Konrad Marshal..A SEASON WITH RICHMOND-book launch INVITE | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Konrad Marshal..A SEASON WITH RICHMOND-book launch INVITE

Columbo

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 4, 2007
Re: Yellow & Black By Konrad Marshall

caesar said:
This book will require it's own thread I reckon once people start reading, but it will require it's own spoiler alert!!! I have only finished chapter 1 and can see why it has rave reviews.

Won't divulge anything, just building on the hype and confirming you are in for an awesome read!

Yep, surprised a thread hasn't popped up about this book yet. Almost 200 pages in, its fantastic. Love how it covers all bases of the football club, not just footy. Board meetings, staff, volunteers, etc...
So far, McCrae, Leppa and Dan Rioli...big thumbs up.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
i did put up a thread on the main board, but the mods moved it here

definitely deserves a main thread

however, agree with the spoiler alert. just let people read it with an open mind

it is simply fantastic

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I’m saving mine for the new year holiday down the beach.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
RFC superstore ship overseas. Makes it a bit more expensive but worth it.

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
come to greville records this friday 10 november 7 pm..here konrad himself talk about his book and experiences..get `your book signed to..talk tiger talk
and yes we can mail copies nywhere to

152 greville st
prahran

2 train stops from richmond staion
9510 3012.....warwicks the tigers lunatic at the store..

rock n roll and football...what else could one possibly want??? :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :spin :spin :cutelaugh :cutelaugh :cutelaugh

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Here Endeth The Lesson!

Have just finished Yellow & Black.
What a Fabulous/Inspiring/Emotional and Enlightening read.
Thought you knew what goes on inside the bowels of a professional football club, think again.
The transformation of the club this year just mind-blowing, better understood by this inside account.
Through shared stories the care and love they have for each other shone through and makes me even prouder of the club today

Warning!: Keep the box of tissues handy especially if you are still emotionally fragile after our Grand Final win :)

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
I love reading about a particular game, then watching that game and seeing it through fresh eyes.
Fascinating stuff.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Just finished it. Great read. Highly recommend it.

So much goes on inside a footy club that we supporters know nothing about. It shows that much of the criticism of players and coaches has little relation to reality.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
year of the tiger said:
Personally reckon he has gone to print to early - should have waited a couple more years and he could have expanded his story to the successful accent of the mountain multiple times. ;D

He might end up like Michael Roberts and just republish the same material on the Pies History every two years under a different name. Best 100 Pies of last Century, best 125 of 125 years, best 50 of last 50. Etc etc. Probably has the publishing record of books sold to actually read ratio.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Haven't got it yet, going on my Christmas list. Rohan Connolly spoke briefly about it last week at SEN and said it's probably one of the best sports books he's read.

Columbo

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 4, 2007
going by the article on the AFL website today re Collingwood, looks like Bucks has picked up a copy of the book.
Will probably use all of Dimma's pre game stories and A3 pictures.

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Am almost finished and it has been a fantastic read. Thoroughly recommend to any diehard tiger fan. A great Christmas present.

Probably the only negative I can find is I was disappointed with the coverage given to the debacle v St Kilda at Etihaad in the middle of the year. Would have loved to see the response by both coaches and players but was largely glossed over.

T44

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Tiger44 said:
Am almost finished and it has been a fantastic read. Thoroughly recommend to any diehard tiger fan. A great Christmas present.

Probably the only negative I can find is I was disappointed with the coverage given to the debacle v St Kilda at Etihaad in the middle of the year. Would have loved to see the response by both coaches and players but was largely glossed over.

T44

agree 100%

would love to know the real reason behind that st kilda debacle

axlefoley

Tiger Superstar
Sep 29, 2007
Konrad Marshall & Peggy O'Neal will be at Freehills by special invitation only, mid December.

An evening with Peggy O’Neal and Konrad Marshall

The Richmond Football Club has achieved in the past 12 months what many corporate businesses grapple with – successful strategic execution.

We are delighted to invite you to an evening of Q&A with:

• Peggy O’Neal, the AFL’s first and only female president and a former Herbert Smith Freehills partner; and
• Konrad Marshall, a senior writer with Fairfax Media who spent 2016 and 2017 with the Tigers and has just published his book “Yellow and Black: A Season with Richmond”.

Peggy and Konrad will share with us their insights into the behind the scenes workings of the Richmond Football Club on its road to 2017 Premiership success including:

• The significance of cultural change in Richmond’s success and how the Tigers went about creating cultural change.
• The role of self-reflection and the personal changes that key coaching staff and the player leadership group made to achieve a winning formula.
• The importance of having a clearly defined strategy and how the Tigers tracked their performance to achieve ultimate success.
• How an American lawyer came to be the first female president of an AFL club and the role of women in sport.
• Lessons we can all learn from the business of sport and what Mount Everest has to do with winning the Premiership.

The evening will end with Q&A followed by drinks and canapes.

Do you have a question for me to ask Peggy or Konrad? I'll ask them but I will select the best one's here so I don't hog the Q&A. ;D

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Ice said:
agree 100%

would love to know the real reason behind that st kilda debacle

we were in the middle of a huge training load block & several players inc Toby Nank had the flu

Mini pre season in mid season worked wonders for meatball

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Bought 2 copies this week, one for me, and one for the old man for Christmas. Haven't even really looked at it yet, it's next on the reading list.

EJC

Tiger Rookie
Dec 1, 2010
Ballarat
22nd Man said:
Hope it does for his sake...but I have a gut feel that decent sales for a book is around 10000.. At $30 gross us $300,000. Of which the author might trouser half. So $150k for Marshall.. Ok for a years work on top of his journos salary but JK Rowling hasn't got any worries.
I will be a buyer...
Unfortunately, the publishing model doesn't work like this. You are right on the quantity, though; if a locally-published book shifts 10,000 units it is considered a solid seller. But publishers and distributors work in wholesale terms - they receive 90 per cent of wholesale revenue - and authors receive 10 per cent of wholesale sales if the book recovers its costs. If you see a book retailing for $30, generally speaking the outlet has paid $15 for it and, furthermore, they can return any unsold units. If you do the maths, once costs have been recovered, an author can expect $1.50 in royalties for a book retailing for $30.

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Konrad Marshall's Yellow and Black book

Wonderful read. Answered most of my questions.
The turn around by the club is wonderfully documented and it gives an insight into the sheer amount of work required by footballers and staff to make it all happen.

The obvious reason RFC won was because the whole side embraced mindfulness and the care and understanding of each other. No other club has so fully embraced the psychological aspect, which is the fastest way to improve. One of the most telling quotes was that of a player from another club saying that their club wouldn't be as open and honest as Richmond is with each other.

A must buy book.