned.

Don't forget the other Ben.

Harro.

Ben Harrison.
Another Tassie boy.
Although not really in the league of the esteemed names above.
Was a good mate of Richo's so gets a mention because of that.
Was quite serviceable for 4 or 5 years.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Benny Gale was mentioned.

Don't forget the other Ben.

Harro.

Ben Harrison.
Another Tassie boy.
Although not really in the league of the esteemed names above.
Was a good mate of Richo's so gets a mention because of that.
Was quite serviceable for 4 or 5 years.
Harro came to us fro Carlton and eventually wound up at the Dogs, didn’t he?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Jack has given his opinion on a few DFAs:

“There’s a few hidden gems I reckon for teams to come in and grab as delisted free agents,” Riewoldt told SEN Hobart.

“Here’s a couple of names for you. Charlie Constable, he’s always been on the fringe at the Cats, I think he’ll get another gig somewhere else.

“Jarrod Brander was floated as a trade and then somehow has ended up a delisted free agent, Trent Dumont as well.

“Tyson Stengle’s going to get another go and he’s done it the right way.

“I think the addition of Eddie Betts down at Geelong is going to have a massive impact for Stengle. Lived with him in Adelaide and will provide the platform off-field for Tyson to play his best footy down there at the Cattery.

“Levi Casboult’s an interesting one, he’s going to the Suns to fill a role up there.

“Jack Lonie, he’s a good little small forward, but has been pushed out a little bit by the younger small forwards that have come through from the Saints.

“One name, and I think he will stay at Collingwood, but there may be a different suitor for him.

“At his best, and I’ve seen it first hand, he can singlehandedly win a game as he did in 2018 in the Prelim.”

The delisted free agency period will run between November 3rd and November 9th

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
He did, but Benny played a few positions. I remember a game against the Dogs (probably the best game of his career) and at various stages of that game he played key roles in defence, attack and ruck. It was like there were 3 of him on the ground.
The drawn game against the bombers in 1995 was another big game of his.

James Hird was "injecting" some drive at one end for them, and Benny was dominating for us.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
The drawn game against the bombers in 1995 was another big game of his.

James Hird was "injecting" some drive at one end for them, and Benny was dominating for us.
My memory isn’t as good as others but I remember a Friday night game against Collingwood where Benny was great , dropping back in defence marking everything ( I’m sure it was Collingwood)

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
My memory isn’t as good as others but I remember a Friday night game against Collingwood where Benny was great , dropping back in defence marking everything ( I’m sure it was Collingwood)
I think you’re right. He saved a goal in defence and after the game said he’d lost a contact lens and couldn’t see properly which is why he stuck his hand up and hoped.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users