Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
graystar1 said:
Would not be surprised if Jack was to miss the rest of this season.

Not too sure how serious a PCL injury is, but going on his comments on AFL 360 last night he is no certainty for quite a while.

Big loss for us if that is the case, and worst case scenario is if he decided to give the game away altogether. Age could be a factor.

Have posted this same post on the injury site so if the moderators wants to delete from here feel free.

They will get him back.
The last 4.games then the break before the finals...

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
pete and tys said:
Starting to look like JR might be better to have a PCL reco and be right for next season.
Hope I am wrong and the current strategy works. Seems a huge risk.

Been reading up on it and also have a mate who works with Dr Julian Feller.
He's going to talk with him tomorrow. If it's a full tear ( Grade 3 ) as reported, then it looks unusual for a professional sportsman to not have reconstructive surgery.

Patients who have a complete PCL tear with less than 8 mm of posterior translation can be considered for a non-operative rehabilitation program in special circumstances. However, in most patients who have 8 mm or more of increased posterior knee translation, there is a much higher likelihood than not that these patients will need a posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery to improve their knee function and decrease their chances of developing knee arthritis. Thus, in a higher-level athlete, it is usually recommended to proceed with the PCL knee reconstruction because results of acute reconstructions are much better than chronic reconstructions.

Posterior cruciate ligament pain injuries are classified according to the amount of injury to the functional ligament:

Grade 1 PCL Sprain: A small partial tear
Grade 2 PCL Sprain: A near complete tear
Grade 3 PCL Tear: A complete tear whereas the ligament becomes non-functional; usually this occurs with injuries to other knee ligaments (most commonly the posterolateral knee structures)
Most isolated grade 1 and 2 PCL sprain injuries should be treated with a non-operative program to include functional rehabilitation of the quadriceps mechanism and the possible use of a jack brace to help reduce the knee into a normal (neutral) position. Dr. LaPrade strongly encourages patients with a partial PCL tear to participate in this rehabilitation program.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
The idea was probably to try a non surgical approach and then if that doesn't work have the reconstruction. Hopefully it works.

E

easy_tiger

As if we would run a finals campaign with our Jack.

Even on one leg, he'd be vital.

At best, it will be round 17/18,

at worst, it will be an old fashioned

'Brave Jack revels he swung the momentum in the GF on one leg'

first Monday in October headline

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
easy said:
As if we would run a finals campaign with our Jack.

Even on one leg, he'd be vital.

At best, it will be round 17/18,

at worst, it will be an old fashioned

'Brave Jack revels he swung the momentum in the GF on one leg'

first Monday in October headline

Hopefully learned our lesson playing injured/sick players in the preliminary final debacle of 2018.

Doubt any players, no matter who they are, will be playing in September on one leg!

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
toby64 said:
Hopefully learned our lesson playing injured/sick players in the preliminary final debacle of 2018.

Doubt any players, no matter who they are, will be playing in September on one leg!

Didn't you reckon we were done and dusted with such an average list? Now you think we will be playing Sep?

E

easy_tiger

toby64 said:

As long as they aren't shitting through the eye of a needle, 1 legged is sweet

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
MD Jazz said:
Didn't you reckon we were done and dusted with such an average list? Now you think we will be playing Sep?

I'm flattered you are tracking my posts, but perhaps you need to take more notice of their context.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Hardwick was asked this morning (fox sports) about the ‘set back’ and he said that they were ready for his return just after the bye, but will only be a couple weeks after now.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
zippadeee said:
Hardwick was asked this morning (fox sports) about the ‘set back’ and he said that they were ready for his return just after the bye, but will only be a couple weeks after now.

so round 17 or 18

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Dont Argue said:
Been reading up on it and also have a mate who works with Dr Julian Feller.

From my googling, a Grade 3 PCL involves no damage to other ligaments and can be left to rehab over 3 months. Grade 4 is where other ligaments are damaged, and this is likely to need surgery and 9-12 months.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
From my googling, a Grade 3 PCL involves no damage to other ligaments and can be left to rehab over 3 months. Grade 4 is where other ligaments are damaged, and this is likely to need surgery and 9-12 months.
I read the same. Pretty cool how a PCL can repair itself from a complete tear. I wish my ACL could've done that.

Lynch is the cautionary tale here. He did his late 2017. Rested it as per the medical prognosis over the break. Flared up throughout 2018 culminating in surgery mid year. Fast forward to RD10 2019 he's still not back to his best. I hope they are very different injuries and that we're not taking unnecessary risks with Riewoldt. No reason not to trust the medical team... just saying.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Jack is totally selfless and fearless in pursuit of greatness. Whatever happens, we know he’ll be a terminator for several more years yet, and he’ll still be a massive force behind the scenes when recovering.

Hypothetically, if the odds could guarantee say 4-5 games this year, but there’d be say a 70% chance it leads to a full reco in October that takes 11 months to recover from... do you take it?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
toby64 said:
I'm flattered you are tracking my posts, but perhaps you need to take more notice of their context.

Hard to miss their negativity.

toby64 said:
Gee the skill level is terrible. There are some very ordinary players out there.

toby64 said:
He’s playing a typical Brandon Ellis game. Not surprised at all. Made a career out of it.
Very lucky to have a premiership medal. A few of em are.

toby64 said:
Yep, as is Hardwick taking us to a flag in 2017 on the back of 4 guns and 18 role players. There are some bog ordinary footballers who are Richmond premiership players as a result

toby64 said:
I don’t think we will make the 8 this year.
And that won’t necessarily be a bad thing as long as we unearth a few more Sydney stacks this season.
Our success has been built largely on 4-5 guns and a lot of role players, some of whom are very, very limited footballers. They are being exposed now so hopefully they get replaced over the year and that makes us a better side in the longer term.

toby64 said:
He took a team of 4 champions, a few good players and a hell of a lot of role players, some who aren't actually very good footballers to a premiership.
The guy can coach. In fact I reckon history will show that getting that side to a flag and an 18 game winning season the year after was one of the best coaching performances in modern times.

toby64 said:
The effectiveness of the don’t argue has been nullified. Can’t break out of packs and into space which is where he is so damaging. Getting caught and getting possessions in traffic which are usually hack kicks and dodgy handballs. He isn’t very clean in tight.
My fear is you take his trick away and all you are left with is a dime a dozen mid.

toby64 said:
Dogs have a good midfield. So do pies and Giants. All have flogged us.
It all starts in the middle and our mids either don’t get enough of the ball, or those that do butcher it.

toby64 said:
Agree. And our losses have been floggings, and we don’t win big so our % will be an issue as well.
Midfield ain’t good enough. General skills ain’t good enough.
We are middle of the road.

So our midfields crap, dusty is dime a dozen, just a few good players......yet here we are in 4th. Any positive thoughts now we are doing OK?

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
MD Jazz said:

So our midfields crap, dusty is dime a dozen, just a few good players......yet here we are in 4th. Any positive thoughts now we are doing OK?

I said earlier that I'm flattered you are monitoring my posts. Now I'm a bit more concerned than flattered.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
MD Jazz said:

A man on a mission!

Imagine how much fun you could have scrolling through some of the ‘game day’ hysteria that we get from some in these parts...

E

easy_tiger

123kid said:
Hypothetically, if the odds could guarantee say 4-5 games this year, but there’d be say a 70% chance it leads to a full reco in October that takes 11 months to recover from... do you take it?

If the games were finals, and he could play at 90%, I'd take it

he's a champion match winner. Arguably our No.1 champion matchwinner

you've gotta take your chances when they are there.