Kamdyn McIntosh | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kamdyn McIntosh

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Fox have a camera crew that run onto the ground after each goal this season.

you are *smile* kidding!!!!

the AFL must have rewritten the rules about entering the field of play.

its one of the most crucial rules of the game, along with thou shall not touch an umpire,

because it prevents nutcases entering the field of play.

Im going to look into this. where does it go next? Fox have a camera team in the centre square? parents in junior matches wander onto the ground for a photo while little Johnny Ines up for a goal?

taboos are usually taboos for a good reason,

and anyone other than umpires and players and designated team officials entering the field of play,

is a taboo

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
you are *smile* kidding!!!!

the AFL must have rewritten the rules about entering the field of play.

its one of the most crucial rules of the game, along with thou shall not touch an umpire,

because it prevents nutcases entering the field of play.

Im going to look into this. where does it go next? Fox have a camera team in the centre square? parents in junior matches wander onto the ground for a photo while little Johnny Ines up for a goal?

taboos are usually taboos for a good reason,

and anyone other than umpires and players and designated team officials entering the field of play,

is a taboo
Made possible, in part, by extending the time before the bounce to 50 seconds

Only Fox though, not 7.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

Next thing they'll have a camera and microphone in the face of a player kicking for goal asking him about his kicking technique and thought processes.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
FYI

Dear AFL,

I have been an AFL participant and viewer for nearly 50 years.

It came to my attention on the weekend, watching the coverage of Sydney V Richmond,

That a camera crew (Fox?) apparently entered the field of play after a Sydney goal,

And broadcast a close up of a Sydney goal celebration.

Over all the years in my participation in the game as a player, coach and viewer, I always understood that anyone other than Players, Umpires and the participating teams runners

Entering the field of play, was a serious offence, for good reason ( to both protect and not obstruct players and umpires)

The Laws of Australian Football state,
6. TEAM OFFICIALS AND TEAM RUNNER
  1. 6.1 CONTROLLING BODY TO REGULATE
    A Controlling Body shall adopt rules which:
    1. (a) specify the times and occasions when an Official and Team Runner may enter the Playing Surface; and
    2. (b) identify the tasks or duties which such persons may perform when on the Playing Surface.

Under those same rules, does a camera crew constitute an Official or a Team Runner?

Official: includes but is not limited to an officer, coach, assistant coach, trainer, runner, employee or any person performing any duties (paid or unpaid) for or on behalf of a Club or Team.

Can you please confirm

1. If this occurred?,
2. If it breached The AFL Laws of Australian Football?

Your sincerely,

EZY

Reactions: 2 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
wow that is amazing !

in my time at the club the AFL wanted to reduce the number of staff on the ground ( trainers , runners and docs/physios)
we would even be picked up if we got off the ground slowly ( the game at the dome against the cats when they kicked almost 30 goals to half time comes to mind)
Foxtel put cameras on the caps of the goal umpires, and even the now gone head trainer matt pierce, it didnt work with him because he bobbles his head like Mike Sheahan lol
i guess if you throw enough money at the AFL you can get anything

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I was at the ground. There are definitely suspension wires with motor driven cameras on them on the MCC side of the ground. My daughter noticed them. I haven’t watched the replay but these cameras could definitely get pretty close to some of the action and look like you are right in it. If the footage showed cameramen on the ground then that is something else.
Don't they use that motorised suspension camera for the cricket matches. Raise it up out of the way during play, but they can drop it right down n use it for interviews during stoppages in play.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Don't they use that motorised suspension camera for the cricket matches. Raise it up out of the way during play, but they can drop it right down n use it for interviews during stoppages in play.

It's been used at the footy for a few years now too. I can remember it in 2019

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Yeah, typical of AFL Rules they are open to interpretation.

I do think they will eventually be forced into doing something like citing every incident when a player gets knocked out. With the info coming out about Polly Farmer, Tuck, Frawley etc they have to do something. The advantage of a rule where someone knocked out means it gets looked at later is that it is more clear cut. What would also need to happen is an attitude change where a player who gets cited and the tribunal finds the incident was a genuine accident doesn't lose their reputation. Tricky issue in Australian Rules, it is fast and 360 degrees so there will be accidents. Rampe played the ball, but concussion is a big issue and a difficult issue in our game, so we need to be dealing with this or the game may really get to the point where bumping is outlawed.

DS
Great idea and entirely appropriate.

Under present arrangements Hocking receives a recommendation from Christian and then makes the decision about who is fined or suspended, or reported on to the tribunal.
The game is as fast as it has ever been and most players are going after a possession with more speed and strength than has been the case in the past.

The system for deciding who gets a pass is unsatisfactory perhaps in part because there is such a fine line in determining intent.
A tribunal that starts with its focus on the victim and the injury sustained is much more likely to reach consistent results than is achieved under the present system.

Last edited:

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Missed his big body and gut running tonight. Such a crucial player to how we play.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Hopefully he’s feeling back to normal and will be right to go next week , was a KMac kind of game tonight

Reactions: 1 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Welcome back Kapsy/Kmac/Grover/Pinjarra/ArmFlappingMCGWingPatroller.
Hopefully passes concussion protocols.
And when they get you to read the scoreboard don't say Richmond is 3 wickets down for 333. :))

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

backpocketplumber

Tiger Rookie
May 19, 2014
Thought he built into the game. No surprise the Aints couldn’t escape our forward zone with super Grover back in the team. Another of the plumbers favourites.

Reactions: 3 users