Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I still think if there is one turning point in the 2017 Grand Final, then it's THAT tackle.
The second quarter looks one-sided if you look at the scoreboard now in hindsight or even watch it again, but it was five scoring shots a piece and I remember at the game thinking the whole quarter was such a tight arm wrestle. I was very surprised after the game to realize that they hadn't kicked a goal in the quarter.
I reckon it was a real struggle and that tackle went a long way to breaking them.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I still think if there is one turning point in the 2017 Grand Final, then it's THAT tackle.
The second quarter looks one-sided if you look at the scoreboard now in hindsight or even watch it again, but it was five scoring shots a piece and I remember at the game thinking the whole quarter was such a tight arm wrestle. I was very surprised after the game to realize that they hadn't kicked a goal in the quarter.
I reckon it was a real struggle and that tackle went a long way to breaking them.

Yeah, that was a very tight quarter, but I was the opposite. I remember hearing that Adelaide had scored most of their goals in the second quarter in 2017. So, watching a tight tussle, but I was very aware of Adelaide not kicking any goals in their scoring quarter. As the time ticked down in that quarter I'm just willing them to keep Adelaide goal-less in the second quarter. At half time I knew we were a chance, little did I know we would roll over the top of them and I was not confident, but we were in it up to our eyeballs.

Townsend was great at the end of 2017, thought he would go on and play 100 games for us but it wasn't to be.

Hope he gets an opportunity somewhere, he has talent, he seems to work hard, there must be a place for him somewhere.

Will always be a tiger after that Grand Final.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Yeah early in the quarter they still looked to have a spring in their step , probably blew a few opportunities , and then it started to turn

I think it was more about us taking away how they liked to play in that quarter that got inside their heads ,

The defensive pressure was getting to them , and Towners tackle was symbolic of us hunting them down

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
is that it for Townsend now ? what an odd career .. good luck to him.
as others have mentioned the 2017 GF has his name on it and he's a Tiger for life.

Reactions: 5 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Yeah early in the quarter they still looked to have a spring in their step , probably blew a few opportunities , and then it started to turn

I think it was more about us taking away how they liked to play in that quarter that got inside their heads ,

The defensive pressure was getting to them , and Towners tackle was symbolic of us hunting them down
Once they started the ‘panic’ kicking in the backline we were in with a chance.
That Towner ‘spear’ hurt.
At half time they were arguing amongst each other.
They thought we would ‘roll over In ‘their ‘ second quarter( as other teams had during the year ).
We didn’t.
Rest is history.

Forever grateful for that purple patch of Towner period.
He has a medal.
Premiership player.

Come back to our VFL side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
MAKE OUR TREASURE captain or joint captain of our vfl side along with steve morris possibly.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Interesting that it is actually a medal but is still known as the J.J.Liston Trophy.

Really?

afl-brownlow-medal_1atyx7qdp6tj510fjenhujaxsv.jpg

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Once they started the ‘panic’ kicking in the backline we were in with a chance.
That Towner ‘spear’ hurt.
At half time they were arguing amongst each other.
They thought we would ‘roll over ‘ in their second quarter.
We didn’t.
Rest is history.

Yeah, really didn't get that. Adelaide thought they had our measure and they would prevail no matter what.

I don't get how any team can think the other side has no way of beating you, it is a Grand Final, the other team made it and will be going as hard as they can.

A truly great team will know when they need to find an extra gear. They know that things need to change when the other side prevents you from implementing your normal game.

Look at the way Geelong kept pummelling Port in that massive Grand Final win, I think they took the foot off late in the last quarter, we kept hammering GWS in last year's GF until the last minute.

We went in going hard, believing we could win. Players like Townsend and a lot of others knowing this was the chance to play the game of their lives so they did. WTF Adelaide were doing/thinking is a mystery. Maybe the way they kicked a few easy goals in the first quarter gave them a false sense of the effort needed to win.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Forever grateful for that purple patch of Towner period.
He has a medal.
Premiership player.
After this post thought I'd rewatch the 2017 GF. There's 10mins to go in the 3rd and Graham's just kicked his 3rd. Reckon we're home.

What a great day.

Towner the water diviner and drought breaker.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
After this post thought I'd rewatch the 2017 GF. There's 10mins to go in the 3rd and Graham's just kicked his 3rd. Reckon we're home.

What a great day.

Towner the water diviner and drought breaker.
And Life Member of the RFC.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
is that it for Townsend now ? what an odd career .. good luck to him.
as others have mentioned the 2017 GF has his name on it and he's a Tiger for life.
Might be worth a spot in the VFL side we seem to have lost a few of our regular VFL bodies from some reports.

Townser might be a handy enforcer in the middle to help the kids, and help bring the Richmond ethos to them.

Reactions: 7 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Hmmm. Never in my lifetime have I heard the Brownlow referred to as the "Charles Brownlow Trophy," whereas the Liston Trophy used to actually be a cup. Then for a time it was officially known as the Liston Medal before reverting to "Liston Trophy" about 30 years ago.

Other awards like the Sandover, Magarey, Morrish etc. have only ever been "Medal".

I guess it comes down to the distinction between a medal and a trophy. By definition a medal can be a trophy.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hmmm. Never in my lifetime have I heard the Brownlow referred to as the "Charles Brownlow Trophy," whereas the Liston Trophy used to actually be a cup. Then for a time it was officially known as the Liston Medal before reverting to "Liston Trophy" about 30 years ago.

Other awards like the Sandover, Magarey, Morrish etc. have only ever been "Medal".

I guess it comes down to the distinction between a medal and a trophy. By definition a medal can be a trophy.

The funny thing is that the minute I read your post I thought, wait a minute, isn't it the Charles Brownlow Trophy? Some old memory kicked in so I looked it up.

Makes me wonder about the Sandover and Magerey now.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Might be worth a spot in the VFL side we seem to have lost a few of our regular VFL bodies from some reports.

Townser might be a handy enforcer in the middle to help the kids, and help bring the Richmond ethos to them.
VFL is really his level. He’ll be forever loved for his 5 game burst at the end of 2017, though, and deservedly so.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013

it's a decent call C . be good to see him there