Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Loved his game. Most wingers must look at our team and go, crap I'm up against McIntosh, I'll swap wings then see either Caddy or pickett there and thinking "its going to be a long painful night"
I agree. ... I hope he’s driven like Kamdyn was after missing out.... maybe Dustin is helping to push him along.... 'C'mon ya weak prick.... pull ya *smile* finger out!' ...... as mates tend to do!

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
To me Caddy is always best 22 (but don’t ask me who misses out! )
He just never got quite fit enough around finals last year.
Big game player, has mongrel, is tough and can go forward when we need goals

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I've always liked Caddy. Not only for his game but he brings something not many in our team has, and that's being an annoying lippy *smile*. Love those players when their yours.

But with the traffic jam of young talent we have coming through and demanding a shot in the seniors, I fear Caddy might be the one to make room for no other reason than he's probably most easily replaceable.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Played the wing role wonderfully.

So did Kmac.

I really hope that means midfield time for marlion

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
A different Caddy from last year. Still aggressive but faster and thinking better. Another player who has worked on his short comings and now is earning a place in our best 22

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Caddy looking fit and super determined to lock it in.

I still reckon that a team like gold coast missed a golden opportunity by not chasing Caddy.
Wouldve been a big bonus for them.
Who are their captains? Swallow as an honest but so-so inside mid. A good battler ruck in Witts. Honest triers.
They have a next generation of young stars. Come close but lack belief and drive to make finals.

Instead imagine gold coast recruit Cadds and drop him in as captain. He,d be as demanding on the track as a drill sergeant and as hot blooded in your face as a Friday night at the barrel bar.
The kids would walk taller and I,d back them to make finals.

Yep he,d be going back to his original club. But not as a young kid but as a multi premiership star.
Missed the chance.
Instead it looks like Josh will chase another medal with us :cupgold

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I still think he is best in the forward line, his biggest problem is who do you drop to fit him in?

Imagine Caddy as a versatile marking player in our forward line with Jack and Tom, but not really a place for him there.

Not sure if he is quick enough for the wing.

Hard to fit in the side, but you look at Caddy and you just want to find a place for him.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I still think he is best in the forward line, his biggest problem is who do you drop to fit him in?

Imagine Caddy as a versatile marking player in our forward line with Jack and Tom, but not really a place for him there.

Not sure if he is quick enough for the wing.

Hard to fit in the side, but you look at Caddy and you just want to find a place for him.

DS
If he plays forward then he's competing for Jack Riewoldt's spot.

I think he's more likely to be used further up the ground. Hopefully his speed isn't an ssue this year but the game hasn't slowed down any. Despite looking fitter there's no guarantees he gets named in the 22.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Super footy smarts, plays the tough guy as good as anyone, simply best 22 for me , love to see him spend some time deep forward during games , I’ve always liked the thought of Caddy and Dusty somewhat rotating

Reactions: 10 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Forward and wing for me.

There's room for Caddy with both tall forwards. Often when your tall is blocked out, you do need someone else to go up and bring it to ground or mark, and that was his specialty for a few years.

Likewise, the time he's spent on the wing in the preccy games, he's look good.

Was always way too good to be a fringe player. We are a stack better with this guy in form and in our best 22.

I've said it a million times on this forum. Can giove as much as DeGoey when he's forward, and he rarely wastes a shot at goal when he gets it.

Reactions: 5 users

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
I've said it a million times on this forum. Can giove as much as DeGoey when he's forward, and he rarely wastes a shot at goal when he gets it.
Big call. I get where you're coming from. He has the size, smarts and is a good contested mark. Not sure he has the explosive off the mark speed that DeGoey has.

As for Caddy on the wing, my question is whether he has the motor and the concentration to go up and back all day at pace, not necessarily to get the ball but to block the outlet. It's critical to our game plan. KMac has mastered it and is often underrated IMO because sometimes it doesnt result in posessions.

Reactions: 3 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
The media writes that Geelong will gain the most out of the new rule.I reckon a rotating full forward line of Caddy,Jack,and the Lynch will castrate the best of backlines IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
The media writes that Geelong will gain the most out of the new rule.I reckon a rotating full forward line of Caddy,Jack,and the Lynch will castrate the best of backlines IMO.

If you watch Making Their Mark Dimma addresses with the playing group with what Geelong likes to do and says something like if you can just make them kick a finger tip higher over the mark etc etc it will give us the all important time to pressure them.
So it does take away one of our strengths and maybe aids how Geelong want to play.
Doesn't mean we won't be able to take advantage of rule ourselves.

Reactions: 1 user

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Big call. I get where you're coming from. He has the size, smarts and is a good contested mark. Not sure he has the explosive off the mark speed that DeGoey has.

As for Caddy on the wing, my question is whether he has the motor and the concentration to go up and back all day at pace, not necessarily to get the ball but to block the outlet. It's critical to our game plan. KMac has mastered it and is often underrated IMO because sometimes it doesnt result in posessions.
KMac is actually elite at it, but like a lot of players on our list, is under rated at what he does.

When he lost his spot in our side, i don't think his workrate had dropped, but his disposal had got extremely sloppy.

As for Caddy, take a look at his stats through 2017 and 2018 relative to DeGoey. DeGoey's prime responsibility was to kick goals. Caddy's prime responsibility was to hit the packs and get the high ball to the ground, as we onl;y had one tall at that time. And despite the fact he had to sacrifice his game for the good of the team, he kicked basically as many goals at DeGoey and got as much of the ball. DeGoey definitely has some athletic traits, and i know whare you're coming from in that regard, but when you stack up the end result, Caddy wins in my estimates (based on the 2 seasons he played that role)

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Really glad he's back. He's a see you next Tuesday, but he's our see you next Tuesday.

Reactions: 6 users

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
KMac is actually elite at it, but like a lot of players on our list, is under rated at what he does.

When he lost his spot in our side, i don't think his workrate had dropped, but his disposal had got extremely sloppy.

As for Caddy, take a look at his stats through 2017 and 2018 relative to DeGoey. DeGoey's prime responsibility was to kick goals. Caddy's prime responsibility was to hit the packs and get the high ball to the ground, as we onl;y had one tall at that time. And despite the fact he had to sacrifice his game for the good of the team, he kicked basically as many goals at DeGoey and got as much of the ball. DeGoey definitely has some athletic traits, and i know whare you're coming from in that regard, but when you stack up the end result, Caddy wins in my estimates (based on the 2 seasons he played that role)
Fair enough Frick, point well made.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Marlion - elite running, blocking, tackling.
Cads - good run, very good ball wining, elite smarts and execution, powerful mark and kick.

Losing some defence. Gaining plenty of attack.