Kevin Bartlett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kevin Bartlett

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Our best number 40? I just called him James or Stephen James. Never would say that nickname.
Ha ha

Billy Brown was best number 40. Dual premiership player in 1967 and 69 and played 130 or so games mainly as a 2nd rover to KB . Merv Keane also played in number 40 early in his career

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Ha ha

Billy Brown was best number 40. Dual premiership player in 1967 and 69 and played 130 or so games mainly as a 2nd rover to KB . Merv Keane also played in number 40 early in his career
Billy Brown before my time and Merv was always number 18 to me as much as Rainesy was always number 4. Who knows, maybe Sonz could do a Rainesy and get number 4 when Duz retires.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Billy Brown before my time and Merv was always number 18 to me as much as Rainesy was always number 4. Who knows, maybe Sonz could do a Rainesy and get number 4 when Duz retires.
Number 4 is a big load to carry. Royce, Raines and Dusty is Tiger royalty

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Well done on finding three Richmond players better than Royce Hart.
Or does this mean you never saw him play?
I have Bourke Barrot in my top 5. After re-watching some GFs from 67 to 74 reminded me of how good Sheedy was.
KB was lucky with injury, never got dropped but that doesn't make him great.

• Dislike

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
I have Bourke Barrot in my top 5. After re-watching some GFs from 67 to 74 reminded me of how good Sheedy was.

His incredible finals record does though. He was consistently very good in finals, and his best finals performances were nothing short of brilliant. His overall record included 3 b & f’s in premiership years 67 73 74 amongst his 5 overall, high Brownlow finishes and Media Association Player of the Year in 1979. 4 leading Richmond goal kicker awards.

He had a lot of very strong seasons and a lot of very strong finals campaigns. And not too many poor ones. He should not be given anything other than great credit for his longevity either. He was never a liability for Richmond. Better than all the guys you mentioned? He is certainly in the discussion with all of them at their best. But his career was overall better than any other player so far in our lifetimes.

Reactions: 4 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Saw a stat on Twitter today. Hungry has the second most 25 possession + 3 goal games in history (since stats were recorded anyway) - 38.

Leigh Matthews clearly the most.
I will confirm this but KB had something like 10 consecutive seasons where he averaged 30+ disposals a game.
Dusty has probably reached the highest peak of any Richmond player since the 67 GF although a retrospective Norm Smith Medal was done a few years ago and it was deemed KB won 2 more NS’s from the 67.69, 73,74 GFs. Most important factor for mine is Dusty is a 187cm monster, KB was a whippet, only a bit taller than Liam Baker.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Bugsy Barrot was my hero as a kid, he was a rockstar footballer, breathtakingly brilliant and the master showman.
He was also inconsistent and sometimes disinterested. His finals record was better than home and away because he was a big game player.
Billy was awesome, I loved him as a young kid and wore my duffel with his name and number proudly to the footy.
However top 5 he was not, he was way too inconsistent for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Loved Bomber James, cult hero who
looked like being a star at one point.

Kicked 49 goals in his first season and then faded away like so many in that era. Kicked more goals in his first season that the rest of his career combined :cry:
Played in defence a bit too.

Much like Michael Pickering they were quality players that were used to fill gaps everywhere and fell away.

Reactions: 2 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
His incredible finals record does though. He was consistently very good in finals, and his best finals performances were nothing short of brilliant. His overall record included 3 b & f’s in premiership years 67 73 74 amongst his 5 overall, high Brownlow finishes and Media Association Player of the Year in 1979. 4 leading Richmond goal kicker awards.

He had a lot of very strong seasons and a lot of very strong finals campaigns. And not too many poor ones. He should not be given anything other than great credit for his longevity either. He was never a liability for Richmond. Better than all the guys you mentioned? He is certainly in the discussion with all of them at their best. But his career was overall better than any other player so far in our lifetimes.
Good response. My caveat was I followed us heavily between 69 to 74. Attended the GFs between 72 and 74.
And I rewatched the grand finals between 67 and 74 recently. Hence my rethink on Sheedy.
I rate winning flags. So KB is Richmond's best by that measure. I can't see dimmas era getting another 2 flags.

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Bugsy Barrot was my hero as a kid, he was a rockstar footballer, breathtakingly brilliant and the master showman.
He was also inconsistent and sometimes disinterested. His finals record was better than home and away because he was a big game player.
Billy was awesome, I loved him as a young kid and wore my duffel with his name and number proudly to the footy.
However top 5 he was not, he was way too inconsistent for that.
I had no 4. My jumper. Hart I loved as a 9 year old. Martin is an eye-catching character. I don't have young kids of my own but I spoke with primary school age kids who loved DUSTY.
We're lucky to have him. I hope we bounce back this year. It looks like dusty has recovered.

• Love

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I rate winning flags. So KB is Richmond's best by that measure. I can't see dimmas era getting another 2 flags.
5 flags in a semi pro state competition with a hundred players on the team list and twelve teams. Versus 3 flags in a full professional national competition with only forty four players on the team list and eighteen teams. Love the idea of winning lots of flags, but it's comparing completely different eras with very different criteria.

Reactions: 1 users