Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Caddy has had injury issues , team fit issues and it sounds like personal issues the last 2 years
if he gets a sniff of a more permanent spot in the top side I think we'll see more of the Caddy of old

fingers crossed because he will be a real asset

and our game plans will get a real rejig this off season so who knows what opportunities will be there for him

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Josh has become Insurance for Jack. I like his aggression and he is fantastic in Finals
I've said it countless times that Jack was his competition up front once Lynch arrived. His best work was back in 2018 was as Jack's second fiddle up forward.
He's been tried in defence & on the wing neither of which have really worked & despite coming to the club & wanting to play midfield, he just doesn't make anywhere near enough impact on the ball. His lack of pace is a real issue.
Will always be a dual premiership player & I thank him for that but it's come as no surprise to me at least that he's been left out of the team.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
His 2019 GF performance has been badly overlooked. Had a great game. Suppose they all did but still….
agreed. I would hate to see him as a Richmond whipping boy because he was pivotal to the way we played in 2017 and 2018 before lynch arrived and as a winger in 2019. He has been a terrific pick up for our club

Reactions: 9 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He got badly exposed on the wing a few times in 2020 due to lack of speed and endurance - Brad Hill and Issac Smith tore him a new one in those early games we lost at the G.

I expect coaches lost faith in him on the wing after those games and he was left fighting with Ross, RCD, Dow et al for an inside mid role.

He sooked it up at VFL level a few times last year after being the medical sub at senior level which didn't go down well. His own worst enemy at times.

stop posting good material, I may be forced to take you seriously

• Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
IMHO Caddy has been one of the few mistakes Dimma has made , I believe we persisted way to long with manic pressure forwards in Aarts and George in front of the more classic midsize forward in Caddy , still think the best pressure in footy is putting goals on the scoreboard and that’s what caddy’s capable of way more then the other midsize/small forwards

Reactions: 11 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
If Caddy had pace he'd be one of the most damaging players in the competition.

Hes tough, got high footy IQ, a great grab for his size, has, got skill and some campaigner in him.

Was pivotal in 17,18 and played his part in 19, butt lost the wing to Pickett and the resurgent Grover in 20, and hasn't found his way back.

Should have played more games in 21 than he did with our injury toll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
If Caddy had pace he'd be one of the most damaging players in the competition.

Hes tough, got high footy IQ, a great grab for his size, has, got skill and some campaigner in him.

Was pivotal in 17,18 and played his part in 19, butt lost the wing to Pickett and the resurgent Grover in 20, and hasn't found his way back.

Shoukld have played more games in 21 than he did with our injury toll.
I thought all year he was done at Tigerland, however, with a change in game plan, who know, he brings a certain mongrel that we don't have, except maybe Tom "Knee Dropper" Lynch

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Barely best 30 let alone best 22. Not much point hanging on to him and no other club will want him.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Barely best 30 let alone best 22. Not much point hanging on to him and no other club will want him.
Disagree. He is a 40 goal a year forward. Forget the wing experiment. Could easily play that third marking tall forward now that Chol and CCJ are gone.

Reactions: 5 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Caddy has had injury issues , team fit issues and it sounds like personal issues the last 2 years
if he gets a sniff of a more permanent spot in the top side I think we'll see more of the Caddy of old

and our game plans will get a real rejig this off season so who knows what opportunities will be there for him
I agree about the rejig.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

Lots of people have those sort of issues in the workplace. They are still expected to perform and be professional or else they're usually asked to leave.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
"Smiling Caddy, you dumb frown." Damien Hardwick after Caddy conceded a +50m penalty by not getting out of the way when a 50 had already been conceded. Josh couldn't keep up.

Masks have been a real blessing for coaches. I'm sure they call em all dumb frowns all the time. But Caddy hasn't spent much time in the seniors since then.

Pickett replaced him.

I'm not opposed to his being reinstated as a tall forward in the preseason. But Caddy works angles to mark the ball. He doesn't get separation. I'm not sure he's viable as a #3 forward. It's #2 or nothing. Maybe.

It's also not out of the question that Josh is enjoying his life a bit more than a coaching panel would like. And that his training loads aren't what are required for him to get his dumb frown mobile enough.

FWIW Josh Caddy did play inside midfield in 2015. Stood at the feet of the ruck at the bounce. It was his first crack at the role at AFL level and he was clearing 5 times a game for 20 touches. At 29yo in 2022 it would take a huge effort for Josh Caddy to reinvent himself for next year.

Any way you look at it Josh Caddy's stocks are in decline. It's up to him how he responds to that.

Reactions: 6 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
FWIW Josh Caddy did play inside midfield in 2015. Stood at the feet of the ruck at the bounce. It was his first crack at the role at AFL level and he was clearing 5 times a game for 20 touches. At 29yo in 2022 it would take a huge effort for Josh Caddy to reinvent himself for next year.

Any way you look at it Josh Caddy's stocks are in decline. It's up to him how he responds to that.
Have always thought Caddy would be a good tagger, he'd give his opponent a whole lot of grief.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Have always thought Caddy would be a good tagger, he'd give his opponent a whole lot of grief.

When he could get near him, Tm. Caddy's fitness is in question IMO. As much as his (lack of) athleticism.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Yeah, probably JD, I don't think Cameron Ling broke too many land speed records though.

They'd all be too quick for me at any age, Tm. I'm suggesting that it might be application.

Nobody has gone anywhere near Caddy as yet. He is clearly available. Can't get a game. He is on the nose, marketwise. How does he feel about that? Will he rage-date instamodels? Or lighten off and play some *smile* football? Both would be okay. But if goes the latter path it would fly in the face of the Dumb Frown testimony.

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
I thought he’d find a new home this trade period, but his asking price is probably to much for most clubs at the moment.
I don’t think he’ll get a lot of games next year for us either.
He could be valuable for a club if he was played to his strengths.
I’d say we would have pretty much given him away like butler etc. but obviously no takers with the money he would want.