Jake King | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jake King

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL bad boy Jake King ‘sick’ of being harassed by police
Mark Buttler & Aneeka Simonis
Herald Sun
Jannuary 22, 2020

Former AFL bad-boy Jake King is “incensed” his tattoo business was entangled in the EastLink murder investigation.

The former Richmond player on Wednesday sat in his City of Ink tattoo parlour and spoke to police as they searched the premises in connection to the November killing.

King’s lawyer, John Gdanski of SLF Lawyers, said King was not a Mongol and that police attention was hurting his business.

Investigators searched the South Melbourne business with a warrant which, among other things, stated it was in relation to firearms.

Mr Gdanski said it was the third time City of Ink had been raided, and each time nothing was found.

“Jake’s sick of it,” Mr Gdanski said.

“It’s getting to the stage of being borderline harassment.

“He is neither a bikie member nor has his parlour anything to do with any other parties allegedly dealing with this investigation.

“He has done nothing wrong and will continue to do nothing wrong or breach any condition of his lease.”

Police did not question King, who bought into the business in 2016 after undertaking a tattooing apprenticeship. The ex-Tiger is a close mate of Mongols strongman Toby Mitchell, who founded the business.

Mitchell’s flat in Southbank was among 12 properties that police raided at dawn.

It is believed that Mitchell, a former Bandidos enforcer, co-operated with police during the search.

After they left, Mitchell met friends for lunch outside the Clarendon St tattoo parlour.

King has found himself on the wrong side of the law since retiring from AFL in 2014.

In 2017, he was charged with extortion and making threats to kill and inflicting serious injury over a $150,000 debt. He was secretly recorded in Crown’s lobby attempting to strongarm the business partner of Hawthorn player Ty Vickery over the debt.

King met Tony Mokdissi to try to retrieve the cash, said to have been “skimmed” from the Hawthorn East restaurant Fat Monkey, which Mr Mokdissi ran with Vickery.

King lost his temper and threatened to break Mr Mokdissi’s legs if he did not pay the debt. He was placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond after pleading guilty.

He avoided conviction on one charge of threatening to inflict serious injury and another of possessing testosterone. Prosecutors withdrew the extortion and threat to kill charges.

City of Ink was fired at in a drive-by shooting on July 14, 2018.

Police allege Comanchero-linked Mustafa Yuksel and Yahya Aboueid sprayed the parlour with bullets before torching a stolen Hyundai hatchback with a revolver inside.

The bikie associates, both aged 25 at the time, were charged with discharging a firearm at premises, using a firearm in a public place, reckless conduct endangering life, reckless conduct endangering persons, using a firearm in the commission of an indictable offence, using an unregistered handgun, theft of a motor vehicle, fraudulently using a registration plate and arson.

The pair were released on bail despite objections from police.

Last year strict bail conditions imposed on Mustafa Yuksel were relaxed so he could run his kebab business.

His 9pm curfew was extended to 11.30pm on the nights he worked.

Mr Yuksel and Mr Aboueid will stand trial in the County Court in August this year.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/truecr...e/news-story/2c2a5fbb994d04b2ce4f41fa0e08c8b2 (paywalled)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
AFL bad boy Jake King ‘sick’ of being harassed by police
Mark Buttler & Aneeka Simonis
Herald Sun
Jannuary 22, 2020

Former AFL bad-boy Jake King is “incensed” his tattoo business was entangled in the EastLink murder investigation.

The former Richmond player on Wednesday sat in his City of Ink tattoo parlour and spoke to police as they searched the premises in connection to the November killing.

King’s lawyer, John Gdanski of SLF Lawyers, said King was not a Mongol and that police attention was hurting his business.

Investigators searched the South Melbourne business with a warrant which, among other things, stated it was in relation to firearms.

Mr Gdanski said it was the third time City of Ink had been raided, and each time nothing was found.

“Jake’s sick of it,” Mr Gdanski said.

“It’s getting to the stage of being borderline harassment.

“He is neither a bikie member nor has his parlour anything to do with any other parties allegedly dealing with this investigation.

“He has done nothing wrong and will continue to do nothing wrong or breach any condition of his lease.”

Police did not question King, who bought into the business in 2016 after undertaking a tattooing apprenticeship. The ex-Tiger is a close mate of Mongols strongman Toby Mitchell, who founded the business.

Mitchell’s flat in Southbank was among 12 properties that police raided at dawn.

It is believed that Mitchell, a former Bandidos enforcer, co-operated with police during the search.

After they left, Mitchell met friends for lunch outside the Clarendon St tattoo parlour.

King has found himself on the wrong side of the law since retiring from AFL in 2014.

In 2017, he was charged with extortion and making threats to kill and inflicting serious injury over a $150,000 debt. He was secretly recorded in Crown’s lobby attempting to strongarm the business partner of Hawthorn player Ty Vickery over the debt.

King met Tony Mokdissi to try to retrieve the cash, said to have been “skimmed” from the Hawthorn East restaurant Fat Monkey, which Mr Mokdissi ran with Vickery.

King lost his temper and threatened to break Mr Mokdissi’s legs if he did not pay the debt. He was placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond after pleading guilty.

He avoided conviction on one charge of threatening to inflict serious injury and another of possessing testosterone. Prosecutors withdrew the extortion and threat to kill charges.

City of Ink was fired at in a drive-by shooting on July 14, 2018.

Police allege Comanchero-linked Mustafa Yuksel and Yahya Aboueid sprayed the parlour with bullets before torching a stolen Hyundai hatchback with a revolver inside.

The bikie associates, both aged 25 at the time, were charged with discharging a firearm at premises, using a firearm in a public place, reckless conduct endangering life, reckless conduct endangering persons, using a firearm in the commission of an indictable offence, using an unregistered handgun, theft of a motor vehicle, fraudulently using a registration plate and arson.

The pair were released on bail despite objections from police.

Last year strict bail conditions imposed on Mustafa Yuksel were relaxed so he could run his kebab business.

His 9pm curfew was extended to 11.30pm on the nights he worked.

Mr Yuksel and Mr Aboueid will stand trial in the County Court in August this year.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/truecr...e/news-story/2c2a5fbb994d04b2ce4f41fa0e08c8b2 (paywalled)

Best part of that story is they called Plasma a Hawthron player.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Updated version of article with further comment from King.

- - - - -

Former AFL bad boy Jake King has doubled down on his criticism of Victoria Police after his tattoo business was entangled in yesterday’s EastLink murder investigation.

King’s tattoo parlour City of Ink was stormed by police as part of a series of raids targeting the Mongols OMCG, and the people behind the EastLink murder of fruiterer Paul Virgona.

King told Triple M he knew nothing about Mr Virgona’s murder and did not know Aaron Ong and Josh Rider, the two Mongols bikies charged with his murder.

“I don’t know anything about (Paul Virgona’s murder). You guys know more about it then me,” King said.

“I’m closer to the Pope than I am any of this. I don’t know anything about what happened.

“I don’t know anything about the arrests. They are not clients of mine, they have not been tattooed in my shop.

“I don’t know anything whatsoever, so I have no idea why they were knocking down my door. They were there for 15-20 minutes.”

King said he had no idea why the police raided his South Melbourne tattoo parlour.

“I got a million messages yesterday asking, ‘is everything OK,’ and I said to everyone I am 100 per cent OK and I am closer to the Pope than I am to anything that has happened over the last 24 hours,” he said.

“It has nothing to do with me or my tattoo parlour.

“None of them (the police) were talking to me. None of them made me sign documents or anything of the sort.

“When they come in with a warrant — this is what I have learned the couple of times I have had to deal with this — when they come in, you can’t actually say: ‘No, you can’t come in.’

“When I got to the door, there were three police officers standing there waiting for me. They said, ‘we have a warrant’ and they showed me the warrant.

“As I did and have done in the past I said, ‘no worries’ and ‘what is it you are looking for’.

“They said, ‘we can’t tell you’. What’s happened and they are like, ‘we are investigating something’.”

King hinted that the police officers who raided his tattoo parlour were going through the motions.

“They were dotting I’s and crossing T’s. What am I meant to say to that,” he said.

“They are knocking on the door with a bit of paper that says they are allowed to do it.

“I can’t stop them from doing it so all I can do is say do whatever you need to do, dot your I’s and cross the T’s.

“They don’t understand it affects my business. I’m trying to run a business. I have got to go in and explain to my staff police have been there and it is splashed all over the news.”

He also defended his friendship with Mongols bikie Toby Mitchell and said none of his friends had done anything wrong.

“I have not been questioned, I have not been interviewed, I’ve not been charged, I’m not even a suspect, I have nothing to do with any of it whatsoever,” he said.

“I own the shop and (Toby Mitchell) is not a business partner at all.

“This is what people need to understand. That tattoo shop is 100 per cent mine. I am the director and 100 per cent shareholder. Toby is not a business partner.

“Toby is my mate. Toby helps to bring in work. Why would I want to turn my back on my friends who actually help me bring in work?

“I’m a qualified plumber, I have a real estate licence, I’m a business owner. I have friends. I can’t help what any of my friends do in any way, shape or form.

“All of my friends — and let’s make this clear — all of my friends have done nothing wrong.

“There is no fork in the road. I have grown up a certain way and walked a path ever since I was able to walk.”

King also hit out at some of the media coverage he endured.

“They are reading all this crap coming into work and I have to sit there and reassure them it hasn’t got anything to do with any of us,” he said.

“I’m just lucky I have amazing people working for me. We all have friends.

“If you go and get charged and they get off and the papers don’t write that they get off they are still a criminal because that is what the papers said at the start.

“Everyone looks at me and says I’m a criminal who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. I don’t have a conviction.

“I have not been questioned about the stuff that has happened over the last 24 hours. I’m not a suspect.”

“I’m getting raided. It is not my issue. It has got to the point now where it is actually harassment,” King told Triple M.

“I have never been guilty of anything, I don’t have a conviction, I have never been prosecuted in any way, shape or form.

“It is all speculation where because I have friends it is ‘OK he must be doing something wrong’.

“I have never done anything wrong. I always abide by the law.”

Two members of the Mongol bikie gang have been charged with the murder of Paul Virgona.

King’s lawyer, John Gdanski of SLF Lawyers, yesterday said King was not a Mongol and that police attention was hurting his business.

“Jake’s sick of it,” Mr Gdanski said. “It’s getting to the stage of being borderline harassment.

Police did not question King, who bought into the business in 2016 after undertaking a tattooing apprenticeship.

The ex-Tiger is a close mate of Mongols strongman Toby Mitchell, who founded the business.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
What’s that old saying?
Lay down with dogs wake up with fleas.

Reactions: 2 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
If this killing of this poor fella was mistaken identity, I suspect the police are going to destroy the Mongols and everyone associated with them bit by bit.

How can these groups exist? They are 100% criminal enterprises, nothing else.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
What’s that old saying?
Lay down with dogs wake up with fleas.

Absolutely.

Whilst I don't agree with harassment I also agree with your comment above, if you hang out with criminals you are potentially connected and opening yourself up for questioning...

The fact it used to be owned by Toby also opens things up for questioning..

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
He grew up with Toby. Can be hard to say no to.

But you can say no.

Going through uni as a young guy from the country, I worked at a pub in Richmond. On my 2nd or 3rd shift, the head of security for the venue came up and asked for a hot dog with cheese. I said that's $3 thanks. The glare I got was fierce. He said, I don't usually have to pay for these. Anyway I said, rules are rules, you need to pay. $3 was slapped on to the counter, and I got another glare. It was intimidating.

Afterwards, I asked one the other staff what the protocol for freebies was. I was advised: If Toby asks for something, he usually gets it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
That made me laugh.

A woman who used to work for me told me a story where her dad was talking over dinner and said some guy cut him off so he blasted his horn and yelled at him. The first car then screeched to a halt and the guy driving got out and said some harsh words with a threat of physical violence and a if you know who I am, you'll shut your mouth and keep it that way.

The father said he told the guy where to go, and the other bloke raised his fist and said not worth it and walked off.

The woman who worked for me told her dad he was an idiot and should keep his cool.

That was reiterated later in The night when watching a news bulletin, the bloke that threatened him appeared as the lead story. The dad said that's him.....on the TV was Mick Gatto.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I suspect Jake is not naive , he picks the type of friends he wants because that is the type he likes to have .

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
But you can say no.

Going through uni as a young guy from the country, I worked at a pub in Richmond. On my 2nd or 3rd shift, the head of security for the venue came up and asked for a hot dog with cheese. I said that's $3 thanks. The glare I got was fierce. He said, I don't usually have to pay for these. Anyway I said, rules are rules, you need to pay. $3 was slapped on to the counter, and I got another glare. It was intimidating.

Afterwards, I asked one the other staff what the protocol for freebies was. I was advised: If Toby asks for something, he usually gets it.
And next time, did you say would like some onions and mustard with that sir ;)

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
....... this has become an interesting thread ............ that touches on crime / corruption where Australians fear to tread..... :)

I grew up in Victoria in the 1970's/80's and my father had a business near Russell Street Police Station.

He passed away 10years ago - but toward the end he opened up toward the above.

In particular the vehement hatred he had for Bob Hawke - a man that we now revere as an icon.

If my father is believed he was an alcoholic, wife beating, misogynistic, corrupt, stand over man (ACTU era) that deserves to be exposed not lauded!

But - gee - that wouldn't fit the narrative :(

I take strength in knowing that he's the only ex-PM spurned by almost every golf club he tried to join (eg those that have standards).

The guy was a scum bag!

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Jake King is a Tank these days , Looks like he has been doing over time on the roids hard

Reactions: 1 user