Jeff Hogg | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jeff Hogg

smoo

The Tiger Roars Again!
Sep 8, 2003
Melbourne
www.techspeak.biz
Spoke to Jeff Hogg on the phone today. He is getting some work done by the place I work for. He was most accomodating in discussing his footy days and was great to talk to. He is now running a corporate health company and very successful from what I can tell from our discussion. Nice to talk to an ex player on the phone who was happy to talk. Told him I was a mad Richmond fan and enjoyed watching him play even though it was dark days for the Tigers at the time (then again, when hasn't it been dark days for us over the last 34 years lol).

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I never cry in footy, but that trade to Fitzroy was close to tears for me. Felt sorry for the bloke.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Very good player. How handy would he be now for us? One week he could play fullback then the next he could give Jack a chop out.

And I had the number 34 on my jumper as a kid.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
First saw Jeff Hogg when he was playing in Richmond U19s. They won the premiership that year. Hogg played CHF / FF as a mobile 190cm forward.

Excellent junior team that year, included Ricky Jackson, Justin Pickering, Des Ryan, amongst others.
I wonder how good these juniors could have been if they'd have been given the best facilities and coaching at senior level.

As others have said, Hogg was very versatile, playing both forward and back. An early back injury restricted him for much of his senior footy.
Hogg did very well, considering his lack of development and that early back injury.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Phantom said:
First saw Jeff Hogg when he was playing in Richmond U19s. They won the premiership that year. Hogg played CHF / FF as a mobile 190cm forward.

Excellent junior team that year, included Ricky Jackson, Justin Pickering, Des Ryan, amongst others.
I wonder how good these juniors could have been if they'd have been given the best facilities and coaching at senior level.

As others have said, Hogg was very versatile, playing both forward and back. An early back injury restricted him for much of his senior footy.
Hogg did very well, considering his lack of development and that early back injury.

Des Ryan was another one of those 'Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane' types. His bro Stephen was better in some parts.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
TigerForce said:
Des Ryan was another one of those 'Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane' types. His bro Stephen was better in some parts.
Even back then our lack of being able to develop players was so obvious. Steve had a great first season then nothing.......

Des showed promise but never delivered. We didn't get a game out of Ricky Jackson.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
tigertim said:
Even back then our lack of being able to develop players was so obvious. Steve had a great first season then nothing.......

Des showed promise but never delivered. We didn't get a game out of Ricky Jackson.

We've carried headaches for 30 years timmy, and yet we're still here in sanity....or are we?. ;D

Hugo

I intend to live forever, or die trying
Mar 10, 2014
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
I never cry in footy, but that trade to Fitzroy was close to tears for me. Felt sorry for the bloke.

He was shot when he played for Fitzroy. Spent most of his time on the deck, obviously had no core strength due to his back injury. The trade deal was a great coup for the tigers - Broderick/Gale/Dundas. Amazing really.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Hugo said:
He was shot when he played for Fitzroy. Spent most of his time on the deck, obviously had no core strength due to his back injury. The trade deal was a great coup for the tigers - Broderick/Gale/Dundas. Amazing really.

Bar Dundas, it was a great trade, but it was sad seeing our best FF go. I'm sure there were other players we could've traded instead of Hoggy.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
tigertim said:
\ We didn't get a game out of Ricky Jackson.

We didn't get a game out of Ricky Jackson because the powers that be, circa 1986, decided he was too small and fragile.

Yet, by 1988, Jackson had proved himself a key factor in the Dees playing consecutive finals and playing in a grand final.

Unfortunately, with a major knee injury, he lost his pace and most crucial asset.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
There were a few players from our Under 19s who had varying levels of success at other clubs without getting a senior game at Richmond.

Simon Verbeek had a good debut season at Carlton, John Klug the same at Adelaide, while of course Matthew Clarke went on to have a very good career after playing in our under 19s.

They are just 3, along with Ricky Jackson, off the top of my head.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
toby64 said:
There were a few players from our Under 19s who had varying levels of success at other clubs without getting a senior game at Richmond.

Simon Verbeek had a good debut season at Carlton, John Klug the same at Adelaide, while of course Matthew Clarke went on to have a very good career after playing in our under 19s.

They are just 3, along with Ricky Jackson, off the top of my head.
Matty Clarke wasnt in the '85 under 19 team, he was in the '91 under 19 team.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
tigertim said:
Matty Clarke wasnt in the '85 under 19 team, he was in the '91 under 19 team.

Yeah I know...was speaking about our under 19s in general, not specifically 1985

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
toby64 said:
Yeah I know...was speaking about our under 19s in general, not specifically 1985
Fair enough: James Thiessen, Paul Dimmatina, Simon Garlick, Chris Curran....

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Well done to Jeff on being made a life member of the club tonight. Was a very good player, and very fair player.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
MB78 said:
Well done to Jeff on being made a life member of the club tonight. Was a very good player, and very fair player.

Became part of the 'Rod Carter Head Tilt Hall of Fame' last year too, I believe.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Was a very good player for us, the Mother's Day massacre comes to mind! Skippered the Tigers so respect Hoggy

Probably best known for being part of the broderick and gale trade ( and Dundas )