Kevin, you're too slow . . . | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kevin, you're too slow . . .

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Kevin, you’re too slow to do all this finessin’

[N.B.  This is unashamedly “lifted” from Well May We Say . . . The Speeches That Made Australia, Edited by Sally Warhaft – the source was given as “Audio courtesy of the Australian Football League , previously unpublished”and is reproduced on PRE without prior permission so hope it’s ok.]​

Tom Hafey’s address to the Richmond Football Club, Preliminary Final, VFL Park, 20 September, 1975.​

The Richmond Football Club had not won a premiership for almost twenty-five years when Tommy Hafey (1931- ) was appointed coach in 1966.  A tough, compact back-pocket player who had played seventy-seven games for his club between 1953 and 1958, Hafey brought a no-frills approach to the job.  He was one of the first coaches to devote himself to his players’ physical conditioning, having himself become a disciple of the athletics coach Percy Cerutty, and his personal integrity extracted great loyalty from senior players.  He coached the ‘Tigers’ through a golden premiership era, including four premierships, then went on to coach at Collingwood, where he took the team from the bottom of the ladder to a grand Final in twelve months.

After seasons at Geelong and Sydney, he finished his career having coached 522 games, but his influence outlived him, through the eighteen of his players who became VFL and AFL coaches in their own right.  The most famous, Kevin Sheedy, played 251 games for Richmond between 1967 and 1979 before commencing his tenure at Essendon in 1981.  Like Hafey, Sheedy was ‘tough and totally fearless’ — but not tough enough in the 1975 Preliminary Final against North Melbourne, when Hafey pleaded with his star defender to stop his ‘finessin’’.  The straight-talking demands were not enough; Richmond lost by seventeen points to North Melbourne.

*​

We’re not runnin’ straight at the ball.  That’s the cruel part about it, Tigers.  Nothing more Tigerish than a bloody Tiger, a wounded Tiger.  Kevin, fair dinkum mate, you’ve got to put your boot into the ball, you’re too slow to do all this finessin’.  Bloody back pocket plumber, that’s what I want.  You see the bloody straight, get your boot to the damn thing headin’ towards goals.  Same with Michael, same with Balmy, we’ve gotta get a lift from you players.  Surely you can see this, everybody’s gotta get a lift.  Kevvy Morris, where you been?  Get in now, come on, in the front of your man, you know he’s gunna run like mad.  But the biggest problem, fellas:  across the half forward line.  David, I’ve given you a big job, a big job, centre half forward – but at the end of the day, at the end of that half, you were joggin’ along, you were joggin’ as though you were waiting for the bloody bell to come along.  We’ve gotta remember that every time the ball comes to our area you’ve gotta fight like hell.  Fight on your hands and knees, fight over for the mark, run over, and then when it does come to the ground, that’s when Sheeds or Bruce Montieth . . .

And I told you Johnny Rantell’s a great mark, well you oughta know better than anybody right now, because every time the ball’s come up he’s marked over ya Bruce, fair dinkum.  I can’t remember you once tryin’ to knock the ball to the ground, can’t remember you once doin’ it.

Thanks for that Roar. It's great to read. Gee I wish the club utilised Tommy more. He has so much passion to inspire the kids yet when I spoke to him a few months ago he'd never even met Mark Coughlan to have a chat with.
It's such a waste and makes me so disappointed.

rosy23 said:
Gee I wish the club utilised Tommy more.
He has so much passion to inspire the kids yet when I spoke to him a few months ago he'd never even met Mark Coughlan to have a chat with.
It's such a waste and makes me so disappointed.

I hope Terry brings in Tommy Hafey and a lot more ex-players.

It would be good to see them involved eg Disco.....

I have given up hope for KB returning too many things have happen unfortunately.... :(

The revolution must start with the players from previous years being involved.

Then we can be feared, hated, dispised and loathed as are rightful place dictates.

My greatest regret since 1980 is not the shambolic recruiting/coaching [coaches have been made the scapegoat for far too long] but other supporters feel sorry for us. :'(

It is time that other clubs and especially their supporters "HATE US" let them fear to play us.

Roar34 said:
  Nothing more Tigerish than a bloody Tiger, a wounded Tiger.  Kevin, fair dinkum mate, you’ve got to put your boot into the ball, you’re too slow to do all this finessin’.  Bloody back pocket plumber, that’s what I want. 

That's interesting. I've read that quote numerous times but never really knew the origin.

Yeah, remember that Preliminary Final well. Roycey came on after half time and got the Tigers going. We got within 2 points of them in the last quarter when Michael Green took a mark in the goal square. Both Dench and Gumbleton fell to the ground in the contest. Green played on. Dench got to his feet and just managed to tackle Green and it went for a point. Well the Tiges effectively never touched the ball again, and North went on to win their first premiership.

Didn't Tommy come and give the pre game address after Dyer's sad passing? I'm sure Coughlan was there that day. I hope TW sees fit to keep Tommy around the club. He's one of the true legends of the RFC.