Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Its a small thing and it really doesn't bother me when we win, But I reckon Premiership medal dias should be players only. Milestone games strap as many kids on as you want, its an individual acheivement.

Where do you draw the line? little kids only?, up to 5, 10? Can the coach bring their adult kids up? Nephews and nieces if you don't have kids and want in on the action? Parents, grandparents? I'm not really against any of these, but why should any be excluded, logically?

no biggie but no for me. :afro
Said to the wife during the presentation that some sourpuss who complain about this....never thought it would be a fellow tiger! ;) Had my money on Cornes or Barrett.

Its part of our culture. Its about being inclusive. Its about celebrating the moment with those that are most important to you. it's our fabric. If it's what the players want to do then let them do it. May we see the RFC doing it for many years to come.

Reactions: 2 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Our issue will be too many players leaving at once. Two of the older players should go this year. Just my opinion. Think jack should go.
Look at it this way jack and Houli going this year give us a jeremy cameron type player. I would do that in a heart beat.
Both champions both professionals and they need to make way for the future.
And the replacement option that’s right to go is!?!!

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I reckon Jack is big man enough and a good club man to know when he feels his time is up before the coaches
Pffft. I’ll be doing the thinking for Jack and club. I believe I have earned that right since being on PRE for so long.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Said to the wife during the presentation that some sourpuss who complain about this....never thought it would be a fellow tiger! ;) Had my money on Cornes or Barrett.

Its part of our culture. Its about being inclusive. Its about celebrating the moment with those that are most important to you. it's our fabric. If it's what the players want to do then let them do it. May we see the RFC doing it for many years to come.
geez you've put me on the Barrett and Cornes, thats as brutal as it gets!

I'm one of Jacks biggest fans, its all on the PRE record, and as I said, when we're winning I couldn't really give a stuff. But I reckon its a bit grandstandy. Why do it? Who benefits? The kids won't remember it. Photo on the dias or a photo during the lap of honour? Whats the difference?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
And the replacement option that’s right to go is!?!!
I don’t know, but I think we should go looking in Tasmania for him. Since the days of Royce our best forwards have come from Tassie. Royce, Disco, Richo and now Jack.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW

I'm one of Jacks biggest fans, its all on the PRE record, and as I said, when we're winning I couldn't really give a stuff. But I reckon its a bit grandstandy. Why do it? Who benefits? The kids won't remember it. Photo on the dias or a photo during the lap of honour? Whats the difference?

Yes you are right. The kids wont remember being on the podium and neither will anyone else in 20 years.

All they will remember is the 2020 premiership win was the third of five premierships in 6 years by the best team ever.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
JR8 aint done yet he will be better next year after a proper pre season and no Rona BS (hopefully).

A 4th medal awaits and he can retire with Full Honours with it around his neck.

His Footy IQ is immense and will allow him to impact still.

Tommy is the GO TO man now Jack is the foil.

Love Jack he's been a champ and matured into a great leader at the club.

Reactions: 4 users

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Why did Jack go to him and not Cotch? They are both leaders of their respective clubs.
Perhaps Jack went to Dangerfield and Cotch went to Selwood - vice captain to vice captain and captain to captain? Although seriously who would know as the over-extended ad break robbed us all of heaps of vision prior to the presentations.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The day he kicked ten against the Eagles and arrived as a serious footballer feels like yesterday.

Reactions: 3 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012

This is a really random thing to care about even a little bit.

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
I don't think there is a club or AFL directive on this. My point is really where does it stop. So what if say Brandon Ellis had wanted his mother on the podium in 2017? Or another player his grandmother? Or another their partner? For the experience and the photo?

Should the AFL just say no matter how long it takes everyone can bring someone up on stage. Maybe that's the right thing to do, let everyone bring a significant person in their lives up to share the podium?

The only one I have no issues with is Marlion, he's such a great example of a person getting a second chance and taking it. He's an inspiration and I think it helps complete the picture seeing him lead his family up there.

Perhaps its just that I think Jack's a little self-indulgent and I prefer my heroes a little understated? (its funny you say you think his tiger passion is contrived, not sure how you can doubt his tiger passion?)

PS - Jake Carlisle actually put his family first and football second didn't he by returning home for the birth?
MD Jazz,

Totally understand view point (take no umbrage)

I just watched the "Grand Final Recollections" of Cotch, Nank, Lambert and Grimes which serve to reinforce my ethos (without criticising yours)

Firstly - there is (not yet) any suggestion that players are going to start bringing parents/grandparent on to the podium.

But! Would we begrudge Jayden Short if he took his Mum up? Or Marlion his wife?

(PS - your hypocrisy re Marlion is enlightening? How is his story any more legitimate that Ellis, or Short or Higgins? Yes I have watched Australia Story - loved it! deep respect to Marlion - but you trivialise the other players who have done it tough and made wrong decisions along the way - Jay Shulz! LOL!)

As I said in my previous (rant?) I have always suspected Jack is a calculating media/man - but - that can not detract from his contribution (and who am I to judge?)

The AFL doesn't need to get involved.

There are things in life that are entirely appropriate, and I would suggest even the AFL understands:

"Sharing a key life moment with those that helped you get there!"

PS - Jake Carlisle is (IMHO) another great example of Ty Vickery. A man who was big and could play footy - but his heart was elsewhere. Last I looked - no one has ever become a champion with that ethos and they fade into the "coulda, shoulda, didnt". (rightly or wrongly)

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I don't think there is a club or AFL directive on this. My point is really where does it stop. So what if say Brandon Ellis had wanted his mother on the podium in 2017? Or another player his grandmother? Or another their partner? For the experience and the photo?

Thank god we didn't win a flag when push-up was playing. We might have seen Toby Mitchell up there.

Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'd just like to draw attention specifically to the way Jack handled the press conference/media today. I think he spoke absolutely beautifully, in particular
his words around Stack saying:

' "We're not going to give up on Sydney Stack. He is a young man that has got a lot of issues, he's got a lot of potential, but most importantly now we put the football side of things to one side and we want to continue to grow him as a young man.

"He has got some fantastic traits and he unfortunately found himself in a situation which was [allegedly] against the law, and certainly the wrong thing to do.

"We are going to continue to turn him into a Richmond man." '

Jack's maturity as a person the last couple of years has been exponential. Fatherhood agrees with him I think. Says a lot about the club that they could support
this growth, but even more that Jack was open enough to accept the feedback and do the work. Makes me proud to see him in our colours.

Reactions: 19 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Jack has become a leader on and off the field...... and the media who write in off as being to old watch out (ala Mick McGuanne), he doesn’t need much to motivate himself to prove them all wrong.

I reckon our leaders Jack, Martin and Cotch are all making big statements to the squad this off season - can’t wait for the footy to return and we embark on that 3 headed mountain.

Reactions: 6 users