Kamdyn McIntosh | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kamdyn McIntosh

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yeah I never really thought of Brando as a space invader, Like Kmac.

I had a bit of a blind spot, probably cause he didnt shove blokes.

But he was. Brando was a space invader.

He'll need to be more for GC to get their moneys worth, and I think he will be.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Ellis brought his strengths (running, big tank, cutting off opposition options etc) to his role on the wing. We bring another player in to that position the role changes slightly to suit the strengths of whoever ends up on the wing. Caddy brings a different set of skills (yep, he can run, but one thing I always notice with Caddy is how much he is in the face of the opposition) and plays the position differently. Yes, you need the player to be able to play the particular position, but each player does it a bit differently.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Ellis brought his strengths (running, big tank, cutting off opposition options etc) to his role on the wing. We bring another player in to that position the role changes slightly to suit the strengths of whoever ends up on the wing. Caddy brings a different set of skills (yep, he can run, but one thing I always notice with Caddy is how much he is in the face of the opposition) and plays the position differently. Yes, you need the player to be able to play the particular position, but each player does it a bit differently.

DS

Well argued David, but the way we play, committing blokes forward of the contest seconds before we’ve won it, means other blokes need to run super hard to fill defensive holes. You often need to make long runs again and again just to reach that fat side and prevent the counter switch.

folks thinking the Ellis case was a simple matter of us telling him he was surplus is plain wrong. Ellis knew how valuable he was to Dimma and co, hence his shock. Hence his certain inclusion in the premiership team.

the decision was a list management one and the right one. We as a club are in the unique position of letting blokes fulfil their market potential without rancor or bitterness. other clubs might’ve insisted on a pay cut or been spooked into paying market rate and losing someone younger and with more long term potential.

we knew we had to let him go, but in a perfect world he stays. The guy just got another medal, FFS. Not like he was languishing in the VFL.

with 666 potentially looming as a constant setup during games, the Ellis role will be even more critical. Those spaces on the wings will only get bigger and you need the right bodies (and lungs) in there.

people raise caddy as a counter argument but he is a thin side winger. Big bodied, great aerialist, likes contact and traffic.

if you look at our list, guys like Naish leap out as potential fat side wingers, the kind our system relies on. Whether he ends up with the tank and application Ellis had is another matter. But he looks to fit the mold so far. He’ll get a clutch of games. Doesn’t need to breakout just yet.

I agree a flexible, adaptable list is a good thing.

but the requirements of that fat side role ain’t gonna change.

Last edited:

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Disposal wise, Ellis's last 4 games were in his worst 6 or 7 games of the year. Grand final was the lowest. Had just 2 and 1 contested possies in two of the last 3 games. Sure that's not what it's all about but he's replaceable by someone who may have a little less running capacity but better decision-making and disposal skills. Caddy proved that with his smarts. Ellis isn't a bad player, he starts top 22 in most teams but clearly the Tigers saw that there are alternatives in prospective youngsters looking forward and I agree. Not quite ready in 2019 but 2020 imo was always going to be a pressure season for Ellis to maintain his spot. At the salary and timeframe he was being offered it was a pretty black and white decision I think.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Jazz was wrong.

rioli - no. Dimma is on record as saying he prefers Dan on the forward flank.

pickett -a natural born rover. Wasted as a link man and defensive runner.

Houli - far, far better behind the ball running in straight lines. We need him down back.

short - see Houli. Does not like to run back with flight. Not suited to long two way running.

balta - will be groomed as a key position back to take load off Astbury and grub.

stack - best 22, and my gut feel is he will replace baker (who’s been awesome)

KMac was in line for the Ellis spot. Now he’s down, guys like Naish will be given an opportunity to shine in the role.

we don’t shoehorn guys where they don’t quite fit. We play them to their strengths.
You forgot Naish or even Turner. They have done their apprenticeship in the twos playing on a wing.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Baron Samedi, I agree that Ellis' running is essential in the game plan and I do think, as Big Richo says, that some don't see how important that running into space is.

I think we're seeing how difficult it can be balancing the salary cap/list management with the game plan and players available. I reckon we would like to have kept Ellis (as evidenced by playing him in the GF) but from a list management perspective we just couldn't fit him in at the price he can command. For another club, especially a club like Gold Coast, his experience in how a good system works will be invaluable.

I agree Caddy is a different winger and 2 playing his role changes the game plan too much.

I think we can cover Ellis, but we also don't really have a choice, his value is more than we could afford in the context of the whole list. We might have to tweak some of the system as a result but you constantly evolve or get left behind.

Good luck to Ellis, he has been a valuable contributor, sometimes frustrating, but I reckon he will do well and this should set him up for life and help out his family.

DS

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Disposal wise, Ellis's last 4 games were in his worst 6 or 7 games of the year. Grand final was the lowest. Had just 2 and 1 contested possies in two of the last 3 games. Sure that's not what it's all about but he's replaceable by someone who may have a little less running capacity but better decision-making and disposal skills. Caddy proved that with his smarts. Ellis isn't a bad player, he starts top 22 in most teams but clearly the Tigers saw that there are alternatives in prospective youngsters looking forward and I agree. Not quite ready in 2019 but 2020 imo was always going to be a pressure season for Ellis to maintain his spot. At the salary and timeframe he was being offered it was a pretty black and white decision I think.

In general I agree with you.

I just wanted to highlight the defensive running, which is both elite and unheralded by the public at large.

Reactions: 5 users

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Baron Samedi, I agree that Ellis' running is essential in the game plan and I do think, as Big Richo says, that some don't see how important that running into space is.

I think we're seeing how difficult it can be balancing the salary cap/list management with the game plan and players available. I reckon we would like to have kept Ellis (as evidenced by playing him in the GF) but from a list management perspective we just couldn't fit him in at the price he can command. For another club, especially a club like Gold Coast, his experience in how a good system works will be invaluable.

I agree Caddy is a different winger and 2 playing his role changes the game plan too much.

I think we can cover Ellis, but we also don't really have a choice, his value is more than we could afford in the context of the whole list. We might have to tweak some of the system as a result but you constantly evolve or get left behind.

Good luck to Ellis, he has been a valuable contributor, sometimes frustrating, but I reckon he will do well and this should set him up for life and help out his family.

DS

well said.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
lambert is my pick to take the spot of ellis….

Could be on the money there. He regularly ran the most distance in games for the Tigers and he has pretty good disposal skills. Height is probably the only issue against maybe some taller wingmen.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
We need to forget about Caddy in the conversation re the role Ellis played, it's like comparing Broad and Houli as half backs.

There a few that were very suspect about Caddy making it as a wingman due to the perception of what is required to be a wingman. I think what Caddy showed is you can think outside the square, tweak your game plan a bit and make something different out of a position. It's imo what has made the Tigers such an invincible team, the ability to do things not quite the considered normal.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Plenty of confidence that this club will find a replacement for Bellis. If it means putting someone in with different traits that we can exploit in a new way, we will. Expect the unexpected from this footy team, trying to predict their moves is like winning Powerball. At best you'll get a couple of numbers right, but getting them all right is near impossible

Reactions: 1 user

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
There a few that were very suspect about Caddy making it as a wingman due to the perception of what is required to be a wingman. I think what Caddy showed is you can think outside the square, tweak your game plan a bit and make something different out of a position. It's imo what has made the Tigers such an invincible team, the ability to do things not quite the considered normal.
I saw Cads in Richmond on Sunday morning and he has really slimmed down, no doubt to improve his running capacity.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yep, Cadds wound up playing the KMac wing role, with a hint more evil thrown in. Bobble's an entirely different wing type to replace, expecting kids like Naish, Turner, Lego, English n perhaps Lamblett to all be vying for a look.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

I think Caddy's running when on a wing is underestimated. Posters make it seem Brando was running both wings whilst Caddy was bludging!

Ellis will not be missed. It will be similar to K-Mac not being missed. K-Mac was essentially replaced by a better/more valuable player, so it will be with Ellis.

I think we were better in 2019 than 2017 and we will be better again in 2020.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
None of those kids will play if we don't have injuries. Too much depth.
Yep, we've got plenty of depth, just not sure who else might take the two way running wing role for this year. Bash? Shorty? might get nudged up the ground though I'd prefer Bash on the long sweep off the back line. Really don't want to mess around with our mids to forwards structure n rotations as this has been working superbly for us over the last few years.
Guess we'll just have to wait n see what the match committee has in mind over the practice games.

Reactions: 1 users