Kane Cornes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane Cornes

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
It was clearly the rule of the game, but it went both ways. If Port were too stupid to work out how the game was being umpired that’s their problem.

Yep safest bet is to just Not put it out at all ,

The interpretation is always going to be a can of worms when they are asked to rule on what players are attempting to do

Seeing players miss easy shots at goal is enough evidence that the outcome isn’t necessarily what they are trying to do

Reactions: 1 user

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
It was clearly deliberate, unlike Bolton's errant handball whilst being slung and one of our rebound kicks off the side of the boot which were Port frees

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Kane's an odd one, but he emphatically tipped Richmond to win this week.

• Wow

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
It was clearly deliberate, unlike Bolton's errant handball whilst being slung and one of our rebound kicks off the side of the boot which were Port frees

Cornes picks and chooses what rules and decisions suit him.

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I don't give a *smile* if the whole 22 + Hinkley were in the vicinity. That's not the rule.

BTW the free kick was paid by our old mate Curtis Deboy.
Old mate Deboy all right. o_O

At least they were consistent with that rule on Friday night.

What I found strange was how the second prelim was umpired so differently and what does that mean for the grannie.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Kane's an odd one, but he emphatically tipped Richmond to win this week.

We broke him.

Now he wants Richmond to win the flag so he can say the umpires robbed Port of a premiership.

He’s even written his post-GF article already! A friend of mine saw it and shared a preview with me...

“We were one wrong umpiring decision away from a perfect season. It’s a disgrace. How can we expect the umpires to know a player’s intent?”

“We didn’t get what we deserved, and that’s the problem”.

By sheer coincidence, the leaked document also reveals he’s planning to spend all summer campaigning for an unrelated rule change:

“I am a campaigner for the following rule change: replace the “deliberate” out of bounds rule with the SANFL’s “last touch” rule - that way we remove all subjective bias from the game. In the future, other teams will therefore be less likely to experience the pain of being robbed of a premiership by the umpires like Port Adelaide”

You heard it here first!

Last edited:

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Most obvious OOB decision of the night. Possibly for the year.
Clearly a free kick, and only someone biased or who doesn't know the rules would think otherwise. If it happened at the 13 minutes mark in the 1st quarter of R3, it would be forgotten 10 seconds after it happened.

Some of the headlines from Murdoch sites where unbelievable:

‘No idea by the umpire’: Deliberate decision lashed as ’farce’ free kick proves costly'
'Worst umpiring decision of the year'
'AFL has ‘lost the plot’ over confusing rule ‘farce’'

Rather than b!tch and moan about the free, why isn't the heat on experienced Hamish Hartlett who was a absolute panic merchant at a crucial time?

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Clearly a free kick, and only someone biased or who doesn't know the rules would think otherwise. If it happened at the 13 minutes mark in the 1st quarter of R3, it would be forgotten 10 seconds after it happened.

Some of the headlines from Murdoch sites where unbelievable:

‘No idea by the umpire’: Deliberate decision lashed as ’farce’ free kick proves costly'
'Worst umpiring decision of the year'
'AFL has ‘lost the plot’ over confusing rule ‘farce’'

Rather than b!tch and moan about the free, why isn't the heat on experienced Hamish Hartlett who was a absolute panic merchant at a crucial time?
Yep. And don’t forget Hartlett also butchered that inside 50 entry after that 50m penalty from Rioli.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
if it wasn't deliberate it was a throw anyway. Double handed open palm scoop.

Reactions: 7 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yep. And don’t forget Hartlett also butchered that inside 50 entry after that 50m penalty from Rioli.

Pretty sure he butchered an inside 50 too when he was collected high by Todd Marshall and got a free for it. Kicked it straight to Nank in the pocket I think.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
As a Lions supporter mate of mine said to me during their Threepeat years, "Winners are Grinners Losers can Kiss My Squizzer"

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
With the way the game was going for deliberates, there was only 1 way that was going to be paid and that was deliberate. In another game, possibly isn't paid, but looking at consistency it was the only way it could be paid bearing in mind that they had paid deliberates against Prestia and Bolton that were way harsher than the one against Hartlett.
The only one against us that I thought was clear-cut was early against Astbury (?) where he kicked directly across the ground. The one against Short was debatable, he kicked a banana with two Richmond players "in the vicinity" but if the game was in an ideal state, it wouldn't be penalised. There was a similar one against Port in the second quarter that was borderline. Port were happy to take them all night but not so keen when their turn came.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
There was deliberate kick to the boundary in the dying minutes of the game from port. Hodge pipes up “you can’t pay them with only a few minutes left”
Why not? Been paying them all game.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
There was deliberate kick to the boundary in the dying minutes of the game from port. Hodge pipes up “you can’t pay them with only a few minutes left”
Why not? Been paying them all game.

Yep was identical to the Prestia one that was paid, doesn't matter whether its minute 1 or the last minute, you pay whats there.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Yep was identical to the Prestia one that was paid, doesn't matter whether its minute 1 or the last minute, you pay whats there.
That’s why I’m adamant the game was really well umpired , the interpretation was consistent, it would have been farcical to neglect the HH one

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Y
I loved Hodge as a player but his ‘special’ commentary on Channel 7 has been ...underwhelming.
yeah I don't quite get the wraps either. He loves to use "yous" and drops the g off "ing" words. Like many his biases start to come through when the pressure is on.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I loved Hodge as a player but his ‘special’ commentary on Channel 7 has been ...underwhelming.
There is no auditioning for special comments role, 7 tend to just go for the latest retired great. only find out on the job that they are good or not. Tom Harley was a classic dud, like Hodhe retired premirship captain. At risk of blasphemy I don't think Cotch would be any good either, not that he seems like a bloke with any interest in going into media.