Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I don't really see how Caddy plays much footy in our best side, unless he can command a place as a midfielder.

People pushing him as a forward need to remember he was successful there playing effectively as a second forward with Riewoldt. He lost that spot to Lynch and he certainly won't be getting it back.

There's a huge difference in the second forward role and any other role in the forward line and I'm not sure he has the right attributes to play any of them. He's not quick enough to be a small forward and not big enough to play as a third key to split the interceptor.

The only way forward I see for him is to drop some weight and lift his running capacity enough to play as a pure inside midfielder.

Agree with all of this.

From reading Konrad’s book, it’s clear that clubs are using completely different terminology to describe positions, roles, and pieces of play, while the media and fans are still using outdated terms.

Caddy and to a lesser extent Townsend were both “key forwards“ tasked with bringing the ball to ground.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I understand what you are saying TBR, but I reckon the main point a lot of us have made is that he seems to be best suited to the mid sized forward role. Problem is, we just don't need a mid sized forward as we already have 2 key forwards.

He is a reasonable AFL level player but it is damned hard to fit him anywhere in our team, and I don't think he would make it as a mid.

In a team where a mid sized forward fits I reckon he would get a fair number of games.

Pity really, love his aggro and competitiveness, just can't see where to put him.

DS
With CCJ and Chol gone all we need is an injury to Jack or Tom and we may well need Caddy to play that role again in 2022.
Personally I am very happy that he stayed on the list for that reason alone

Reactions: 15 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Hardwick has been pretty open in talking about Caddy's injury issues when he was out of the side. Not exactly sure what the injury was does anyone recall?
I saw a player who already wasn't quick, looking slower than ever at snr level. Hopefully he can get past whatever has been holding him back & still make some contribution.

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I've done a lot of work with AFL players and certain celebrities, to the point where names in my phone are coded, just in case i lose it at some point (the phone, not my mind).

It's funny the impression people have of others in the media spotlight, and what they are like in real life. The Bowdens, came to mind when i read this post ie how different they are to talk to.

I was doing some work with them back in their playing days, and it was Patrick Bowden who seemed to have a bit of ego about his role as an AFL footballer, and Joel who was as down to earth a guy as you'd ever meet. So i wouldn't read too much into a genetic link to behavior.

I was working with one of our senior players (no longer with the club) around 6 years ago, and to be frank, it was at times embarrassing to be around him when his wife was there. I genuinely felt sorry for her to the point where i wanted to tell him to pull his head in. The problem here is that one thing i've learned in life, is sometimes women don't want you to stand up for them. When it's a husband / wife situation then you're probably creating more problems than you're solving. I ended up talking to him about it in a matter of fact way a few weeks later and he claimed he was having an off day. He did give a bit of a 'my poo don't stink persona', so i was never keen on the idea of him ever captaining out club.

I'm currently doing some work with Heath Shaw and Alan Didak who are like the odd couple.

Kayne Pettifer is another that comes to mind when reading these boards. He's got a lot of aminosity towards him on these boards, but he's one of the nicest guys you'd meet. He'd be very hard for anyone whose met him to dislike.

Richo, well everyone now knows how decent a bloke he is. I used to fire up on these boards when Phantom would post his dribble about Richo. It was at a time probably before most had woken up to the tpe of guy he is relative to the perception that built up around him and was being fueled by the media. The guy genuinely has a heart the size of the MCG.

I won't go into the female celebrities, which is the reason fo rthe coding in my phone other than to say you seem to get one extreme to the other and nothing inbetween,
No surprises about Richo, he’s a mate of a good friend and I can tell he’s a champion bloke . Pettifer is a good mate of richos, no surprises there either , cheers for the insights

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Whilst i agree with Caddy being our backup for Jack & Tom if an injury does occur and as others have mentioned with Tarrant now at the club it does free up our Balta option but a player most dont factor in is we also have Miller who most have him as a defender he actually has played as a foward at junior level and may surprise a few if played there.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
No surprises about Richo, he’s a mate of a good friend and I can tell he’s a champion bloke . Pettifer is a good mate of richos, no surprises there either , cheers for the insight
Richo would be limping after a knock, id get to him and ask " are you ok ?" no answer ,he was watching the play, the bench was waiting for a signal,
id ask again " richo all good? the doc is waiting for a reply" he would scream " im fine "
id give the ok wave to the bench then run off ( the doc would come out if was serious, he would wait for our signal if it was minor)
after the game the big man would come up and say " mate sorry about before" to be honest i would have forgetten about it, id never take it to heart
Richo is a class act
kayne and richo are still great mates
in Feb we will all catch up for a drink in honour of Spud

• Love
Reactions: 25 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Richo would be limping after a knock, id get to him and ask " are you ok ?" no answer ,he was watching the play, the bench was waiting for a signal,
id ask again " richo all good? the doc is waiting for a reply" he would scream " im fine "
id give the ok wave to the bench then run off ( the doc would come out if was serious, he would wait for our signal if it was minor)
after the game the big man would come up and say " mate sorry about before" to be honest i would have forgetten about it, id never take it to heart
Richo is a class act
kayne and richo are still great mates
in Feb we will all catch up for a drink in honour of Spud

great stuff Healer.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
No surprises about Richo, he’s a mate of a good friend and I can tell he’s a champion bloke . Pettifer is a good mate of richos, no surprises there either , cheers for the insights
Afout Kayne Pettifer and more in reference to the nic often appearing on here "Kayne Petrified", i remember watching a practice game at Pricess Park and seeing a player fly into an oncoming pack, almost taking a mark that would have easily over shadowed the Nick Reiwoldt mark, and as players picked themselves up of the grass, it was none other than Kayne Petrified who was on the komikaze mission. It was a ball landing slightly short so the pack was moving at pace, and Kayne moving twice as quick the other way. It's funny the things you see in practice matches. I can remember Adam Pattison in his first pre-season taking an absolute hanger, and i think that was intra club.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
As Caddy has not been delisted or traded then the club must suppose he is a worthy keep.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Afout Kayne Pettifer and more in reference to the nic often appearing on here "Kayne Petrified", i remember watching a practice game at Pricess Park and seeing a player fly into an oncoming pack, almost taking a mark that would have easily over shadowed the Nick Reiwoldt mark, and as players picked themselves up of the grass, it was none other than Kayne Petrified who was on the komikaze mission. It was a ball landing slightly short so the pack was moving at pace, and Kayne moving twice as quick the other way. It's funny the things you see in practice matches. I can remember Adam Pattison in his first pre-season taking an absolute hanger, and i think that was intra club.
Pettifer was and still is as tough as nails, played really well for a few years & kicked 100 goals over that time, great mark for a medium sized forward.

Reactions: 7 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
As Caddy has not been delisted or traded then the club must suppose he is a worthy keep.
We he has 1 year left on his contract and we already have 5 list spots available so really nothing to gain by losing him apart from his salary of the cap and with no takers we really had no choice imo. Adds depth and an experienced player so may as well keep

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Caddy can't get a game at RFC. You'd think one of the seventeen other clubs would have come a knocking. But here we are.

As of Nov 2021 there are eighteen clubs not offering Caddy a game. That's gotta be a wake up call.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Josh is and always will be Richmond royalty as a a Dual Premiership Player and a catalyst for our drought breaking 2017 win.

Reactions: 7 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Caddy can't get a game at RFC. You'd think one of the seventeen other clubs would have come a knocking. But here we are.

As of Nov 2021 there are eighteen clubs not offering Caddy a game. That's gotta be a wake up call.
I'm staggered he is still here, the relationship between Josh and the coaches was super toxic.

I hope it has been repaired. I heard Freo tried reasonably hard to get it done and Brisbane came in late but it never got anywhere.