Justice? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Justice?

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I am finding it very hard to believe that laws such as this still exist in Australia in 2015!

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2015/04/05/murder-gay-victim-panics/

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Three cheers for the police who finally have their man in the Kylie Maybury case, it seems.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/kylie-maybury-6-was-murdered-on-a-family-errand-32-years-later-police-swoop-20160609-gpfny0.html

Can remember the shock this caused at the time. It preceded the mass shootings, Russell St, Walsh St, Sheree Beasley, Karmein Chan etc and might be viewed in hindsight as the point where Victoria lost its innocence. Several senior police have nominated the failure to solve the case as the biggest regret of their careers. It's troubled me anew since learning a couple of years ago that it concluded a short walk from where I now live.

Obviously a trial lies ahead, but those involved will be feeling a tremendous sense of accomplishment after 30+ years of persistence.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Three cheers for the police who finally have their man in the Kylie Maybury case, it seems.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/kylie-maybury-6-was-murdered-on-a-family-errand-32-years-later-police-swoop-20160609-gpfny0.html

Can remember the shock this caused at the time. It preceded the mass shootings, Russell St, Walsh St, Sheree Beasley, Karmein Chan etc and might be viewed in hindsight as the point where Victoria lost its innocence. Several senior police have nominated the failure to solve the case as the biggest regret of their careers. It's troubled me anew since learning a couple of years ago that it concluded a short walk from where I now live.

Obviously a trial lies ahead, but those involved will be feeling a tremendous sense of accomplishment after 30+ years of persistence.

There were other cases of murdered/missing children before this L2. The Eloise story in 1976 at Aspendale was one I distinctly remember as a kid.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
There were other cases of murdered/missing children before this L2. The Eloise story in 1976 at Aspendale was one I distinctly remember as a kid.

Can't say I've heard of that one.

Edit: Ah yeah, after looking it up I remember it vaguely. Gave me nightmares, used to think I heard footsteps on the front lawn. I would've been 7.

Never hear about it these days. Maybe they can have another look.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Can't say I've heard of that one.

This one scared me as a 10 year old: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Eloise_Worledge

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
TigerForce said:
This one scared me as a 10 year old: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Eloise_Worledge

I worked with her brother 20 years later. Cracking bloke; unfortunately got hit by a car and killed in 1997. Very sad; the trauma that family has been through...

I don't recall the Eloise kidnapping as I was a kid but my Mum remembers it vividly.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Pretty horrible stat on the state of indigenous incarceration from the 4Corners report on NT detention.

"Indigenous youths make up 96% of the young prison population in the Northern Territory, and Indigenous people are overwhelmingly represented in the NT prison system across the board. Indigenous people make up 30% of the overall population of the NT."

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
KnightersRevenge said:
Pretty horrible stat on the state of indigenous incarceration from the 4Corners report on NT detention.

"Indigenous youths make up 96% of the young prison population in the Northern Territory, and Indigenous people are overwhelmingly represented in the NT prison system across the board. Indigenous people make up 30% of the overall population of the NT."

The program was very hard to watch. 12 and 13 yo kids being stripped and beaten by teams of 3 and 4 UFC trained adult prison guards. 3 to 5 kids locked in 3 x 2m cells with no windows or water for weeks. It was harrowing and heartbreaking.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
scottyturnerscurse said:
Scullion should be the first to go.

He has looked amazingly out of touch and bewildered, hopeless. Credit to Turnbull for acting fast. Wait and see what happens. History says a story like this breaks, its in the papers for a while, then it all dies off and things go back to normal. I remain optimistic in spite of all that though.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
How about another 30 years scumbag!!

d19f8f9dad69a0ec4f0e5e70d26e14b1

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Seriously if that prick gets released that'll be it, put up the "closed" sign for this state.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Justice?

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/mother-who-admitted-killing-her-own-baby-walks-free/news-story/0417e06373704638a39bb69340e12782

Mother who admitted killing her own baby walks free
A MOTHER who pleaded guilty to killing her infant daughter walked free from court after being sentenced to a 12-month community corrections order.

news.com.auNOVEMBER 23, 201711:39AM
Video
Play VideoPlay
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
Fullscreen
CCTV captures Sofina Nikat walking to the park

A MOTHER who admitted suffocating her 15-month-old daughter before throwing her body into a suburban Melbourne creek will be released from custody.
Sofina Nikat, 24, was on Thursday sentenced to a 12-month community correction order after earlier pleading guilty to infanticide over the April 2016 death of her daughter Sanaya Sahib.
“In the unusual circumstances you have already served 529 days of pre-sentence custody,” Victorian Supreme Court Justice Lex Lasry said.
The Fijian-born woman was originally charged with murder but this was downgraded because she was depressed when she killed Sanaya.
Nikat took the child to a Heidelberg West park and played with her before suffocating her until she stopped moving.
She told police a barefoot man of African appearance who smelled of alcohol had snatched Sanaya from her pram.
A psychologist had found Nikat was suffering a depressive illness. Source: Supplied.
A psychologist had found Nikat was suffering a depressive illness. Source: Supplied.Source:Supplied
The girl’s body was found in a creek, and Nikat admitted what she did three days after the killing.
The young mum had an arranged marriage with Sanaya’s father and the pair separated during her pregnancy.
She and Sanaya had been living in women’s refuges in the months before the killing.
At an earlier hearing, Nikat’s defence lawyer asked Justice Lex Lasry to consider a community corrections order.
A psychologist had found Nikat was suffering a depressive illness as a result of giving birth to Sanaya in January 2015.
But prosecutors wanted her jailed. The maximum penalty for infanticide is five years’ imprisonment.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
What a joke of a justice system we have. Who are these people that make these decisions?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Speaking on the family's behalf, Sanaya's aunt, Zahraa Sahib, said they were disappointed and upset by the outcome. "We had no justice for her death," she said outside court.

The contentious point is whether a depressive illness serious enough to compel someone to kill, also explains the maintenance of a fabricated story to police for three days.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Some further explanation of the definition of infanticide:

UNDER Victorian law, infanticide is a crime that can only be committed by women.

Legally it involves the death of a child under the age of 2 at the hands of a mother whose mental balance is disturbed because she has failed to fully recover from the birth.

It can also apply where the mother is suffering a disorder consequent on her giving birth to that child.

While murder carries a maximum term of life imprisonment, infanticide has a five-year maximum.

But it is believed no Victorian woman has ever been jailed for admitting a single count of infanticide.

Sentences have ranged from good behaviour bonds to lengthy community corrections orders.

One woman who killed her newborn with a single blow was freed and wished well by a Supreme Court judge who said more needed to be done to support new mums.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The contentious point is whether a depressive illness serious enough to compel someone to kill, also explains the maintenance of a fabricated story to police for three days.

Fair point

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
I'll stir the pot because this is just disgusting.

If she's going to blame mental illness for this, then she should be placed in a psychiatric facility.

LRTR -I have suffered from depression and not once did I ever feel any compulsion to hurt others. I'll more than likely put an end to myself one of these days but I wouldn't dream of hurting someone else. In my experience, depression does not cause a person to lash out at others, it causes the person to lash out at themselves. In my opinion, people who have a compulsion to hurt others have something else wrong inside their heads, maybe in conjunction with depression but I highly doubt depression by itself was the sole reason for her actions. Exactly the reason for her to be placed in a psychiatric facility. So she can be treated for the mental illnesses she claims to have.

And sorry Rosy but there's no ' Poor Sofina' about it. If it was the father who had killed his baby child, people would be calling for his head and he'd be facing a lengthy prison sentence, mental illness or no mental illness. But since it's the mother, it's okay. No harm done. Off ya go. She'll be right. I wonder what Rosie Battie has to say about this. The silence from that camp is deafening. But according to the domestic violence mob, children who are the victims of domestic violence perpetrated by mothers don't matter. They don't deserve the same rights and protection as other child victims of domestic violence.

Tigertim, 'infanticide' laws like that are a joke. A 'get out of jail' card for women who kill their babies. The lack of protection and justice for the most vulnerable members of our society is shameful.

:mad:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
rosy3 said:
Poor Sanaya. Poor Sofina. What a tragic situation. Heartbreaking.

Exactly. Awfully sad, post natal depression is very real.