Justice? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Justice?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
evo said:
I got the strap quite a lot in primary school.Amazing how things have changed.
We had the "cuts" at primary & high school. 6 on each hand with the cane. The vice-principle took great pleasure in it I'm sure. Acted like a power hungry drill sargeant he did and you could barely hold a pencil for the rest of the day.

Liverpool you are way off base with this one. Hell will freeze over before they go back to those barbaric procedures.

The responsibility of discipline ultimately lies with the parents. Teachers are expected to dish out too much discipline as it is. They are there to teach, not be babysitters and disciplinarians. People need to be accountable for their child's action's. Unfortunately as has crept into our society, everyone is passing the buck and blaming someone else.

felix

Tiger Matchwinner
May 3, 2005
Liverpool said:
evo said:

And do you feel you came out of it o.k?
No lasting effects? Trips to the psycho or anything?
You seem to come out of it (half) o.k anyways... :hihi
no lasting effects? hes a richmond supporter, thats enough to drive any one insane :angel: :angel: :angel:

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
4 Year olds swearing - I think we know where they get their language from. The parents are showing a great lack of discipline themselves in front of their kids to expose them to swearing and bad behaviour, and kids learn very fast. The responsibility for how they behave rests with the parents, not teachers.

I agree - teachers should not be dishing out corporal punishment. I'm glad that's now outlawed. I got the strap across my palms when I was in grade 2, and I remember it well. Can't remember if my parents were informed about it.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
evo said:
We had the "cuts" at primary & high school. 6 on each hand with the cane. The vice-principle took great pleasure in it I'm sure. Acted like a power hungry drill sargeant he did and you could barely hold a pencil for the rest of the day.

Liverpool you are way off base with this one. Hell will freeze over before they go back to those barbaric procedures.

The responsibility of discipline ultimately lies with the parents. Teachers are expected to dish out too much discipline as it is. They are there to teach, not be babysitters and disciplinarians. People need to be accountable for their child's action's. Unfortunately as has crept into our society, everyone is passing the buck and blaming someone else.

I agree, yes, it should be the parents first and foremost who discipline their kids.
However, in todays age where so many people have taken mortgages, where both parents have to work...kids are usually placed in childcare at such a young age now, and therefore spend more than half of their time in childcare/kindergarten/school....therefore, they are babysitters, I'm afraid.
If parents aren't raising their kids, and other institutions are, then surely its up to these places to be able to discipline kids when warranted....or how are kids going to be raised in a structured way, learning respect and what is right/wrong?
As I said to Rosy, it doesn't mean beating a kid so they end up in hospital, but I think a tap on the arse to let the kids know who's boss, especially when the parents have passed the buck in the first place, should be allowed.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Another joke sentence....a poor little kid gets a foot amputated, and this bozo gets off this lightly! :mad: :mad:

School crash driver escapes jail sentence
February 10, 2006 - 12:32PM

A drunk driver who injured five children when he drove into a wall at a Melbourne primary school has been handed a three-year suspended jail sentence.

Sudanese refugee Taban Gany, 32, of Doveton, had a blood alcohol reading of .175 - more than three times the legal limit - when his car smashed into the brick wall at Dandenong West Primary School on May 19, 2005.

The bricks crushed a six-year-old boy, whose right foot had to be amputated while an 11-year-old girl received multiple leg fractures.

Another 11-year-old girl needed 35 stitches in her head.

Gany pleaded guilty at the Victorian County Court to four counts of negligently causing serious injury, one count of drink driving and one count of reckless conduct endangering life.

Today, Judge Peter Gebhardt sentenced him to three years jail, suspended for three years.

He also cancelled Gany's licence and banned him from applying for another for three years

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Beat me to it Liverpool. This one really annoyed me because it happened just up the road from where I live. How many chances does this guy get before he gets jailed? He was nabbed for being over the limit a few days after he got his licence and this incident happened while his licence was ALREADY suspended!So naturally the judge cancels his licence :eek:. The little kid whose foot was amputated asked a bloody fantastic question on the news tonight. 'Why isn't he in jail before he hurts someone else?'. A six year old makes more sense than the judge. I'm sorry, there NO excuse for this guy being on the streets without jail!!!

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
More garbage from our judiciary! :mad:
About time some of these bloody fools were made accountable for their decisions...no wonder people take the law into their own hands (or are at least tempted to!) :-\

Gang rape sentences 'a mockery'

A sentence reduction for two convicted rapists has devalued the victim and made a mockery of the justice system, victims support groups say.

The NSW Court of Criminal Appeal today cut the sentences of Dudley Mark Aslett and Steven James Aslett, who tied up the parents of a 16-year-old girl before raping the teenager at knifepoint.

They were among four men who had broken into the family's unit at Newington, in Sydney's west, in July 2003.

Dudley Aslett had his maximum sentence cut from 40 years to 30 years, while his nephew Steven Aslett had his reduced from 24 years to 20.

Ken Marslew, from victims support group Enough is Enough, said the lack of appropriate sentencing was "a blight on society".

The decisions made a "mockery of the justice system" and devalued the teenage victim, he said.

"What if you had been the person that had been violated to this extent, and felt you had some sense of justice? You'd feel it had been turned around on you," Mr Marslew said.

NSW Rape Crisis Centre manager Karen Willis said the sentence reduction would be a let-down for the victim of the assault, and the appeals system needed to be "fixed".

"She's gone through a very long and protracted court case, got the conviction, and at least she would have walked home that day thinking: 'they've done what they've done to me, and I can't change that, but for the next 30 to 40 years they can't do that to anybody else'," Ms Willis said.

"What she has found out today is after all of the effort ... it's now been reduced.

"We have legislation with the possibility in NSW of giving quite long sentences to people who the courts decide are an incredible danger to our community.

"It seems that all they have to do is rock off to the appeals court and get it halved, and that needs to be fixed."

In sentencing the men in 2004, Justice Michael Finnane said the victim had the worst injuries he had seen in his 35-year legal career - requiring surgery to her genitalia after the attack.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Liverpool said:
Another joke sentence....a poor little kid gets a foot amputated, and this bozo gets off this lightly!  :mad: :mad:

School crash driver escapes jail sentence
February 10, 2006 - 12:32PM

A drunk driver who injured five children when he drove into a wall at a Melbourne primary school has been handed a three-year suspended jail sentence.

Sudanese refugee Taban Gany, 32, of Doveton, had a blood alcohol reading of .175 - more than three times the legal limit - when his car smashed into the brick wall at Dandenong West Primary School on May 19, 2005.

The bricks crushed a six-year-old boy, whose right foot had to be amputated while an 11-year-old girl received multiple leg fractures.

Another 11-year-old girl needed 35 stitches in her head.

Gany pleaded guilty at the Victorian County Court to four counts of negligently causing serious injury, one count of drink driving and one count of reckless conduct endangering life.

Today, Judge Peter Gebhardt sentenced him to three years jail, suspended for three years.

He also cancelled Gany's licence and banned him from applying for another for three years

Sheesh ... I thought Danish justice was lenient.
I shudder to think at what I'd do to that bloke if itwas my kid who lost a foot.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It seems a jail sentence isn't a reliable deterrent for sex offenders anyway. They are often a danger to society as soon as they're released.

Chemical castration would put an end to their sick urges.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
rosy said:
It seems a jail sentence isn't a reliable deterrent for sex offenders anyway.  They are often a danger to society as soon as they're released. 

Chemical castration would put an end to their sick urges. 

As a father of two daughters, would prefer castration for rapists with a rusty razor blade, and no after care.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
More rubbish dished out by our legal system....just disgraceful! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Here we have a person who will (SHOULD) never see the light of day.....so I don't give a stuff about his rehabilitation or his personal health.
Its supposed to be a jail, not a bloody country retreat! :mad:

Wish these bloody do-gooders would shut-up...and let him rot there.

Milat prison perks are toast
June 21, 2006 - 12:41PM

The NSW Premier, Morris Iemma, has defended his decision to revoke privileges given to convicted serial killer Ivan Milat, saying reacting to the concerns of victims groups is "entirely appropriate''.

Milat, 61, is serving a life sentence in Goulburn's Supermax high-security prison for the murder of seven backpackers between 1989 and 1992.

He was given a sandwich toaster and a television as part of Corrective Services' privilege and punishment system because he was deemed no longer likely to attempt to kill himself, or to escape.

Mr Iemma said he was contacted by a victims' group yesterday over the revelation, and was disturbed by the claims of rewards for Milat.

"This is one of the most notorious mass murderers in Australian criminal history, and quite appropriately, in relation to the concerns expressed by victims groups, that this matter be reviewed.''

He denied it was kneejerk reaction to newspaper claims.

"Not at all, it's a reaction to the distress of the families.''

While acknowledging the tough conditions at the Goulburn Supermax jail - where Milat is held - he said the victims' families' concerns needed to be considered.

"[Prisoners are] not lying under a palm tree out there at the supermax. It is high security [but] this is simply a case of [us owing] it to the victims to have the matter examined.''

NSW Justice Minister Tony Kelly had earlier in the day defended the decision on Sydney radio, saying Supermax was not "a holiday camp'' but Milat did not deserve the reward.

"The Supermax, or the high risk management unit at Goulburn Gaol, which is the toughest gaol in Australia, is not a holiday camp,'' he said.

"Ivan Milat will leave that facility in a box at his funeral, but we do appreciate the concerns of the families of the abducted and ... we have asked the Commissioner for Corrective Services [Ron Woodham] to suspend the privileges.''

Milat was reportedly given the privileges because of good behaviour - specifically that he is no longer deemed an escape or suicide risk.

He attempted to escape from Maitland Jail in 1997 and in 2001 he swallowed razor blades, staples and a chain from a set of nail clippers in an apparent suicide attempt.

eight ace

I live a life of well fed idleness
Feb 24, 2004
What on earth is your point? The privileges were given to him by the *smile* prison authorities. Exactly who are the 'do-gooders' you are whingeing about?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Liverpool said:
More rubbish dished out by our legal system....just disgraceful! :mad: :mad: :mad:
... he swallowed razor blades, staples and a chain from a set of nail clippers in an apparent suicide attempt.[/i]

So what's your plan for running the prisons Liverpool?

I know anyone who disagrees with you is soft or a "do-gooders" (you're so quick with the names) while those who agree with your simplistic insights are .... you tell me.

So how do you folk plan to manage the prisons?

Have you ever been to a prison? Talked about the management? What's the plan?

He got a toaster. Big deal.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
eight-ace,
Yes, the do-gooders are the people who are rewarding a convicted serial killer, for simply not attempting to hurt himself.
My point is that its a JAIL...he should not be given anything. Full stop.
Seeing that he is not getting out, then "rehabilitation" cannot be used as an argument either.

Dyere'ere,
My running of prisons would be simple.
No TV. No internet. No toasters. Its a jail, for God's sake, not the Hilton! :mad:
Bed/bunk...toilet...communal showers. Thats it.

There are homeless people out there who have committed no crime, who are getting less than someone who has gone out there and taken the lives of numerous innocent people.

Oh..."he got a toaster, big deal"...seems you need a reminder of what this person did:

http://www.geocities.com/verbal_plainfield/i-p/milat.html

How about you tell the relatives of these victims, "He got a toaster, big deal", and see how far you get.
You comments are just as disgraceful as the idiots who have granted rewards to this evil lunatic! :mad:

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I just don't think whether or not he gets a toaster has any bearing on justice, Liverpool.

It's just trivial in isolation. Ivan Milat got a toaster- Ivan Milat didn't get a toaster. And the whole Ivan Milat saga is back in the papers again to remind the victims' families. Did you really want me to ring them? Or was that rhetorical?

Now, if Milat were to get a toaster he might be able to to put the matter to rest as he's tried to do in the past. Appliances have wires and electricity in them. That would be a justice issue worth troubling the families over.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Dyer'ere said:
I just don't think whether or not he gets a toaster has any bearing on justice, Liverpool.

It's just trivial in isolation. Ivan Milat got a toaster- Ivan Milat didn't get a toaster. And the whole Ivan Milat saga is back in the papers again to remind the victims' families. Did you really want me to ring them? Or was that rhetorical?

Now, if Milat were to get a toaster he might be able to to put the matter to rest as he's tried to do in the past. Appliances have wires and electricity in them. That would be a justice issue worth troubling the families over.

Its not trivial mate.
I'm sure the families especially, as well as the general public, would like to think that this monster is actually being punished for what he did...and not even have the chance to be 'rewarded' for good behaviour or the like.
If such rewards weren't handed to Milat, and he was left to rot with the very bare minimum for the rest of his life, then it wouldn't be in the news, would it?
Its not the media's fault, but the prison authorities, for allowing such luxuries to be handed to Milat int he first place.

If we want him to knock himself off.....why give him a toaster...just give him back his razor blades, much cheaper...and the toaster can go to the Salvos where people who could do with such luxuries can be a little bit better off.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Maybe it's all part of the plan.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19551657-29277,00.html

Milat threatens suicide
June 22, 2006
SERIAL killer Ivan Milat has been moved to an observation cell following his threat to commit suicide over the confiscation of his toaster and television.

The 61-year-old former road worker, jailed for life in 1996 for murdering seven backpackers, had first been given the privileged items because he was no longer deemed a suicide or escape risk.
However, they were taken back and a review ordered of the reward system in place at the Goulburn supermax jail after the families of Milat's victims and NSW Premier Morris Iemma expressed outrage at the policy.

NSW Corrective Services Commissioner Ron Woodham said today Milat had been moved out of his cell and into a "safe cell" after threatening suicide yesterday.

"He said, 'You better put me in a safe cell', which means he was going to attempt to harm himself," Mr Woodham told Southern Cross Broadcasting.

"He threatened suicide yesterday.

"He does (threaten suicide) from time to time.

"Some of it is to get sympathy, but it's a fine line sometimes between an attempt and a successful suicide."

Milat is now under 24-hour surveillance by an officer monitoring him on closed circuit television.

"He'll be assessed by medical staff each day and we have a risk intervention team ... to see how long he stays in those conditions."

Mr Woodham said Milat was not generally a difficult prisoner to manage, but was a security risk.

"On a day to day basis, he's not difficult to manage at all," Mr Woodham said.

"He's a security risk if he's allowed to be put in a position where he could attempt to escape and that's my job to make sure he's never put in that position."

I would hope the officer monitoring him has quite a few coffee and toilet breaks.

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
Dyer'ere said:
Liverpool said:
More rubbish dished out by our legal system....just disgraceful!  :mad: :mad: :mad:
... he swallowed razor blades, staples and a chain from a set of nail clippers in an apparent suicide attempt.[/i]

So what's your plan for running the prisons Liverpool?

I know anyone who disagrees with you is soft or a "do-gooders" (you're so quick with the names) while those who agree with your simplistic insights are .... you tell me.

So how do you folk plan to manage the prisons?

Have you ever been to a prison? Talked about the management? What's the plan?

He got a toaster. Big deal.

He along with everyone else in a bloody prison for similar crimes should get nothing....BLOODY NOTHING!!! :mad:

This thing ( i and i use that term loosely) doesnt deserve anything but a hours daylight per day at the very most. For you to say "big deal he got a toaster" is just unbelievable. Go out and talk to the families involved, the families that have had their lives absolutely smashed to bits. This type of prisoner deserve NOTHING.