Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I've always wondered about the dynamics with Josh..... appears really tight with Dustin, who in turn appears pretty tight with the coach, but it doesn't look like that circle gets completed.
Maybe it's a conga line, not a circle.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I'm guessing Josh's final year with us will be similar to 2020 and '21. Be pushing to play more than half a dozen games.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Agree, just a few short of kicking 50 goals a few years ago.
I just finished listening to the ABC coverage of the 2017 granny again - Caddy was absolutely huge in the first half - I reckon we owe him a lot for that flag.

He has a lot to teach our kids so I am glad he is still around the place and it would be great if he could regain a little form and hunt the forward line again.

Reactions: 6 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
He is the body needed to give Tommy a clear run at the ball. Very clever player. We have to play our natural forwards in the right positions. Also has genuine mongrel and you have to respect that. If there is some personal reason he is being overlooked, we need to sort it out over the off season. Something was amiss in 2021. With Caddy,Bakes and Danny back in front of the goals we will get a lot more respect from opposition defences.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Well, he's there as depth if we need him.
Otherwise, if he dominates the lower level then he may well force his way to a promotion.
Yep. No guarantees Jack R will get through another year. That's the role Caddy has had most success in.
I don't agree with playing him ahead of small forwards however, that's a very different role that Caddy would struggle with given defensive requirements & pace.
Don't mind the Townsend role comparison but that was also the year Lynch wasn't at the club & we went with Jack, Caddy & Towner as our smallish forward line & that worked for a time.
Caddy is going to be pretty lucky to play much snr footy this year is my feeling.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Article in todays Herald Sun says Caddy is putting his two melbourne properties on the market.
A Port Melbourne investment property and his Richmond home

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I've always wondered about the dynamics with Josh..... appears really tight with Dustin, who in turn appears pretty tight with the coach, but it doesn't look like that circle gets completed.
Mind you, I have absolutely no idea who loves who at the club.

*25 odd years ago I was on a building site with one of Josh's brothers (think there's around a 15yr age gap)
His biggest issue as a young fella was taking orders and focusing on the task at hand.... and *smile* he fired up... not in a good way...... if he was given a rocket. I dunno..... genetics maybe?

I've done a lot of work with AFL players and certain celebrities, to the point where names in my phone are coded, just in case i lose it at some point (the phone, not my mind).

It's funny the impression people have of others in the media spotlight, and what they are like in real life. The Bowdens, came to mind when i read this post ie how different they are to talk to.

I was doing some work with them back in their playing days, and it was Patrick Bowden who seemed to have a bit of ego about his role as an AFL footballer, and Joel who was as down to earth a guy as you'd ever meet. So i wouldn't read too much into a genetic link to behavior.

I was working with one of our senior players (no longer with the club) around 6 years ago, and to be frank, it was at times embarrassing to be around him when his wife was there. I genuinely felt sorry for her to the point where i wanted to tell him to pull his head in. The problem here is that one thing i've learned in life, is sometimes women don't want you to stand up for them. When it's a husband / wife situation then you're probably creating more problems than you're solving. I ended up talking to him about it in a matter of fact way a few weeks later and he claimed he was having an off day. He did give a bit of a 'my poo don't stink persona', so i was never keen on the idea of him ever captaining out club.

I'm currently doing some work with Heath Shaw and Alan Didak who are like the odd couple.

Kayne Pettifer is another that comes to mind when reading these boards. He's got a lot of aminosity towards him on these boards, but he's one of the nicest guys you'd meet. He'd be very hard for anyone whose met him to dislike.

Richo, well everyone now knows how decent a bloke he is. I used to fire up on these boards when Phantom would post his dribble about Richo. It was at a time probably before most had woken up to the tpe of guy he is relative to the perception that built up around him and was being fueled by the media. The guy genuinely has a heart the size of the MCG.

I won't go into the female celebrities, which is the reason fo rthe coding in my phone other than to say you seem to get one extreme to the other and nothing inbetween,

Reactions: 14 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I've done a lot of work with AFL players and certain celebrities, to the point where names in my phone are coded, just in case i lose it at some point (the phone, not my mind).

It's funny the impression people have of others in the media spotlight, and what they are like in real life. The Bowdens, came to mind when i read this post ie how different they are to talk to.

I was doing some work with them back in their playing days, and it was Patrick Bowden who seemed to have a bit of ego about his role as an AFL footballer, and Joel who was as down to earth a guy as you'd ever meet. So i wouldn't read too much into a genetic link to behavior.

I was working with one of our senior players (no longer with the club) around 6 years ago, and to be frank, it was at times embarrassing to be around him when his wife was there. I genuinely felt sorry for her to the point where i wanted to tell him to pull his head in. The problem here is that one thing i've learned in life, is sometimes women don't want you to stand up for them. When it's a husband / wife situation then you're probably creating more problems than you're solving. I ended up talking to him about it in a matter of fact way a few weeks later and he claimed he was having an off day. He did give a bit of a 'my poo don't stink persona', so i was never keen on the idea of him ever captaining out club.

I'm currently doing some work with Heath Shaw and Alan Didak who are like the odd couple.

Kayne Pettifer is another that comes to mind when reading these boards. He's got a lot of aminosity towards him on these boards, but he's one of the nicest guys you'd meet. He'd be very hard for anyone whose met him to dislike.

Richo, well everyone now knows how decent a bloke he is. I used to fire up on these boards when Phantom would post his dribble about Richo. It was at a time probably before most had woken up to the tpe of guy he is relative to the perception that built up around him and was being fueled by the media. The guy genuinely has a heart the size of the MCG.

I won't go into the female celebrities, which is the reason fo rthe coding in my phone other than to say you seem to get one extreme to the other and nothing inbetween,
Great insight. This ex player wouldn’t have left just prior to our premiership streak?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Caddy’s family do a lot of property development, dare say he’s freeing cash up for future investment.
Article in todays Herald Sun says Caddy is putting his two melbourne properties on the market.
A Port Melbourne investment property and his Richmond home

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I understand what you are saying TBR, but I reckon the main point a lot of us have made is that he seems to be best suited to the mid sized forward role. Problem is, we just don't need a mid sized forward as we already have 2 key forwards.

He is a reasonable AFL level player but it is damned hard to fit him anywhere in our team, and I don't think he would make it as a mid.

In a team where a mid sized forward fits I reckon he would get a fair number of games.

Pity really, love his aggro and competitiveness, just can't see where to put him.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
He’s the ultimate plug and play. He may not play in a Premiership, but he might be important getting us there throughout the season.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
Great insight. This ex player wouldn’t have left just prior to our premiership streak

Hmmm no comment
From the time he got drafted he was treating the staff like they were beneath him,
took him a while to realise the staff are there for support and to pull his head in,
Kayne was similar at the start, both good guys once they trusted you and opened up
Joel was very down to earth, Pat took awhile to open up once he arrived at Punt Road
Richo on the ground was so passionate,he would lose his temper at you on the ground , then after the game come and apologise lol

Reactions: 6 users