Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Forever grateful for that purple patch of Towner period.
He has a medal.
Premiership player.
After this post thought I'd rewatch the 2017 GF. There's 10mins to go in the 3rd and Graham's just kicked his 3rd. Reckon we're home.

What a great day.

Towner the water diviner and drought breaker.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Canberra
After this post thought I'd rewatch the 2017 GF. There's 10mins to go in the 3rd and Graham's just kicked his 3rd. Reckon we're home.

What a great day.

And Life Member of the RFC.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
is that it for Townsend now ? what an odd career .. good luck to him.
as others have mentioned the 2017 GF has his name on it and he's a Tiger for life.
Might be worth a spot in the VFL side we seem to have lost a few of our regular VFL bodies from some reports.

Townser might be a handy enforcer in the middle to help the kids, and help bring the Richmond ethos to them.

Reactions: 7 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Really?

Hmmm. Never in my lifetime have I heard the Brownlow referred to as the "Charles Brownlow Trophy," whereas the Liston Trophy used to actually be a cup. Then for a time it was officially known as the Liston Medal before reverting to "Liston Trophy" about 30 years ago.

Other awards like the Sandover, Magarey, Morrish etc. have only ever been "Medal".

I guess it comes down to the distinction between a medal and a trophy. By definition a medal can be a trophy.

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hmmm. Never in my lifetime have I heard the Brownlow referred to as the "Charles Brownlow Trophy," whereas the Liston Trophy used to actually be a cup. Then for a time it was officially known as the Liston Medal before reverting to "Liston Trophy" about 30 years ago.

Other awards like the Sandover, Magarey, Morrish etc. have only ever been "Medal".

I guess it comes down to the distinction between a medal and a trophy. By definition a medal can be a trophy.

The funny thing is that the minute I read your post I thought, wait a minute, isn't it the Charles Brownlow Trophy? Some old memory kicked in so I looked it up.

Makes me wonder about the Sandover and Magerey now.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Might be worth a spot in the VFL side we seem to have lost a few of our regular VFL bodies from some reports.

Townser might be a handy enforcer in the middle to help the kids, and help bring the Richmond ethos to them.
VFL is really his level. He’ll be forever loved for his 5 game burst at the end of 2017, though, and deservedly so.

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013

it's a decent call C . be good to see him there

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
it's a decent call C . be good to see him there
Thanks mate, cheers.

NSWTiger would be pretty happy about It if it happened I'm sure.

I just thiought he's quality at that level and a good Richmond man, with losing some of our better VFL listed players he'd be very handy.

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
melbourne, victoria
Thanks mate, cheers.

NSWTiger would be pretty happy about It if it happened I'm sure.

I just thiought he's quality at that level and a good Richmond man, with losing some of our better VFL listed players he'd be very handy.
Agree wholeheartedly Craigo.
Was going to type the same in regards to NSWTiger being rapt if that eventuates.
Hope it does.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Whenever i think of Towner i think of the Freo game in '17 and that tackle in the GF.

Was amazing being at the ground that day, i could sense Jack running that bloke down for HTB in first and i could also sense towner ragdolling Crouch and stuffing him in the turf, one of a few defining moments in that GF.

Go well Towner!

Reactions: 4 users

frickenel

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2003
Chirnside Park
www.planetecho.com.au
My mind goes back to the GWS final in 2017.

I can't remember who the player was that he tackled, from memory Tomlinson, but i may be wrong.

Towner nails him in a typical Towner tackle and the ball spill free. GWS gain possession again and go around in a few circles under our pressure.

Tomlinson has by now managed to drag himself to his feet, sore and sorry only to look up and realise one of his besieged team mates has just handballed to him. He pretty much realises in the same instant that Towner has him lined up again. You could almost see his shoulders drop in resignation before he is smashed a second time.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003

What a great day.

Me too!
1 min into the second Q, second bounce, Towner smashes mckay hard...
The crouch tackle could have been the turning point, and sticks in the memory (it is in the AFL game highlights) but I reckon Towner spent the whole second quarter hitting crows hard and fair.
All the best Towner, premiership Tiger.

Reactions: 5 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Whenever i think of Towner i think of the Freo game in '17 and that tackle in the GF.

Was amazing being at the ground that day, i could sense Jack running that bloke down for HTB in first and i could also sense towner ragdolling Crouch and stuffing him in the turf, one of a few defining moments in that GF.

Go well Towner!

My best Towner moment was actually in a VFL game against the Maggots or Drugs cant remember which one I think it was against the Pies at Vic Park, as it was televised.

There was a ball up and congestion, with the ball pinging around inside a pack of 6- 8 players when Towner runs off the HFF straight into it in full Bobby Boucher Waterboy Style, and dead set spears this Maggots player with the ball and they both come flying out the other side of the pack.

I thought he'd killed the bastard he took ages to get up, a true Rugby League tackle (Trevor "the Axe" Gilmeister style) if Iv'e ever seen one on an AFL field.

Loved it.

His purple patch was one for the ages, and has him etched in Tigerland Folklore forevermore.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

I can't remember who the player was that he tackled, from memory Tomlinson, but i may be wrong.

Towner nails him in a typical Towner tackle and the ball spill free. GWS gain possession again and go around in a few circles under our pressure.

Tomlinson has by now managed to drag himself to his feet, sore and sorry only to look up and realise one of his besieged team mates has just handballed to him. He pretty much realises in the same instant that Towner has him lined up again. You could almost see his shoulders drop in resignation before he is smashed a second time.
:))Only just finished re watching this game a few minutes ago. So many players n fans going the blub ( some in shock n horror, most simply overjoyed ) when the siren blew, 'twas a special moment to behold.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

The very same look that Ol Mate Wyl E Coyote would have in the Road Runner Cartoons before he got hit by a truck, a bus, or train .... :mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users