Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Jacks earnt the right to play on , I think the end is very near , with his class and smarts he’ll still be able to play a role, however I’d like to play Ryan in his role at this point , Young maybe underrated ? However Jack 4 years ago smashes a player of that quality , last couple of seasons Jacks had marks spoiled that Jack used to mark, now Jack is getting out marked . In saying that it’s March and it’s a long season ahead.
I think people are seeing more of this because its Jack. Jack had 6 marks, 4 of them contested. Only 3 players during the game had 4 CM's, everyone else was lower. Those 3 were McKay, Lynch and Jack.

I reckon this is being blown way out of proportion.

Jack played well yesterday and bar some poor kicking to him (that favoured Young) he was involved, competed well and took marks when he was expected to.

Reactions: 9 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I think people are seeing more of this because its Jack. Jack had 6 marks, 4 of them contested. Only 3 players during the game had 4 CM's, everyone else was lower. Those 3 were McKay, Lynch and Jack.

I reckon this is being blown way out of proportion.

Jack played well yesterday and bar some poor kicking to him (that favoured Young) he was involved, competed well and took marks when he was expected to.
My thoughts are more I suppose on the downward arc over the past couple of seasons , Jacks a champion , however imho he’s so far from his best , love to see him play somewhere near where he once was , to me we need more from our 2nd KPF , Lynch needs help to get more one on ones , I think Ryan can start to now offer atleast what Jack can, as well as been able to help out in the ruck, im still far from convinced re Miller and definitely don’t see him as a forward , Cumberland offers much much more

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
My thoughts are more I suppose on the downward arc over the past couple of seasons , Jacks a champion , however imho he’s so far from his best , love to see him play somewhere near where he once was , to me we need more from our 2nd KPF , Lynch needs help to get more one on ones , I think Ryan can start to now offer atleast what Jack can, as well as been able to help out in the ruck, im still far from convinced re Miller and definitely don’t see him as a forward , Cumberland offers much much more

He's certainly not at his best, but we shouldn't expect that from him, he's 34 now. Its a bit like saying Dusty isn't great anymore, because he's not as good as he was in 2017.

Jack still stacks up very well as a 2nd tall in the comp. IMO there are 3 standout duos in the AFL. Hawkins / Cameron, Lynch / Jack and Curnow / MacKay.

To be 3rd in that group is not a bad thing. Both Curnow and Mackay should be in their prime. Jack and Hawkins are both performing very well for their age against comparable players in the AFL.

Maybe we have just been lucky to see Jack be so good for such a long period of time, that a drop off seems like he is poorer but he's still 1 of the better forwards in the comp, hence why he was still ranked highly for average goals per game last year (joint 25th) and kicked 40 goals (joint 20th for total goals).

I'd like to see Ryan get more game time this year, he certainly has something. Agree a touch on Miller. I like him in the ruck and in defence, but he doesn't have a lot of forward craft.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
He's certainly not at his best, but we shouldn't expect that from him, he's 34 now. Its a bit like saying Dusty isn't great anymore, because he's not as good as he was in 2017.

Jack still stacks up very well as a 2nd tall in the comp. IMO there are 3 standout duos in the AFL. Hawkins / Cameron, Lynch / Jack and Curnow / MacKay.

To be 3rd in that group is not a bad thing. Both Curnow and Mackay should be in their prime. Jack and Hawkins are both performing very well for their age against comparable players in the AFL.

Maybe we have just been lucky to see Jack be so good for such a long period of time, that a drop off seems like he is poorer but he's still 1 of the better forwards in the comp, hence why he was still ranked highly for average goals per game last year (joint 25th) and kicked 40 goals (joint 20th for total goals).

I'd like to see Ryan get more game time this year, he certainly has something. Agree a touch on Miller. I like him in the ruck and in defence, but he doesn't have a lot of forward craft.
It’s where I disagree that Jacks in the best few 2nd key forwards in the comp. As you point out his 34 , that’s basically why I personally have very little expectations on the champ any more, I’ll stand corrected by facts , however I’d believe Jacks had very little influence on games against top line defenders and defences the last couple of seasons , I’m not convinced Ryan is the answer this season , however I think he’ll work better in the 22

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't know how anyone can really assess Jack's performance last night given the woeful delivery inside 50.

I was at the game and way too many balls going straight to Carlton defenders. Jack was fine from what I saw, the issues were further up the ground.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I dunno how they calculate them but Jack had the highest AFL Player Rating points in the game last night, ahead of The Prince. Also led the game for tackles inside 50.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
I dunno how they calculate them but Jack had the highest AFL Player Rating points in the game last night, ahead of The Prince. Also led the game for tackles inside 50.

I think from memory that Jack had the most contested marks on Thursday night, so that would have helped.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Is it? Change to whom? Miller? Ryan? Gibcus? I do agree with you, forced change is coming. I just don't know who it will be.
Ryan (preferably) or Miller. Both need senior opportunities to improve at this point.
Jack (whilst still going ok) isn't improving & won't at this stage.

There was a lot of opportunities up forward for Jackmond vs the Blues but Young (20 disposals, 14 intercept possessions, eight marks) repelled a truckload of them.
He's still a wily old fox & is contributing but the decline is noticeable. Especially in terms of his leap & speed. He's not getting separation.
At a certain point a vet is holding a kid back. It's right about now.

Last edited:

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Jack playing this season is a clear sign to me that we see ourselves in a premiership window.

Dimma will persevere here unless it becomes patently obvious that we cannot win the flag, and that will only occur if we cannot make the finals.

I support Dimma and the club on this. We do not have an abundance of young talent coming through and it is a way off being ready for AFL.

I realise that Ryan coming in is probably a sign we need some over up forward (as well as for Nank), but Riewoldt traditionally plays the mobile tall forward role that I don't see anyone else remotely ready to play yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I realise that Ryan coming in is probably a sign we need some over up forward (as well as for Nank), but Riewoldt traditionally plays the mobile tall forward role that I don't see anyone else remotely ready to play yet.
Cumberland is the closest we have to Jack's type. Bauer also is the wings but not sure he's much good.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Dont under estimate the value of onfield coaching Jack might do with Sampson

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I think they spin the MRO wheel, and allocate them that many points.

With respect, anyone who thinks JR wont play a huge part in the '23 flag,

Should get a brain MRI urgently

It'll show a little blurry dull bit in one of the lobes.

Its entirely reversible in most cases though,

Often within 15 minutes

• Haha

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Wrapped that Samson got a gig, if he stays in the side it will allow Jack to be the best 3rd tall in the AFL.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Wrapped that Samson got a gig, if he stays in the side it will allow Jack to be the best 3rd tall in the AFL.

I think Jack has three main roles in 2023

1. Cerebral, on field coach
2. Freakishly clever goal assists, often without anyone knowing; and
3. Leading goal kicker in the preliminary final

Of course, he will drag us over the line in a couple of crucial H&A games as well.

He might even do a richo and podium the brownlow off a wing yet.

Hes an extraordinary champion. Extraordinary even amongst champions.

Only fools will judge him these last couple of years in the same way they did a decade ago.

Reactions: 7 users