Kane Cornes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane Cornes

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The Dees and the Lions have been the beneficiaries of the Hawks ripping the heart and soul out of the club when they showed Hodge and Lewis the door.
It was a massive mistake by Clarkson, Hodge and Lewis made the Lions and the Dees much better with their experience and guidance.
If the Chimp retired last year, I bet Kingsley and other coaches would've been doing all they could to get him go around again this year.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
If the Chimp retired last year, I bet Kingsley and other coaches would've been doing all they could to get him go around again this year.

I wouldn't rule out the happening next year with the likes of Cotchin and Riewoldt still.

Things tend to be trendy in footy and successful players doing a swan song at another side is hot at the moment. GWS will be rebuilding so the Kingsley connection will be there for leadership say as a stepping stone to a coaching job for Cotchin, you've got another connection in McRae at Collingwood who might feel they are contending but light on key forwards so Riewoldt for a year would be perfect, or you've got Clarkson at North who started the trend way back with Stuart Dew.

Or my personal favourite:

'Geelong today announced they will offer contracts to two Richmond superstars next season as they go all out in seeking a third consecutive premiership in 2024.'
'Three-time premiership coach Chris Scott said the club felt out of contract free agents Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin could play an important role in the quest for the rare achievement of a three-peat.'
"They are quality players and quality people and will help make us better," he said, adding they were ideal replacements following the premiership podium retirement of Tom Hawkins and Joel Selwood the season before, "just not quite as good".'
Scott, who will rank amongst the very best coaches of all time with a third consecutive premiership, refused to comment on rumours the club will also seek to trade for Richmond legend Dustin Martin, as the Tigers seek some salary cap relief to rebuild their list after a disastrous season which saw them finish 12th and coach Damien Hardwick depart for Port Adelaide. Martin is rumoured to have taken a liking to the quieter Geelong lifestyle and was recently seen emerging from the surf at Moggs Creek alongside Premiership Captain Patrick Dangerfield. '

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I'll show myself out.:ban

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I wouldn't rule out the happening next year with the likes of Cotchin and Riewoldt still.

Things tend to be trendy in footy and successful players doing a swan song at another side is hot at the moment. GWS will be rebuilding so the Kingsley connection will be there for leadership say as a stepping stone to a coaching job for Cotchin, you've got another connection in McRae at Collingwood who might feel they are contending but light on key forwards so Riewoldt for a year would be perfect, or you've got Clarkson at North who started the trend way back with Stuart Dew.

Or my personal favourite:

'Geelong today announced they will offer contracts to two Richmond superstars next season as they go all out in seeking a third consecutive premiership in 2024.'
'Three-time premiership coach Chris Scott said the club felt out of contract free agents Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin could play an important role in the quest for the rare achievement of a three-peat.'
"They are quality players and quality people and will help make us better," he said, adding they were ideal replacements following the premiership podium retirement of Tom Hawkins and Joel Selwood the season before, "just not quite as good".'
Scott, who will rank amongst the very best coaches of all time with a third consecutive premiership, refused to comment on rumours the club will also seek to trade for Richmond legend Dustin Martin, as the Tigers seek some salary cap relief to rebuild their list after a disastrous season which saw them finish 12th and coach Damien Hardwick depart for Port Adelaide. Martin is rumoured to have taken a liking to the quieter Geelong lifestyle and was recently seen emerging from the surf at Moggs Creek alongside Premiership Captain Patrick Dangerfield. '

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I'll show myself out.:ban
1678531744568.jpeg

:eek::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Let's start with Trent Cotchin, the supposed "leader" of the Richmond Football Club. It's time to face the facts - Cotchin has been an absolute liability for the Tigers this season. His lack of form and poor decision-making have been major contributing factors to their downfall.

Compare that to Port Power, who have been absolutely dominant in the AFL this season. Led by their inspirational captain, Tom Jonas, Port Power have shown the kind of form and leadership that Cotchin can only dream of.

Jonas has been a rock for Port Power this season, consistently putting his body on the line and leading by example. His work rate and defensive efforts have been second to none, and he's been instrumental in guiding his team to the top of the ladder.

And it's not just Jonas - the whole Port Power team has been firing on all cylinders. Their midfield is the envy of the league, with Ollie Wines and Travis Boak leading the way. Their forward line is lethal, with Charlie Dixon and Robbie Gray terrorizing defenses week in, week out.

In short, while Cotchin and the Tigers are floundering, Port Power are a force to be reckoned with. They're the team to beat this season, and with players like Jonas leading the way, it's no surprise why.

(Man, chatGPT nails it again)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
the issue isnt that Cornes wrote it, tho i am sure it helps fire people up, it is that what he is saying is either wrong, such as how many top30 picks we had in 2021, lazy, such as comparing our strategy to the hawks when they are vastly different, or an opinion dressed as fact- such as his view on Cotchin.
Yes, everything could fall apart for us this year, but the same could be said for any club.

it is a rubbish article for someone who I assume was paid to write it.
Now we wait for his article on Port.
A club so focused on its past, it has done Jack shiit for 15 years
Always remember Cornes was on the ground when they lost by 15+ goals against Geelong in the 2007 GF. It was nice to see

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
The Dees and the Lions have been the beneficiaries of the Hawks ripping the heart and soul out of the club when they showed Hodge and Lewis the door.
It was a massive mistake by Clarkson, Hodge and Lewis made the Lions and the Dees much better with their experience and guidance.
Cotchin would be hot property..100%
When superstars like Toby Greene are catching up with him for advise. You know how much respect he has in the game.
Not like that tosser from Geelong, no club wanted him and now he reads out the Bingo numbers at Geelong's RSL.
Cotchin is 100% hall of fame

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Cotchin would be hot property..100%
When superstars like Toby Greene are catching up with him for advise. You know how much respect he has in the game.
Not like that tosser from Geelong, no club wanted him and now he reads out the Bingo numbers at Geelong's RSL.
Cotchin is 100% hall of fame
But…but…Dylan Shiel.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I reckon it is pretty hard to judge the impact guys like that have.
The 2 years before Lewis, arrived the Dees won 7 then 10 games. In his first year they won 12, then 14. In his last year they won 5. then after he left they won 9 in 2020 (equivalent of 12.5/13 wins.) then in 2021 they won the premiership.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I reckon it is pretty hard to judge the impact guys like that have.
The 2 years before Lewis, arrived the Dees won 7 then 10 games. In his first year they won 12, then 14. In his last year they won 5. then after he left they won 9 in 2020 (equivalent of 12.5/13 wins.) then in 2021 they won the premiership.
It's all subjective, i'm sure the impact was a positive one. The year before Hodge went to the Lions they won 5 games, his 2nd year there they won 16.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
There's a lot of playing the man and not the ball here and dismissing the opinion because of who said it which is a shame for the sake of debate.

I get that Cornes is from the Hutchy school of journalism which is to be deliberately incendiary and that pushes buttons, but I also wonder whether the response is an element of being a bit uneasy that there's a chance he is right.

In preseason @bullus_hit wrote some of the most insightful posts I've seen. As I said at the time I've sat in some actual list management meetings and the quality of the discussion was no different. In my much less eloquent summary, BH's position was we should be addressing the issues with our game to keep us in contention without sacrificing so heavily at the draft.

Address clearances with a player like Tom Mitchell and by strengthening the ruck division with Brodie Grundy, both a much cheaper trade costs, and then still be able to access quality picks.

After reading those insights it was the first time I felt uneasy about the direction we were taking and after seeing how prophetic BH's opinions were around Grundy and Gawn vs us (albeit in one scratch match), I'm slightly more uneasy now. Go back and read the trade thread if you don't believe me, what he said is absolutely spot on in every detail. (again from one scratchy) Not panicking by any means but certainly a little worried.

So while Cornes' style may be flamboyant and he might use haymakers instead of jabs when making a point, to dismiss the crux of what he is saying as being personally based or as a result of some other agenda is too simplistic, because at least one highly intelligent and very measured deep thinker about the game share some of those concerns.
As much as I despise Cornes for his hand grenade attention seeking, I think he lays out the risks and acknowledges that we've gone down a similar path to previous dynasties, most of which have middled out for a time and then finally decided to bottom out in the truest sense of the word. I even think it would have been acceptable to grab one of Taranto or Hopper, that's a reasonable compromise, but at the moment we've potentially put up a top 5 pick for a guy who is coming back from injury and would have been a free agent next year. That's high roller behaviour however you cut it. I don't buy into the line these seven year deals will benefit the club in the long run, they may help us avoid a wooden spoon, that is entirely plausible but also counter intuitive in some ways. Our stars are on the decline, we're bereft of quality talls and Dusty will be playing his swansong season. Beyond that we're hamstrung for draft picks & I daresay a repeat of 2021 will push us back in the queue when it comes to free agency. The stakes couldn't be higher this year, the 2023 draft is also looking like a bumper crop, genuine A list talent, it will be a bitter pill to swallow if we don't finish top 4.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
As much as I despise Cornes for his hand grenade attention seeking, I think he lays out the risks and acknowledges that we've gone down a similar path to previous dynasties, most of which have middled out for a time and then finally decided to bottom out in the truest sense of the word. I even think it would have been acceptable to grab one of Taranto or Hopper, that's a reasonable compromise, but at the moment we've potentially put up a top 5 pick for a guy who is coming back from injury and would have been a free agent next year. That's high roller behaviour however you cut it. I don't buy into the line these seven year deals will benefit the club in the long run, they may help us avoid a wooden spoon, that is entirely plausible but also counter intuitive in some ways. Our stars are on the decline, we're bereft of quality talls and Dusty will be playing his swansong season. Beyond that we're hamstrung for draft picks & I daresay a repeat of 2021 will push us back in the queue when it comes to free agency. The stakes couldn't be higher this year, the 2023 draft is also looking like a bumper crop, genuine A list talent, it will be a bitter pill to swallow if we don't finish top 4.
'Potentially put up a top 5 pick"
We won't finish below 8th.
Even with a shitt/average year we will finish in the 8.
There are sides sooo shittt this year they will be lucky to win 5 games. WC, Nth, Essendon, Hawthorn Even Gc.
I agree we haven't got any quality Talls coming through.
We used to be the best in bringing good Talls. Not anymore.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The link with Hawthorn and Geelong isn't on the individual steps, it's the philosophy. For a long time the accepted wisdom has been once your group peaks you cut the list and go to the draft to rebuild your core. Let's call that bus route A.
The Hawks took 2 1st rd picks in 8 years, and 5 2nd rd picks. by next years draft we will have taken 5 1st rd picks and another 10 2nd rd picks in an 8 year period. our philosophy has been very different to the hawks.

for years the hawks decided they were best placed trading out of the draft and bringing in established talent. we have continued to go the draft as we continue to win premierships.

Reactions: 3 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
'Potentially put up a top 5 pick"
We won't finish below 8th.
Even with a shitt/average year we will finish in the 8.
There are sides sooo shittt this year they will be lucky to win 5 games. WC, Nth, Essendon, Hawthorn Even Gc.
I agree we haven't got any quality Talls coming through.
We used to be the best in bringing good Talls. Not anymore.
A few more injuries might see a 2021 freefall, let's wait and see but I only count West Coast, Hawthorn & North as the easy beats this year.

Reactions: 1 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
The Hawks took 2 1st rd picks in 8 years, and 5 2nd rd picks. by next years draft we will have taken 5 1st rd picks and another 10 2nd rd picks in an 8 year period. our philosophy has been very different to the hawks.

for years the hawks decided they were best placed trading out of the draft and bringing in established talent. we have continued to go the draft as we continue to win premierships.
Yep. It's a numbers game at heart. Who's Hawthorn's Bolton?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
A few more injuries might see a 2021 freefall, let's wait and see but I only count West Coast, Hawthorn & North as the easy beats this year.
Or a season slightly better than last year could have seen whoever we would have picked with pick 12(?) have no impact, while we lose a final deep in September due to a struggling midfield.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Or a season slightly better than last year could have seen whoever we would have picked with pick 12(?) have no impact, while we lose a final deep in September due to a struggling midfield.
Tom Mitchell went for two third rounders, his output will rival that of Taranto's, Brodie Grundy went for a late second rounder. If we're playing the future trading game then throw up a future second. Meanwhile we add players like Hewett & Cowan to the list with next year's first still in the bank. That would have been future proofing in the event we stumble a bit due to injury or whatever. At the moment I feel we've put all the eggs into the 2023 basket, next year Dusty leaves the building, Jack retires & Cotch calls it a day. Those absentees tip us out of top 4 contention, that is why this is an extreme exercise in front loading.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Tom Mitchell went for two third rounders, his output will rival that of Taranto's, Brodie Grundy went for a late second rounder. If we're playing the future trading game then throw up a future second. Meanwhile we add players like Hewett & Cowan to the list with next year's first still in the bank. That would have been future proofing in the event we stumble a bit due to injury or whatever. At the moment I feel we've put all the eggs into the 2023 basket, next year Dusty leaves the building, Jack retires & Cotch calls it a day. Those absentees tip us out of top 4 contention, that is why this is an extreme exercise in front loading.
I was all for Tom Mitchell a few years ago. I think I started a thread. But I disagree with ‘his output will rival that of Taranto’s’..
It’s not heading that way this year but let’s see

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I was all for Tom Mitchell a few years ago. I think I started a thread. But I disagree with ‘his output will rival that of Taranto’s’..
It’s not heading that way this year but let’s see
I would be surprised if the clearances and contested ball were radically different, Taranto probably exerts more scoreboard influence but not so much that it warrants 2 first rounders versus two third rounders.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
I would be surprised if the clearances and contested ball were radically different, Taranto probably exerts more scoreboard influence but not so much that it warrants 2 first rounders versus two third rounders.
Isn’t the age difference the obvious, or am I missing something?

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
SAID HANRAHAN

"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,In accents most forlorn,Outside the church, ere Mass began,One frosty Sunday morn.The congregation stood about,Coat-collars to the ears,And talked of stock, and crops, and drought,As it had done for years."It's lookin' crook," said Daniel Croke;"Bedad, it's cruke, me lad,For never since the banks went brokeHas seasons been so bad.""It's dry, all right," said young O'Neil,With which astute remarkHe squatted down upon his heelAnd chewed a piece of bark.And so around the chorus ran"It's keepin' dry, no doubt.""We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"Before the year is out."The crops are done; ye'll have your workTo save one bag of grain;From here way out to Back-o'-BourkeThey're singin' out for rain."They're singin' out for rain," he said,"And all the tanks are dry."The congregation scratched its head,And gazed around the sky."There won't be grass, in any case,Enough to feed an ass;There's not a blade on Casey's placeAs I came down to Mass.""If rain don't come this month," said Dan,And cleared his throat to speak--"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"If rain don't come this week."A heavy silence seemed to stealOn all at this remark;And each man squatted on his heel,And chewed a piece of bark."We want a inch of rain, we do,"O'Neil observed at last;But Croke "maintained" we wanted twoTo put the danger past."If we don't get three inches, man,Or four to break this drought,We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"Before the year is out."In God's good time down came the rain;And all the afternoonOn iron roof and window-paneIt drummed a homely tune.And through the night it pattered still,And lightsome, gladsome elvesOn dripping spout and window-sillKept talking to themselves.It pelted, pelted all day long,A-singing at its work,Till every heart took up the songWay out to Back-o'Bourke.And every creek a banker ran,And dams filled overtop;"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"If this rain doesn't stop."And stop it did, in God's good time;And spring came in to foldA mantle o'er the hills sublimeOf green and pink and gold.And days went by on dancing feet,With harvest-hopes immense,And laughing eyes beheld the wheatNid-nodding o'er the fence.And, oh, the smiles on every face,As happy lad and lassThrough grass knee-deep on Casey's placeWent riding down to Mass.While round the church in clothes genteelDiscoursed the men of mark,And each man squatted on his heel,And chewed his piece of bark."There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man,There will, without a doubt;We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"Before the year is out."
John O'Brien

Reactions: 4 users