Jamie Tape?! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jamie Tape?!

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I'm not able to verify if Jamie has passed away but it's been reported on B.F that he died from a heart attack.

As many would know he had been fighting his own personal battle with lymp gland cancer ...... may you rest in peace Jamie :'(

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
How long ago? Is this recent? I have a strange recollection that he passed away a few years ago but I am not sure why I think this.

A

admin

I am banned from Big Footy. Grrrrrrrrr.. Has a source, or anything factual been posted?
Hoping against hope this is just a rumour.

froars

"Famous last words - I'll be good"
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
OMG i am devastated. He was one of the nicest kids you could ever meet. I won Jamie for a night at the auction - had a barbecue with him, Mark McQueen and Simon Dennis - one of the best nights - have a video of Jamie which I'll treasure. Never seen anyone that shy - he used to blush every time he spoke - so unusual for a footballer. May he rest in peace.

A

admin

15 September 2001

A basic annual expense applies to all 16 AFL clubs. It's not the dry cleaning bill for guernseys and socks or the nugget for boots. The cost of strapping for ankles and hands runs into thousands of dollars a year. A footballer whose name is synonymous with this financial outlay is Jamie Tape.

As a 17 year old Jamie had played 75 quality games with SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens. Richmond drafted Tape with 1992 national pick 28. The Tigers thought so much of their youngster they gave him the illustrious number 5 once worn by Neville Crowe and Rex Hunt and Gareth Andrews and Bruce Lennon. 'Sticky' had no history of serious injury. His main attribute was a work ethic. A classic run with player who could adhere to an opponent yet amass lots of possessions himself. He was 188 centimetres and a solid 89 kilograms. Versatile as drip dry shirt. Could be used in the midfield, up forward, even a key position at a pinch. For all these talents he may have been a stranger to lightning pace.

From his debut in 1994 Tape displayed solid football. Hard as a Russian computer program at the Sherrin. The new yellow sasher cut up like a Victa lawn mower guys such as Brett Chandler and Brett Lovett and Clive Waterhouse. Tape revealed the consistency of a one field umpire system. He was a Norwich Rising Star nominee in 1994. Missed one game that season because of a flu injury. He tied with fellow South Australian Matthew Rogers as best first year player.

Through 1995 Tape was on a roll. Strong as araldite. In waterlogged round 3 against Hawthorn at Waverley the glue guy kept the dangerous Shayne Stevenson all wrapped up like a Christo art work. Jamie's timing with hand and foot kept the Hawks at bay. At a critical stage halfway through the last quarter Tape smothered a Minton-Connell shot on goal. It won the game for the Tigers. 4.16 to 5.4.

The following week the Kangaroos at the MCG. In a goal guzzler Daffy booted six and Richardson four. In the second and third terms JT took gutsy marks and fired off handpasses one of which resulted in a goal. Tiges again 21.8 to 13.7. Tapey to the fore in round 7 versus the Crows at the G. He stuck to Ricciuto. It was like two warring elephants. 25 minutes into the second the Richmond number 5 put a big tackle on the Crows star who forearmed his way clear and goaled. But James took two telling marks that broke the Adelaide back. Punt Roaders home 10.12 to 9.4. The Tigers roared into the 1995 finals for the first time since 1982.

The second qualifying final against the Roos. A night game. Tape wore Schwass. Took four marks. Accurate foot passes created space through the middle. 'Sticky' was among the Tigers best in a loss. 12.12 to 17.12. The second semi against the Bombers. A bruising affair. O'Donnell and Young both carried off. Jamie stood his ground to mark and save certain goals in the second and third. A courageous sprint and tackle on Mark Mercuri in the hectic last stanza. The yellow and blacks pulled away to win 12.14 to 11.7. The following week the second preliminary against Geelong at the Park. The Richmond tagger put the bear brand on Shayne Breuer. The defender's chasing and harassing were inspiring. But the exhausted Tigers liquidated. 6.4 to 20.9. James later finished fifth in the club best and fairest.

Tape copped a stress fracture of the foot during 1996. Struggled during '97. After 75 games Jamo was involved in a 1997 trade to Collingwood for Aaron James and draft selection 71, Andrew Kellaway. The former Tiger busted his arm in round 8 his third start with the Pies. But he bounced back late in the season to play the last four games. During 1999 he had some ankle problems. Yet selected as an interchange in 6 games. He was released at the end of '99 season. 14 games with the Woods.

That game at Waverly is one of my all time favourite games of footy. The ground was like a dam, and skills went out the window but desperation took over.
Sticky and Dunc were on the HBF with Benny at CHF. They were worth being half drowned just to see them that day. I wish it was available on video.

Sympathy to Jamie's family and friends.
R.I.P.

A

admin

It was confirmed on the news tonight that Jamie had a heart attack and died while driving in Glenelg on Friday night.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I'll remember Jamie as one of the main reasons we made the prelim final in '95. His form that year was superb.

As MY pointed out he was suffering from Hodgkin's disease. He was only 28.

Deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

R.I.P. Jamie.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
RIP Jamie Tape thanks for puttin ya heart and soul in with the Tigers.... sympathies to your family and friends.

R.I.P

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Former Tiger, Magpie dies at 28
Howard Kotton
afl.com.au
8:16:28 PM Sun 5 January, 2003

Former Richmond and Collingwood defender Jamie Tape has died in Adelaide after reportedly suffering a heart attack while driving.

Tape, a father of one, died on Friday night. He was 28.

In February 2001 a lump under Tape’s left armpit was diagnosed as cancer, but the Adelaide Sunday Mail reported it is believed the defender was told recently that his year-long battle with lymph gland cancer (Hodgkin’s disease) was over.

Tape made his SANFL debut in 1992 and was a key member of Woodville-West Torrens’ 1993 premiership team.

He moved to Victoria in 1994 after being taken by the Tigers at No. 28 in the 1992 national draft.

He played 75 games in four seasons at Punt Rd and in 1995 was a key member of the Richmond side which made it to the preliminary final. He also represented South Australia in state-of-origin football in 1996.

But a foot injury hampered him and eventually he was traded to the Magpies at the end of 1997 as part of a swap for Aaron James.

He played 16 games in two years at Collingwood before returning to South Australia at the end of the 1999 season to resume his career with Woodville-West Torrens.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
My deepest sympathies to the Tape family. How tragic - after fighting so hard to beat the cancer.

I remember Sticky in 1995 - ever reliable and always COURAGEOUS. Running with the flight of the ball. Why the Tigers ever traded him will always be a mystery.

And how over the last few seasons we could have done with a Jamie Tape across the back line

RIP Jamie Tape

A

admin

Tape stayed upbeat
06 January 2003   Herald Sun
By ZAC MILLBANK

FORMER Richmond and Collingwood footballer Jamie Tape had fought a deadly disease only to die of an apparent heart-related seizure while driving his car on Friday night. He was 28.

Diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease in February, his brother Simon said he had remained admirably upbeat throughout his ordeal.

"As far as we're (family) concerned, he was an inspiration to all his close friends, family and everyone who knew him," Simon Tape said.

"The other thing he has really taught a lot of people is the power of the mind."

Tape was known as a person who never stole the limelight.

On the field, the reliable defender went about his business with a minimum amount of fuss and off it he was quiet and reserved.

In fact, some would say he would wonder why such a commotion has been made over his premature death.

"Jamie was always a very quietish type of lad," Woodville-West Torrens chairman Les Stevens said. "He was very low key and was intending to resume training tomorrow (Monday) night without any fanfare. That's how he approached everything."

A funeral will be held at Yorketown on the Yorke Peninsula on Thursday.

An integral member of the Eagles' sole premiership team in 1993, the half-back proved himself in defence at AFL level, playing 91 games for Richmond and Collingwood.

He represented South Australia in State-of-Origin and was named in 2000 and 2001 Adelaide Advertiser SANFL teams of the year.

A

admin

Ex-Tiger Tape dies after car accident
By Christian Catalano, Chris Evans
January 06 2003

Former Richmond and Collingwood footballer Jamie Tape died soon after a car accident near his home in suburban Adelaide on Friday evening.

The 28-year-old from Glenelg, who had previously overcome Hodgkins disease, is reported to have driven his car into a fence about 6pm.

He died soon afterwards at the Flinders Medical Centre.

South Australian police last night would not confirm media reports that suggested Tape had died of a heart attack.

His former coach at Richmond, Robert Walls, said Tape displayed the kind of character that earned him the respect of teammates and coaches alike.

"Anybody and everybody who had the privilege to meet him would say that Jamie Tape was an outstanding young man," Walls said. "He was such a courageous footballer and a great team man, always giving his best on the training track and at games."

Tape leaves a wife and a young family.

"His parents were so proud of him," Walls said. "They used to come over from South Australia to watch him play regularly. I know Jamie also had a young family.

"It's just a really sad situation. It's devastating to happen to a young man. Everybody associated with him at Richmond just thought the world of him."

Tape was drafted by Richmond in 1994 from his home club Woodville-West Torrens in Adelaide. A tall and versatile defender, Tape played 75 games for the Tigers from 1994-97, gaining a Rising Star nomination and tying for the club's best first-year player award.

Tape missed only two games for Richmond in his three years at Punt Road, before he was traded to Collingwood, where he played a further 16 games.

His death was the 12th on SA roads over the holiday period.

B

Bowden_fan11

RIP Jamie you were a true tiger through and through thanks for your service at our great club.
My thoughts are with Your family and friends

KittKatt

Tiger Cub
Dec 19, 2002
I have to echo Bowden-fan11...rest in peace Jamie.....it was horrible to read this news. Thanks for all your good work with the Tiges & condolences to your family.

H

hackes3

Hi all. Hope you don't mind a rival supporter (in this case Hawthorn) posting here.

Thanks to rosy for posting the url to this thread on the new AFL HQ Message Board. I might as well stick my neck out and say I am "vikhackes" on that board.

Jamie "Sticky" Tape was a great competitor and always gave everything on the field. As MT pointed out he was a key factor in the Tigers' surge to the preliminary final in 1995. Tight as a drum, but fair, anyone who he played on him knew he'd been in a real, tough game of footy.

He gave tremendous service to Richmond, and later for a short while to the Pies, after helping Woodville-West Torrens to the SANFL flag in 1993. Also was slightly mystified when Richmond traded him.

Condolences to the Tape family. :'(

He will be sadly missed.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
No worries hackes. Friendly/constructive posts are always welcome. We're not like the big brothers at FTO or theblueview who want character references and mother's madien names from opposition supporters to just enter let alone post ???.

Thanks for the kind words about Jamie.

A

admin

Hi all. Hope you don't mind a rival supporter (in this case Hawthorn) posting here.
Howdy hackes....Welcome to the site, feel free to post anytime.
Opposition supporters are welcome.
It's good to see things through different coloured glasses sometimes.
Thanks for your message about Jamie.
I have about 20 messages to send in the card to the Tape family.
If anybody else wants to include a message post it here or e-mail it to me.
I'll be sending the card on Monday.

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
It is indeed very sad to hear bout the passing of Jamie Tape. It seems the Richmond Football Club is very unfortunate, in that over the years we have some of our finest players, most respected gentleman , pass away tragically at an early age. And unfortunately now Jamie Tape will be forever young.
Its worth looking as well at those who have passed away tragically at a young age at www.rhettrospective.com

Rhett.