Jake King (Coburg Profiles) answers PREnders | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jake King (Coburg Profiles) answers PREnders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
COBURG PROFILES

Thanks to Jake King who kindly agreed to answer some questions from PREnders.

PRE: Is VFL the highest level of football you have played?
JK: Yes

PRE: What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses in your game?
JK: My strength is probably my hardness at the ball and I’d have to say my main weakness is my temper.

PRE: Is it correct that you did an AFL preseason with Essendon last year and if so do you have AFL draft ambitions?
JK: Yes, I did a pre-season with Essendon. I would love to be drafted.

PRE: Is it true that you don't eat pasta? If so why?
JK: Yes, it’s true, I don’t eat pasta because I hate it, which makes it difficult on Friday nights when we all get together after training for a meal, which of course is pasta.

PRE: What is your favourite food if it's not pasta...?
JK: KFC

PRE: If you had a chance to line up on any current AFL player who would it be and WHY?
JK: I’m not fussed who I line up on.

PRE: Is your name Jacob or Jake?
JK: It’s Jacob, but I prefer Jake.

PRE: Who do you get along best with on both the Coburg and Richmond list?
JK: I generally get along with everyone at Coburg, but Sean Bourke is probably the easiest to get along with, he’s a really nice bloke. At Richmond it’s Richard Tambling.

PRE: Has the coach ever told you to change your hair style?
JK: No, Collo has never mentioned my hair. Maybe he likes what I do with it…

PRE: You have great feet and it is hard to tell what is your preferred foot. Is it Left or Right.
JK: My preferred foot is right.

PRE: You play hard and tough and lack fear, so tell us have you ever been suspended in your playing career and if so how many games in total have you missed?
JK: Yes, I have been suspended in the past…once, maybe twice….too many times to keep count actually!

PRE: Do you think you will ever be moved out of the back pocket and into the midfield? & would you like to play midfield..?
JK: I’d love to play in the midfield but I can’t see that happening for a while.

PRE: Jake what AFL club did you support growing up?
JK: I didn’t support a particular team growing up. I preferred playing footy to watching it so I didn’t have a favourite team.

PRE: Do you go to many AFL games?
JK: No.

PRE: How many times a week do you train?
JK: 4 times a week

PRE: What team and in which league did you play in last year?
JK: North Heidelberg in the Diamond Valley League

PRE: Who is your best friend at Coburg?
JK: I get along well with everybody.

PRE: Could you beat Jonno Mullins in an arm wrestle?
JK: No chance.

PRE: Have you e ever done or been invited to a pre-season with an AFL club?
JK: Yes, I did a pre-season with Essendon.

PRE: Can you tell us about your junior career. Which league, favourite positions, both team and personal success achieved.
JK: I played at North Heidelberg in the Diamond Valley League. I’ve won a couple of best & fairests and been lucky enough to have been in teams that have won junior and senior Grand Finals.

PRE: Do you work as well as play footy? If so what do you do?
JK: I am a plumber

PRE: What kind of car do you drive
JK: I have a company van.

PRE: Funniest incident/sledge you’ve heard on the field?
JK: I don’t really listen to sledges that much.

PRE: What do you attribute to Coburg’s massive improvement this season?
JK: Collo and the coaching staff and the group of players at the Club.

PRE: Who is the biggest practical joker at Coburg and can you tell us some stories?
JK: Shaun Huy. He’s always up to no good.

Thanks for your time and agreeing to answer some questions for us Jake. Good luck for success both Coburg wise and personally.
JK: No problems. Thanks for the interest.

Jake King Profile

No: 13
Height: 174
Weight: 74
Birthdate: 26/03/1984
Previous Clubs: North Heidelberg
Player Sponsor: Clipsal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Hail The King
Saturday 5th August 2006
Courtesy of VFL Record and Coburg website

All hail the King Tiger proves a surprise packet in debut year.

Andy Collins jokes that the Coburg Tigers have been trying to keep recruit Jake King under wraps. However, it’s tough to do, when King, 22, consistently finds his way
into Coburg’s best players.

At Cricket Victoria, where Collins is the career and welfare manager, there is a program called ‘diamonds in the rough’. This term is certainly applicable to King.

As Collins explained, not everyone has to come through the conventional system.

Collins believes you could go to a local football match on any given weekend and if you spoke to the right people, they would be able to identify the special players in
the competition. “If you think if they are young enough and have a really good upside to them, then why not? All this boy (King) wanted was a chance,” Collins said.

King made his way to the City Oval after being North Heidelberg’s best player in its 2005 premiership. It was a performance that saw him invited to do a pre-season with
Essendon, but, when things didn’t pan out at Windy Hill, Collins was quick to swoop.

King came through the Northern Knights program in the TAC Cup, but his exposure was restricted to just three games because of stress fractures to his back.
He then headed to North Heidelberg.

So, just how did King slip underneath the radar for so long? King is unsure. He wonders if it was simply a case of no one wanting to take a chance, as he doesn’t think he has improved dramatically, but rather matured.“I did my own thing before, but now I’m listening to people,” King said. “It’s weird. I’ve played the game for 10 years now and you think you know a fair bit about it, but this year has been incredible in how much I have learned.”

King credits Collins for bringing the best out of him. He said the Coburg Tigers coach was extremely positive and encouraging in how he approached not only himself, but all of the players. Collins, a genius at identifying young talent, believes King’s form warrants him being looked at seriously by AFL clubs at this year’s draft, as he played the back pocket the way it should be played. In an unqualified endorsement of King, Collins noted: “I look at him and think, ‘I wish I played the back pocket like that’ – and I played a few AFL games (212)’.

“Jake plays it pretty tough and quick and fair, and he has good hands and he is a good kick. He still has a lot to learn about the game, but in one way that is really promising, because he was never in the system. “I’m really excited to coach a kid like that.” This excitement is quite possibly shared by an increasing number of AFL recruiting scouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.