Kevin Bartlett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kevin Bartlett

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
In Bartlett's days the best from all over Australia found their way to Victoria. There were super teams playing a tough brand of footy. With 18 teams, the talent pool has been spread and you could argue that flags are now easier to win. Three teams have won three in close succession in recent years. Lions, Hawks and Tigers.

Bartlett would be a champion today and Dusty would have been a champion in the 70s. Bartlett's gift was that you couldn't put him off his game or catch him. He was like one of those super bouncy balls we used to play with. They bounced back harder than you threw them.
Four teams, you forgot the Moggies, though Alz might have caused them to forget by now too.

Doesn't really matter how many ways or how often Gilligan n his besuited experts fudge n manipulate the rules. There's always a team or two that hit that perfect position of age, experience n talent at exactly the right time n dominate the comp for a few years.

Reactions: 1 users

SCAJMW

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2008
Been looking at some replays of Grand finals from 67 to 74. A bit harsh to judge a player based on one game but kB doesn't stand out. In any of the games. His opponent Rovers were not outstanding either. I thought Barrot was best on in 69. Also interesting to watch Sheedy be so good. The 73 win was a grind against Carlton. Green was good some years not others. Bourke and Clay were consistently good. Our defence was good, every year. Hunt, Keane, jewel, Wings were generally good but wood was well beaten by Greig.
I actually went to the grannies between 72 and 74. With average views of the actual game. And I didn't really watch much football from the mid 70s. I liked KB the player. Didn't like the way he kept a grudge about his sacking. I saw dusty in 2020 granny and that was a BOG. Performance. Its luck for KB and Brent Harvey. That they are so durable. 300 games at the top level is amazing and I hope Edwards, dusty and cotch join kB and Bourke soon. PS. Wayne Walsh was a great addition. As was sproule. Some great work by GR
David Thorpe was another good one!

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
bourke Barrot Clay - at about 12 yrs of age I heard it described as the centreline from heaven , and in the following years I could appreciate how that was a very true statement

and then to witness Bourke & Clay reinvent themselves as defenders , of a high calibre , was a privilege

they were talent stacked sides thru that period but so was Carlton 72/73 and North 74
was there for the 74 GF way up the back of Bay 13 , bit of a ned kelly view , but was there and absorbed the atmosphere

KB grudge - it feels like he's hung on too long , but would have to walk in his shoes to truly know or have been within the club at the time to be able to call him out
an unfortunate chapter in Tigerland history

KB & Harvey - luck with injury of course , but also appeared to be very professional in their approach to preparation for their time
Don't know if Cotch's body will let him , this year might be a good guide , but Edwards and Dusty look likely for long careers , fingers crossed

Walsh & Sproule - yes yes , my memory of Walsh is he would get cramps in the calves and have to get them rubbed way more than others , but he did run alot too

did we not win 1st's , 2nds & 3rds and Glen Waverly U17's(people called that our 4ths ) in '74 ? so much talent

67 - 82 was a true golden period

we are in a similar situation , success , deep talent on the list , lets hope we learn good and bad stuff from that golden period with Balme around and the well publised stories
Richmond could never win a Brownlow. I noticed that kb did win quite a few b&f. If kB had Griegs ranga hair maybe he would've won a couple of Brownlows.
Funny to notice the centre square appear in the middle of our reign. Noticed also north benefitting from the 10 year rule. Although Barry Davis only lasted half a game. Doug Wade didn't do much.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Richmond could never win a Brownlow. I noticed that kb did win quite a few b&f. If kB had Griegs ranga hair maybe he would've won a couple of Brownlows.
Funny to notice the centre square appear in the middle of our reign. Noticed also north benefitting from the 10 year rule. Although Barry Davis only lasted half a game. Doug Wade didn't do much.
Graeme Richmond decided who won the B&F’s year to year. If he got a set against a player no matter how good he was he wouldn’t win any club award.

• Wow

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Yeah GR ruled with an iron fist.
He ran the ballroom with an iron fist too. Back in the day pubs had to provide free food if they had live music. GR wanted to pack up the cold meat and bread platters. One drunk kid must have said the wrong thing and GR one punched and the kid was out cold.
I imagine if you were at Richmond and GR wanted you out. You wouldn't argue. He wasn't big but like someone said to me it's not the size of the dog un the fight.....
G (Faust)R brought in great players. But lost great players too. And we had to wait 35 years to get back in finals. Thank goodness Gale and O'Neill Run the club so well. Balme a great addition to the administration of the club.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
we shouldn't underestimate the impact Balme's presence has had
he enjoyed success as a player with us
success as a playing coach and coach in Adelaide
back to Vic and coach of Melb. where he had levels of success
Then to Collingwood during a successful period for them
and then Geelong in 2007
a life time of football involvement and once he left us I think all clubs enjoyed a rises up the ladder

he has seen so much and probably knows many pathways to improvement

he cuts a figure that naturally comands respect , I'm very sure he would have played a part in getting everyone to pull together under Dimma
and then also help keep ego's in check and who knows what else behind the scenes

and along with Dimma and Trent , Peggy & Brendan it appears to be a well run club to the outsider

and unlike the GR era , hopefully that group can manage people out of their positions when they are burnt out , or burning out
and not crash and burn like we have in the past

Reactions: 2 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
One man's opinion, but probably not far off the mark.
Everyone says that about Dusty, the greatest ever. Dusty is about 2/3 (of the way) up Bartlett’s ladder.”
The argument has merit statistically, with Sheedy declaring the stats speak for themselves; Bartlett played 403 VFL games between 1965 and 1983, is a five-time premiership player, Norm Smith medallist, was Richmond’s captain in 1979, five times club best and fairest winner, four times leading goal kicker for the yellow and black, Tigers Hall of Fame inductee and kicked 778 goals and 781 points.
Bartlett’s win/loss ratio was 67 per cent.
“And I don’t include Brownlows,” the former Essendon and GWS coach said.
Sheedy is the one of the most equipped to offer up his thoughts and critique his contemporaries, or those that followed.
The 74-year-old played 251 games for Richmond, he also coached Essendon football club and was appointed the Greater Western Sydney Giants inaugural coach for a total of 635 games.
Martin on the other hand is widely considered one of the best of his generation, some even suggest he is among the best of all time.
He’s played 260 games for the Tigers for a win/loss ratio of 57 per cent – 10 per cent less than Bartlett.
But his playing career speaks volumes; he is a two time best and fairest winner for Richmond, four times All Australian, three times Norm Smith medallist for best player in a grand final and three times premiership star.
The 30-year-old has 291 goals and 195 behinds but has played more time in the centre than Bartlett did, who played the majority of his football up forward.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Except Sheeds, Bartlett played in a Victorian Football League era of 12 teams vs Dusty in a National competition of 18 teams.
Simple maths says of course players of that generation are going to be more decorated. Much more competition now.

Reactions: 4 users

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
One man's opinion, but probably not far off the mark.
Everyone says that about Dusty, the greatest ever. Dusty is about 2/3 (of the way) up Bartlett’s ladder.”
The argument has merit statistically, with Sheedy declaring the stats speak for themselves; Bartlett played 403 VFL games between 1965 and 1983, is a five-time premiership player, Norm Smith medallist, was Richmond’s captain in 1979, five times club best and fairest winner, four times leading goal kicker for the yellow and black, Tigers Hall of Fame inductee and kicked 778 goals and 781 points.
Bartlett’s win/loss ratio was 67 per cent.
“And I don’t include Brownlows,” the former Essendon and GWS coach said.
Sheedy is the one of the most equipped to offer up his thoughts and critique his contemporaries, or those that followed.
The 74-year-old played 251 games for Richmond, he also coached Essendon football club and was appointed the Greater Western Sydney Giants inaugural coach for a total of 635 games.
Martin on the other hand is widely considered one of the best of his generation, some even suggest he is among the best of all time.
He’s played 260 games for the Tigers for a win/loss ratio of 57 per cent – 10 per cent less than Bartlett.
But his playing career speaks volumes; he is a two time best and fairest winner for Richmond, four times All Australian, three times Norm Smith medallist for best player in a grand final and three times premiership star.
The 30-year-old has 291 goals and 195 behinds but has played more time in the centre than Bartlett did, who played the majority of his football up forward.
I think Dusty is marginally the better player at this stage.
Bartlett definitely played the majority of his football on the ball however. Only the last few years as a permanent forward. He really loved a goal but missed an awful lot!

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Bartlett enjoyed success at an early age and played throughout a successful decade at the tigers winning flags from the late 60s and right through the 70’s. He had many great players around him.

Martin joined a club on its knees and helped build it along with Cotch, Edwards and Riewoldt.

Edit - I just checked and Kev had two seasons in 65 and 66 before the jackpot in 67. Maybe Martin needs to keep going a bit more before he is uno numero.

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
Except Sheeds, Bartlett played in a Victorian Football League era of 12 teams vs Dusty in a National competition of 18 teams.
Simple maths says of course players of that generation are going to be more decorated. Much more competition now.
If you think the players of today could withstand the players of old then I think you need to remember how brutal the competition was back then. I couldn’t name any player from the modern era who could last a full game let alone a full season

• Haha
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
If you think the players of today could withstand the players of old then I think you need to remember how brutal the competition was back then. I couldn’t name any player from the modern era who could last a full game let alone a full season
Reckon Dusty would go ok against KB. Been extremely robust Dusty. I always thought he'd have been an All Black if not for playing Australian Rules with his Maori blood.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Important opposition players were just assassinated when convenient especially with only one ump :mhihi

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Important opposition players were just assassinated when convenient especially with only one ump :mhihi
There was a bloke who played for South Launceston back in the day (very early 80's) who had one role. He'd sit on the pine and when it became clear who the best oppo player was on the day he'd get sent out to play on him. He'd usually only get a max of 10 minutes game time because as soon as the best oppo player had been dealt with, usually behind play when the ump's attention was up the other end of the ground, then the coach would drag him off.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
There was a bloke who played for South Launceston back in the day (very early 80's) who had one role. He'd sit on the pine and when it became clear who the best oppo player was on the day he'd get sent out to play on him. He'd usually only get a max of 10 minutes game time because as soon as the best oppo player had been dealt with, usually behind play when the ump's attention was up the other end of the ground, then the coach would drag him off.
Keeping him fresh and available to play or dare I say .................... play his role the following week :))

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Thank god those gutless thugs have largely been eradicated from the game.

Reactions: 15 users