Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
It’s interesting that many are saying a lack of preseason is why he is not preforming. I don’t agree with this. He is being played midfield. If he was underdone and didn’t have the tank he surely wouldn’t be playing in the guts? I think he is down on confidence. Him and George need marking practice. And both need to be told if you jump for a mark it needs to be taken with outstretched hands.

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
It’s interesting that many are saying a lack of preseason is why he is not preforming. I don’t agree with this. He is being played midfield. If he was underdone and didn’t have the tank he surely wouldn’t be playing in the guts? I think he is down on confidence. Him and George need marking practice. And both need to be told if you jump for a mark it needs to be taken with outstretched hands.
He did miss a Pre season right , how can you argue that

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I don't know what the reason is for Josh's drop off in form, is it no pre-season, carrying a niggle, playing more midfield, plays better with Jack than Lynch?
I think one reason is that we seem to kick to Lynch on most occasions. Josh took 21 contested marks last year, has only taken the one this season.

sportshow

Tiger Rookie
Apr 14, 2009
Get a grip TOO.
Caddy is clearly carrying something but agree he’s hard to get a read on atm.
I’m still confident he’ll be holding the flag during the last Saturday in September.
I know Yips is a fan

Caddy is carrying something alright .... a golf bag .... i’ll see myself out ....

#apologies

Reactions: 3 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I was as dubious as anyone about the recruitment of Caddy initially. I saw a plodder with average skills.

I was wrong in the way that a Richmond supporter looking at a Geelong player often is.

There is an overused cliche in footballing media about team barometers. Not least because barometers measure air pressure, and it seems an odd measuring device to equate to football. I'm not sure Caddy is so much a measure of the pressure our team's applying (that goes to Rioli), but he's definitely the Egometer. When he is using his physicality to beat up on the opposition, puffing his chest out, pushing defenders over and barreling through packs, he brings a level of bigheaded-ness to the team that we otherwise lack.

One of the most critical deficiencies our injuries have given us this year is within Ego. No Jack, no Rance, there goes half the Ego of our side. Caddy's another quarter of it on his own. Nank normally gives us some, Butler would too, but his supplies are dwindling. We traded away Ego depth when we lost Lloyd, and we have some developing Ego in Balta. Lynch has some, but is still figuring out how to inject it into the team dynamic.

As amazing as Cotchy, Edwards, Vlossy, Grimes, even Martin are, they're the "get it done quietly" type guys, not the "put the ball in my hands, take a few steps back and watch the show" type guys. You want some Look At Me players. In fact you need them. Our balance has been off all year.

And that's why Caddy is so important. I credit him with changing up our form when he came in in round 4. He got us strutting again. He may be struggling a little positionally at the moment (he found his calling last year as the second tall/rotating mid in a settled team) but we need him. And when Jack comes back in two weeks, we'll see the best of him again. I also can't wait to see the forward line that has him, Jack and Lynch in it. The midfield won't be able to resist gravitational pull of their collective Ego, and the ball will just be drawn there.

Reactions: 7 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Don’t expect much this week - struggles to get a kick at the dome. But I agree he seems to miss the jack dynamic - those two worked very very well together over the last two years.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Don’t expect much this week - struggles to get a kick at the dome. But I agree he seems to miss the jack dynamic - those two worked very very well together over the last two years.

Agree, reckon he works extremely well with Jack. But clearly he's been out of form a bit. Need him to get back on track, if not for this year, for our tilt at the premiership next year as he is a very important cog in our machine.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Whats his injury now??

Caddy is possibly out with what I believe was a deep laceration to his leg he sustained last week.

Was patched up and (packed, cleaned, disinfected and bandaged) and sent back on but it most likely required suturing after the game, so he'll probably just miss this week only.