Knee injuries | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Knee injuries

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
On cue..

The changes that could fix AFLW's ACL problem

Whilst there's some good points here, this article mainly seems like a push by this writer to make the women's game professional so I'm not entirely convinced by her opinion piece.

Given the spate of injuries though, questions must be asked whether women's bodies are built for the rigors of football currently.
Fact is many of these girls have not grown up playing Australian Rules footy. Does that matter?..
Have the muscles in their legs developed around the knee sufficiently to deal with the amount of twisting/turning & impact required? Are they anatomically built for the game?

These are hard questions that likely won't get asked because most people are too afraid of the backlash. I'll no doubt have someone howl at me for asking them here.
However the spate of knee injuries in AFLW is the elephant in the room & someone needs to get to the bottom of it by asking why.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Is there anything in the idea of hard summer grounds contributing to the injury?
Of course it should follow that men's footy has a higher rate of ACL during summer training on the hard summer grounds.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
thanks.
The AFLW grounds in summertime would be harder than the docklands /WA grounds in June.... depends when the tests were done.
Though I have no information or training, so its unlikely that I will be that rich individual.
They may not even become rich, as the information would get out. But they would definitely get an exercise named after them -> the Hilfintompler squat that builds stronger knees and prevents ACL injuries

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It's not an AFL-based issue. It is fact that women have a much higher rate of ACL injuries in sport full stop. 70% of ACL injuries are apparently non-contact based. For this reason I believe it is to do with body makeup. I'm not sure there is a solution. Just have to accept that a certain percentage of women, like men, will sustain an ACL injury playing sport.

Reactions: 1 users