LEADERSHIP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

LEADERSHIP

Edgar_Poe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mar 28, 2003
Last year, one of our major weaknesses was a lack of on-field leadership. Benny Gale and Paul Broderick had clearly served this role in the past, but with their retirement at the end of 2001, coupled with Matthew Knights and Leon Cameron having a reduced role on the ground, our lack of strong, inspiring on-field leaders was really exposed. Campbell tries, but seems to go missing too often in vital games; Gaspar doesn't seem to care; Bowden's not forceful enough; Richo's too inconsistent; Andrew Kellaway's gutsy, but lacks the flair to be truly inspirational. In a strange way, last year I felt that Rodan (even though he was a first year player) was one of the few Richmond players on the ground who actually seemed to care whether we won or lost. He certainly always seemed to give a red-hot go.
In tonight's game, then, it seems imperative that someone put up their hand to offer some real on-field leadership. Perhaps Stafford -- or perhaps it'll be Johnson (a little sad that none of the more established players look like they're going to full this role) -- but someone's got to do it. We need a leader, and we need him now.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I agree Edgar,
Our team seems to be devoid of team spirit. A lot of that comes down to leadership. Someone who inspires the players to want to do well.
Where is the patting on the bum when someone does something good?
When kids like Cogs or Rodan back themselves and it comes off, where are the team mates running to congratulate them.
The team last season and the team Friday night didn't look as though they were a "team" to me, but rather a group of individuals going about their own businsess.
I was hoping it would have changed this year after certain changes at the club, but Friday night didn't show much promise of that.
The team needs leadership and inspiration from the coach and the captain first.....if the senior players don't feel it, how is it going to pass on through the team?