kevin bartlett's 400th game - 1983 v collingwood | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

kevin bartlett's 400th game - 1983 v collingwood

langers1971

Tiger Cub
Mar 4, 2008
guys

i am looking for the tv replay of kb's 400th game, played round 19 1983 at mcg v collingwood in front of almost 80000 people. Collingwood won the match by 10 points, but does anybody have the tv replay of this game?

The club cannot help me, nothing on torrents, AFL cannot help, neither can name a game/sports delivered.

can anyone assist me at all?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
langers1971 said:
guys

i am looking for the tv replay of kb's 400th game, played round 19 1983 at mcg v collingwood in front of almost 80000 people. Collingwood won the match by 10 points, but does anybody have the tv replay of this game?

The club cannot help me, nothing on torrents, AFL cannot help, neither can name a game/sports delivered.

Can't help you but I remember KB tripping as he ran through the massive banner pre-game. Also remember our players handpassing/kicking the ball to him on every occasion we entered our forward half in the first two quarters which pissed me off considering he was pretty much past it at that time.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Can't help with the full game.

The day KB tripped the light fantastic at the ‘G’

By Tony Greenberg
11:11 AM Wed 06 Aug, 2008

k501f.jpg

Kevin Bartlett celebrated his 400th match on August 6, 1983.

It’s exactly 25 years ago today – August 6, 1983 – that Richmond great Kevin Bartlett made league football history by becoming the first player to reach the 400-game milestone.

The event was celebrated with a week of activity, culminating with Bartlett’s appearance in front of 81,966 fans at the MCG for the Round 19 Richmond-Collingwood game.

Bartlett was 36 years and 153 days old as he proudly strode on to the ‘G’ for a match which had the build-up of a big final, even though both teams had been struggling throughout that season.

Richmond, coached by Bartlett’s teammate in five Tiger premiership triumphs – Francis Bourke – had a 6-12 record going into the game and was in 11th place on the ladder, while Collingwood, with a 9-9 record, was just outside the top five (as it was back then), in sixth spot.

The Tigers looked like celebrating KB’s magic milestone in style when they led by seven points at three-quarter time of a low-scoring battle, but the Magpies finished stronger in the final term to run out 10 point winners.

Nothing, however, could detract from Kevin Bartlett’s super-special day.

Tigerland, indeed the whole football world it seemed, was caught in the grip of “Bartlettmania”.

Here’s how leading ‘Herald’ sports writer of the time, Peter Stone, reported KB’s amazing achievement, on the publication’s front page that day . . .

“Kevin Bartlett was king of the MCG today.

And didn’t every one of the 80,000 fans let him know it.

They rose to give a standing ovation to Bartlett as he ran on to the ground for his 400 match – a VFL record.

The little man they call “Hungry” ran through a guard of honor of Richmond and Collingwood players and through the Richmond cheer squad banner which caricatured Bartlett with both hands raised in triumph.

He jogged slowly through the banner and stumbled as he came through the massive wad of crepe paper. He was quickly on his feet and again the hands were raised in a victory salute.

Even the Collingwood cheer squad banner paid tribute to him.

The Magpies’ banner read: “Kevin Bartlett sporting history in the making congratulations on your 400th game.”

Earlier Bartlett had confided that he expected little trouble bursting his way through the Tiger banner as he’d been told the soft spot at which to aim, but the best laid plans had gone astray.

No one, it seemed, who had come in contact with Kevin Bartlett wanted to let the day pass without a personal greeting.

Former State Premier, Lindsay Thompson, phoned, a telegram from Prime Minister, Bob Hawke, was there somewhere among the hundreds.

The telephone rang incessantly, the well-wishes just wanted to congratulate him, the humble champion, on an achievement none before him had contemplated.

Telegrams and cards, some from the Philippines, Scotland and Canada littered the Bartlett, Waverley home.

The little guy who walked across the road to get a game of football 20 or so years ago prepared almost nonchalantly for his 400th VFL match.

While his three energetic children served breakfast, Kevin Bartlett lay in bed to contemplate all those years in the number 29 guernsey.

Last night was the earliest he was in bed for the week. And, even then, it was 11.30pm, after being the guest of honor at the Moonee Valley Harness Racing meeting.

The clock beside Bartlett’s bed was 16 minutes fast. It was on “Lombardi time” a habit he picked up after reading a book on the great American football coach, Vince Lombardi.

But there was no way Bartlett would be late at the MCG today. His kids had seen to that by waking him at 8.30am with a shower of kisses, and their own gift to commemorate their father’s wonderful achievement.

“There are very few times in your life that you get the chance to be first at anything,” Bartlett said.

“I’ve been given that chance, and it’s fantastic satisfaction.

“No record stands the test of time, but maybe with my achievement it will help inspire other people to the same heights.

“It’s great to feel that it was you who broke down the barriers.”

It could well have been Edmund Hillary or maybe Bjorn Borg talking.

But Bartlett is such a modest man that he would not even consider rating his achievement with that of others in sporting endeavors.

The man they call “Hungry” will retire after the last home-and-away match this season. He will have no regrets when that happens as his has been a wonderful contribution to the lives of so many Victorians.

He said he will have “been there and done that” and then it will be time to embark on something new.”

That telegram from Prime Minister Bob Hawke read:

“Congratulations on your splendid record with the Tigers and for the VFL.

Best wishes for your historic 400th senior game next Saturday.

Whatever the outcome, your magnificent achievement will cement your place in Australian sporting legend.”

Post-match, Kevin Bartlett said:

“I’m really proud of Australian Rules football . . . it was a fantastic reaction today. It felt great to be part of the VFL and Richmond.

It was disappointing to be beaten, but I was proud of my team-mates. They gave their all . . .

It might sound a bit corny, but I have been like a little bright-eyed kid with a new toy – it’s an impossible-to-describe magical feeling.

How can one man be so lucky to have so many good things happen to him.

It has been the most hectic week in my life and – along with the Richmond premierships – my biggest day.

I’ve been flat out and I’ve lost count of the media interviews and appearances I’ve done and the number of people with whom I’ve shaken hands.

The gifts, the cards, the telegrams from supporters and friends have been fantastic and they’ll just about fill a room at my place.

A lot of people asked me how nervous I was at the start of the game, but I can honestly say I felt fairly calm.

I don’t think the occasion affected my play and I thought I went okay.

But there was plenty of pressure and the atmosphere was just like a final out there with a crowd of nearly 82,000.

I had a minor hitch by tripping through the huge banner.

They had used thicker tape to withstand the wind and I slightly misjudged the circled weaker spot near the bottom where I jumped through.”

The Richmond team that day was:
Kevin Bartlett
Greg Conlan
Phil Egan
Dan Foley
Tim Gepp
Jim Jess
Merv Keane
Graham Landy
Mark Lee
Alan Martello
David Palm
Neil Peart
Maurice Rioli
Michael Roach
Barry Rowlings
Paul Sarah
Greg Strachan
Matthew Wall
Dale Weightman
Robert Wiley

The Collingwood team that day was:
Graeme Allan
John Annear
Dennis Banks
Ricky Barham
Ray Byrne
David Cloke
Peter Daicos
Wes Fellowes
Tony Kelly
Greg Phillips
Billy Picken
Michael Richardson
Tony Shaw
Andrew Smith
Craig Stewart
Michael Taylor
Graham Teasdale
David Twomey
Phillip Walsh

Ironically, four members of that Magpie line-up – Annear, Cloke, Stewart and Walsh – later crossed over to Richmond.

KB had seven kicks in the first quarter and finished with 16 for the match, but for the first time in 27 games, didn’t manage to score a goal.

Ray Byrne, his Collingwood opponent on the day, said to KB as they lined up before the game: “Fancy all these people coming along to see you play on me.”

Later that night, KB received an envelope from Ray with a toothless comb inside!

Match details
Richmond 4.4 7.7 9.12 11.13 (79)
Collingwood 5.0 7.2 9.5 13.11 (89)

Goals – Richmond: Roach 4, Weightman 4, Rowlings 2, Egan. Collingwood: Walsh 3, Annear 2, Mike Richardson 2, Williams 2, Allan, Banks, Fellowes, Taylor.

for richmondfc.com.au

http://footyinfo.com/matches/9047/

Some vision of the day here @2.45

[youtube=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK4K4InPASw[/youtube]

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Phillip Walsh starred and that led to us paying him squillions to join us in 1984, where he hardly fired a shot before being given to the Bears

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I have an article in a scrapbook that day from the Hun

The heading is "Pies couldn't dampen this Tigers Day"

The heading was in reference to the fact that the crowd on the day was larger than expected and th MCG ran out of meat pies.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
langers1971 said:
guys

You should contact Rhett Bartlett.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Tigers of Old said:
Ironically, four members of that Magpie line-up – Annear, Cloke, Stewart and Walsh – later crossed over to Richmond.

And Teasdale and Cloke had played for Richmond previously. And Peart had played previously for Collingwood.
Geeze, that line-up ... you can see the beginning of the end there can't you?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Punxsutawney Phil said:
Phillip Walsh starred and that led to us paying him squillions to join us in 1984, where he hardly fired a shot before being given to the Bears

He was like Peter Matera at his absolute best that day. Murdered us.