Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
With Nank due back next week I think you'll see Soldo and Chol out and Nank and Caddy in - have to play Chol with Soldo but not with Nank.

So who goes 2nd ruck ? Chol gives us good flexibility & all of a sudden with 2 permanent tall forwards & a handy 2nd ruck we aren't as predictable. I would have Caddy in for Graham.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Reckon we're gunna need to keep Cholly in as back up ruck to Nank, certainly provides us with that extra bit of flexibility n the last thing we want is to over load Nank when he's just come back from half a season groin tweak. Also reckon Graham is a more than suitable replacement for Caddy. Graham covers more ground a bit faster than Cadds, he puts plenty of heat on oppo mids and is more than capable of sneaking forward for a sausage or two. Probably doesn't quite have the in the face yap n enforcer mongrel of Cadds at the moment. Cadds might find it difficult to force his way back into the side over the next few weeks.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Caddy playing in the pivot in the VFL.

Getting some miles and midfield time and conditioning into him.

When he comes back hes going to be rolling through the midfield more often I would suspect.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Likewise KMac
Things are healthier when there’s real doubt about who gets into the team

Personally both aren’t that good,
Caddy is on decent coin, that can’t run in the midfield, he is too slow.
McIntosh is Ray Hall, Brendan Bower & Marty White all rolled into one. You can’t have a bloke playing on the wing getting 10 or 12 possessions a game.He is no good.
I would off load the both of them, one for cap space and the other because I reckon we have kids coming through who have him covered.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au

When he comes back hes going to be rolling through the midfield more often I would suspect.
Come finals time, I think they want the option of using him as a stormtrooper – a big-bodied, aggro, defensive mid who can put a bit of hurt on opponents like Dangerfield, Yeo or Pendlebury plus whoever tries to tag Martin or Cotchin eg Greenwood, De Boer, etc. Historically, our attack on oppo taggers has been insipid.

Who knows, Caddy may only do it at centre bounces, where the 6-6-6 makes it imperative that we try to break even.

Against a superior ruck like Grundy, our best tactic is to force a secondary stoppage, whereupon 6-6-6 evaporates and we can grind it out until we get the pill out to a Tiger in the clear.

Hopefully, while in the magoos, Caddy is also being taught by Towner how to put opponents into the middle of next week.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Come finals time, I think they want the option of using him as a stormtrooper – a big-bodied, aggro, defensive mid who can put a bit of hurt on opponents like Dangerfield, Yeo or Pendlebury plus whoever tries to tag Martin or Cotchin eg Greenwood, De Boer, etc. Historically, our attack on oppo taggers has been insipid.

Who knows, Caddy may only do it at centre bounces, where the 6-6-6 makes it imperative that we try to break even.

Against a superior ruck like Grundy, our best tactic is to force a secondary stoppage, whereupon 6-6-6 evaporates and we can grind it out until we get the pill out to a Tiger in the clear.

Hopefully, while in the magoos, Caddy is also being taught by Towner how to put someone into the middle of next week.

Some very valid points there Albert

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The end will come quickly for Caddy due to his lack of leg speed. Once his marking starts to fail (which there are signs already with his attempts to mark everything on his chest) and his goal kicking accuracy drops (again signs are already there) he will not have enough positive attributes

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I think we're all falling into the really very conmon footy trap of reacting to a couple of games, rather than a season.

Amongst other possible changes, next week will be;

Out: Chol, Soldo
In: Nank, Caddy

Chol still dream walks through games. Though is substantially improved in that regard.

I hope he's a mainstay next year.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Chol gives us much needed added flexibility. Can see why they're persevering.
However I do agree he's yet to earn complete trust.
Needs to start stringing good performances together leading up to the finals, starting with Sunday vs Poort.

Totally agree about Chol, 5 minute cameos won’t keep him in the side either.

gas&fuel

Tiger Cub
Jun 26, 2019
Chol gives us much needed added flexibility. Can see why they're persevering.
However I do agree he's yet to earn complete trust.
Needs to start stringing good performances together leading up to the finals, starting with Sunday vs Poort.
Think that's Saturday

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not sure how things are going to pan out selection wise with Caddy.
Jack, Lynch and now Stack are playing forward, there’s no room, or need for Caddy in the forward line.
And I don’t think there’s room for both Caddy and Graham in the midfield. I think both of them will be given chances in the next month or so.
It’s great to have competition for spots, will be interesting to see what eventuates.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Caddys been running in quicksand all year. Being in the 2s could be the reality check he needs to compete for a spot rather than expecting to be handed it .. like Celebrant has said, his grunt could be handy come September ..

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018

I think a lot of people also forget that Caddy had ankle surgery in the off season and during pre-season he actually looked as though he was really getting ready for a more midfield role before he was injured. He then spent the next few months back in the rehab group and missed the first few games of this season. Not getting a full pre-season in just about always has far more of an impact than most of us realise so getting some miles, midfield time and conditioning into him sounds spot on.

Cotchin_4_brownlow

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 25, 2009
Maybe after 2 or 3 games back but early on I can't see Nanks rucking on his own without backup, therefore unless Chol loses form totally I can't see him being dropped. Soldo the likely one to go out. He is non existent at ground level and around the ground.
Yep agreed. Caddy isn't going into the ruck...

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Dimma said this

"Caddy's important to the way we want to play. We're trialling something with Josh and the way we want him to play,
We know he can play forward. We're trying to improve his flexibility of a role we want him to play. It's going to be an important role when he comes back into the side.
We had a really good look at it last week and he'll hopefully improve on that again this week.
He's the first to admit he hasn't been playing his best but he's probably reflective of the side, in a way, but we are looking forward to welcoming him back in the not-too-distant future."

looking forward to the VFL fellas expanding on this tomoz

Reactions: 1 user

Pandaboy

Tiger Superstar
Mar 27, 2009
From Hardwicks presser I didn't get the feeling Caddy will be back in the team any time soon.

In no mans land at the moment. Too slow and doesnt get enough of it to play as a mid, and with the tall timbers not required up forward. Cant believe how quickly has it turned south for josh since last year where he was almost an AA.

Just dont see how theres a spot for him now?