Josh Dunkley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Dunkley

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
The Don said:
Good news! We might have a chance of drafting someone who can kick now.
Sounds like he cracked it and nominated them afy=ter we told him we wouldn't take him at 12.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
He didn't really want to leave Vic. This I'm guessing, is his way of controlling where he ends up.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
By nominating Sydney does he automatically go there?

I read somewhere before his decision that Sydney might not have the required number of draft pick points to bid for him.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
YinnarTiger said:
By nominating Sydney does he automatically go there?

I read somewhere before his decision that Sydney might not have the required number of draft pick points to bid for him.
Someone would have to bid for him at sometime, then Sydaknee get the opportunity to match the bid. Less the 20% F/S discount of course. If Syd don't match the bid, he goes to the bidding club. If no-one bids Syd can have him for as late a pick as they wish to use.

Brooklyn Tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Plus they can go into deficit this yr on their points if they want to and it will be taken out of next yrs pool. However i think Sydney have said they do not want to do this so i'm assuming they have other academy kids coming through next yr also.

Other clubs should use this to advantage. nominate early and put them in a position where they need to decide between a player this yr or possible lose points and acadamy players next yr..

the cynic in me says that clubs will probably not go to hard on this though due it biting them on the backside later with father-sons or trades or whatever.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
will go to sydney, Get developed there in the neafl but wont be good enough to break into sydneys midfield with the likes of Mills & Heeney as well as the talent they already have there currently

Delisted in 2 years or traded

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
turk-d-tiger said:
will go to sydney, Get developed there in the neafl but wont be good enough to break into sydneys midfield with the likes of Mills & Heeney as well as the talent they already have there currently

Delisted in 2 years or traded

I have heard that if another club bids for him with a top 40 pick, Sydney won't match it as they don't want a points deficit in 2016 - they must have yet another academy or f/s target next year as well.

Mappa

Tiger Superstar
Jul 3, 2009
We may bid for him with our second pick, won't get him but who knows?
New system might catch a few out.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Was mentioned on SEN yesterday that it looks like Dunkley and Swans have agreed that if a Victorian club bids then swans dont match but if its an interstae team then they will match the bid and Dunkley will play with the swans - His preference is to stay in Victoria

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Got this boy so wrong.

24 touches and 9 tackles in a prelim. Has been super all year.

Another contested beast and smart pick by the Dogs.

go polo

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 28, 2005
But he can not kick. Luckily he is playing in a good side.

What I don't understand is kids like Casboult and Dunkley have gone through the under `18 program with kicking issues that have not been addressed prior to drafting.

Colonel

Tiger Matchwinner
May 22, 2007
go polo said:
But he can not kick. Luckily he is playing in a good side.

What I don't understand is kids like Casboult and Dunkley have gone through the under `18 program with kicking issues that have not been addressed prior to drafting.
Is he really that bad a kick? I reckon that is overstated

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Just not a great kick. But not terrible; serviceable usually.
What should be noted is that he has had a high number of score involvements in the finals. This might show his kicking is adequate and he is truly valuable for a 1st year player.

Tellitasitis

Tiger Rookie
Jul 13, 2016
Leysy Days said:
Nah, his kicking is terrible.

Wow, said in first person too. ;D

Has worked on it a fair bit, probably never be fluent, but he's been very effective and plays in an AFL Grand Final in his first year- impressive lad!