Jarrod Brander | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jarrod Brander

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
It could have been Marshall from Port ?

For memory wasn’t Brander touted as a top 10 pick then drifted ? What’s the knock on him ?
It was Brander, he was part of the GWS academy. He was ruled ineligible to join the Giants as an academy selection because the academy's zones were scaled back

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
He can’t kick, mark, run or handball that well, and he’s slow.
Other than that he’s a champion

I can remember a 30+ year stretch when we’d be drooling over him as a potential superstar saviour for us

Reactions: 1 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Good versatile player kept back in the pack by West Cokers pet sons. With Pet Seton joining another year in the wilderness looming. I would pick him up has done his apprenticeship & would strengthen the overall list in depth.

Reactions: 1 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Whatever you might think of Brander, and I have a fairly low opinion of the kid, this is exactly why North Melbourne would not have wanted to walk old mate CCJ to the PSD.

Suddenly, there are options everywhere for cheap, experienced, plug-and-play types.

Yes, there is the DFA window shortly but if a club misses out on a need in the draft, the PSD could be a happy hunting ground.

Ballenden, Brander, Hartlett, Gibbons, Sier, Constable, Dumont, Duman, Cousins, Naish, Lonie, Cavarra, Ling, Hanrahan, Buntine, Bewley, Gleeson ...

In this period of reduced list sizes, half-decent players will become available, potentially making the PSD a useful tool for some clubs.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Whatever you might think of Brander, and I have a fairly low opinion of the kid, this is exactly why North Melbourne would not have wanted to walk old mate CCJ to the PSD.

Suddenly, there are options everywhere for cheap, experienced, plug-and-play types.

Yes, there is the DFA window shortly but if a club misses out on a need in the draft, the PSD could be a happy hunting ground.

Ballenden, Brander, Hartlett, Gibbons, Sier, Constable, Dumont, Duman, Cousins, Naish, Lonie, Cavarra, Ling, Hanrahan, Buntine, Bewley, Gleeson ...

In this period of reduced list sizes, half-decent players will become available, potentially making the PSD a useful tool for some clubs.
Lingy making a comeback for the Catters !!!

He's certainly old enough !!

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Pass.

Physically, there was always a misalignment of his physical strengths, his pre-AFL position, and expected AFL position.

All 3 were different. Key tall defender / loose 3rd up defender / key tall forward.

Nothing made sense on paper. He ended up being n a wing.

Moreover, in hindsight, Brander’s agility was highlighted as his strength in several pre-draft descriptions, citing his ability to weave around like a small forward... but that’s irrelevant. It’s like Chol being a good small forward while playing ruck, and then all his highlights were doing small forward things. It’s like... no. That doesn’t matter. It won’t help you at AFL level in your expected position. It didn’t.

He also had 26 disappears in defence pre-draft. So? Can he stop Hawkins? And he wanted to be a forward, while playing loose back, while being listed as a key defender. The “swing man” talk was code for nothing making sense on paper.

His interview comments when dragged weren’t necessarily a turnoff, but indicated he wasn’t anything special either. He said he chose football because he wasn’t good enough for cricket. Attributed his future success to innate qualities. Sounded a bit thick talking about state tribalism, as he took themes that would’ve been introduced to him recently by his coach quite literally. Maybe that’s fine, maybe players like Taylor Walker succeed like that, but he did but strike me as a Richmond player. He also sounded like he did whatever the people around him praised him to do, which IMO shows a lack of direction or security within himself.

He’a below average, psychologically, and at risk of his physical attributes not translating well into an AFL position. We like good character and most of our successful picks have clear elite physical traits in their expected AFL position (the ones who didn’t were Naish especially, then C. Ellis and Lennon).

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

All those guys can be picked up as DFAs. Why would they wait to the PSD?

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
GWS apparently interested now. Second to WCE they would know more first-hand about him than any other club as he was a participant in their academy

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
GWS apparently interested now. Second to WCE they would know more first-hand about him than any other club as he was a participant in their academy
He was the hot fav for the no.1 pick in his draft year early on after a dominate u16 champs.

He was so good a number of AFL clubs campaigned the AFL that he didn't qualify for the GWS academy and eventually got their way.

It just goes to show how important the final year of a players development is and how difficult / high risk both the 2020 and this years draft will be.

Players like Sonsie, Rachele, Sinn, Chesser all had very good u16 champs but very few games since and of those few some really poor ones. I'd be be bypassing all of them.

Reactions: 3 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
You know that the GWS Academy is just a list of promising young footballers who know someone that lives in NSW, right? It is just a scam to make sure that they keep getting access to decent young talent.

It is not as if they have a program and a building and stuff. They probably never even met him.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users