Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Towner's tackle on Crouch is one of my favourite sporting memories, worthy of a statue.
That, and the rag-dolling of Lever at the end of the first Q.
iu

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Towner was in 2017, at VFL level, a very good change mid and small forward with surprising speed away from packs and sure skills. Very good overhead, and sharp around goal. Dead-eye.

Promoted to the ones, he used his aerial skills defensively. But was able to augment the Richmond hunting machine when the ball fell loose. Defensive aerialist - block, spoil. Mainly block. Defensive small.

In the ones, Towner could mark with minimal separation. (He got more attention over time.) And at ground level could get a HTB. In 2017 mark or free meant a goal. Dead eye.

I am certain that Towner's accuracy was based on live-or-die pressure. I am certain that Towner's premiership medal was earned through his thriving on this.

But then it stopped being live or die. And the accuracy dropped. And so was Townsend. And sure, we tried to move him up the ground and that was never going to work.

I admire minuscule improvement. Love the *smile*. That's what earned Townsend the JJ Liston Trophy. But capitalising on opportunity, thriving on challenge earned him a Premiership medal. The latter form, I have to say, more beautiful in its brevity. Like C-beams and the Tannhauser gate.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Towner was in 2017, at VFL level, a very good change mid and small forward with surprising speed away from packs and sure skills. Very good overhead, and sharp around goal. Dead-eye.

Promoted to the ones, he used his aerial skills defensively. But was able to augment the Richmond hunting machine when the ball fell loose. Defensive aerialist - block, spoil. Mainly block. Defensive small.

In the ones, Towner could mark with minimal separation. (He got more attention over time.) And at ground level could get a HTB. In 2017 mark or free meant a goal. Dead eye.

I am certain that Towner's accuracy was based on live-or-die pressure. I am certain that Towner's premiership medal was earned through his thriving on this.

But then it stopped being live or die. And the accuracy dropped. And so was Townsend. And sure, we tried to move him up the ground and that was never going to work.

I admire minuscule improvement. Love the *smile*. That's what earned Townsend the JJ Liston Trophy. But capitalising on opportunity, thriving on challenge earned him a Premiership medal. The latter form, I have to say, more beautiful in its brevity. Like C-beams and the Tannhauser gate.

Ripper post, Captain Jack
Was going to write something but you've summed up my thoughts beautifully.
So, all I will say is ... good luck to him at GCS. He will give it a crack and no doubt enjoy just being part of a senior-level footy environment.

Reactions: 5 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Like i said guys

Towner is up there as Richmond recruiter , Spreading the word to the talented GC kids what a great place Richmond is and how much they would love to play here

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

rombosghost

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 14, 2004

Good post mate.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Great insight there Dyer and so true.
Right place, hit form right time & gave his all.
Wonderful 2017 season.
I Never will forget his contribution and say a bad word.
Deserves whatever else he can get out of his AFL career.

Reactions: 6 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Well down Towner, but please, when you play against us, don't take you guns to the game Towner, leave your guns at home.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Towner will always be remembered by the Tiger faithful as one of ours so it is good to hear he has another chance at his fourth AFL club. Hope it goes well for him

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Great insight there Dyer and so true.
Right place, hit form right time & gave his all.
Wonderful 2017 season.
I Never will forget his contribution and say a bad word.
Deserves whatever else he can get out of his AFL career.
he's got what the likes of Buckley and Lyon would kill for. and not just an aaron shattock or daryl freame, but a real contribution, a real stamp on a drought breaking flag for the best club in the world. Goes down in history.

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
he is a legend this Richmond man!

he just keeps on bouncing back ...........no thing/no person ever beats him down

he is like a brown dog ..............never gives up

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
And when it finally ends, a gig behind the microphone beckons....................... well maybe not!

He's a favourite of mine all the same.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
It is good to see there have been no negative comments by PRE about Towner having another chance in the game with all wishing him well. He was the man of a time and so instrumental in our drought break year. From the Freo match to the GF where he score three goals, 'the tackle' and generally terrorising the Crows. I still enjoy rewatching that game and his game that day

Reactions: 7 users