Let the whining and saltiness begin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Let the whining and saltiness begin

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I am happy to go on record as saying the first four goals after half time in the PF were all amongst the best you will see.
Remember we were behind and it was a high pressure game.
First...PrestiaCotchinEdwards tackle and release the ball for Caddy to pass to Prestia who hits Lynch lace out. A classic RFC 2019 goal.
Second...We disposess Cats with tackling on the wing, Short dodges two Cats and kicks to a contest without fear . JR does a sublime tap to Martin who reads it perfectly. Another classic RFC 2019 goal.
Third...Gryan whoever passes to Selwood, three Tigers disposess him and Bolton hits Castagna with a sublime pass splitting two defenders without fear.. Another classic.
Fourth...Edwards wins loose ball, cooly passes to Caddy, passes to Prestia who has outrun his opponent who kicks to top of the square, Lynch v three Cats, no fear, Lynch marks and wins free.

All goals were fabulous. Very little recognition. Commentators do not understand the Richmond way. No pausing, no need for perfect target, trust in team mate to contest hard, fierce tackling, constant running and honouring team mates effort to be available.

We are goals better than all other teams....just wish George could kick and handball.

Prestia's 2 goals were great goals that came at crucial tmes, what a year he had.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Our second half against the Cats was some of the best footy you are likely to ever see. Footy neutrals said to me the last 6 quarters that Richmond played this year was a level above anyone else in the league. Only smug Hawks supporters have too much to say about football these days.

Reactions: 6 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
We are goals better than all other teams....just wish George could kick and handball.
That would be great but they aren't his strengths and it does not matter. This is the change in attitude by RFC coaches that started after the crash of 2016. They got back to celebrating the skills players had not just focussing on their deficiencies. Even though George works on his kicking, Dimma accepts his deficiencies because there are many other guys who are elite kicks and therefore play that role within the whole game plan. No one player is blessed with all the skills required of an RFC player and there are some non-negotiable traits eg. head-over-the-ball courage. But there are many traits in which George is elite like his speed, run and carry, chasing pressure, tackling pressure, endurance to run all day, courage, etc. When he's got the ball the opposition don't have it and I'm sure his metres gained no's are very high, esp. in the GF. He fills an important role within the whole machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
That PF is certainly interesting in terms of reality and media perception.

We should’ve been closer at half time.

Most of the game had the air of Geelong barely holding on, even though they broke even in general play in the second quarter.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Nah. Spilled a mark he should have swallowed with his eyes closed, pure arse that Dusty was late to the contest n the ball spilled fortuitously.
As previously mentioned TM, i had 3 stubbies during the 3rd quarter, it didn't look that way to me ;)

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Most of the game had the air of Geelong barely holding on, even though they broke even in general play in the second quarter.

Dusty, corky hobbling on one leg all game.
Fridge, bung wing flapping around like a wounded sea gull all game.
Cotch, ankle n gimping along at various times.
Broady, Tboned n lights out late in the game.
Tross, wrecked knee n didn't play all year.

*smile* stray moggies were lucky they got to control one qtr of the game but they'd have *smile* on us if the nasty tribunal hadn't suspended their Tomahawk n their coach could actually coach instead of just barracking all game. Miserable bunch of pensioners can just stay Salty as they like dreamin it's still 2007.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I am happy to go on record as saying the first four goals after half time in the PF were all amongst the best you will see.
First...PrestiaCotchinEdwards tackle and release the ball for Caddy to pass to Prestia who hits Lynch lace out. A classic RFC 2019 goal.
Second...We disposess Cats with tackling on the wing, Short dodges two Cats and kicks to a contest without fear . JR does a sublime tap to Martin who reads it perfectly. Another classic RFC 2019 goal.
Third...Gryan whoever passes to Selwood, three Tigers disposess him and Bolton hits Castagna with a sublime pass splitting two defenders without fear.. Another classic.
Fourth...Edwards wins loose ball, cooly passes to Caddy, passes to Prestia who has outrun his opponent who kicks to top of the square, Lynch v three Cats, no fear, Lynch marks and wins free.

All goals were fabulous. Very little recognition. Commentators do not understand the Richmond way. No pausing, no need for perfect target, trust in team mate to contest hard, fierce tackling, constant running and honouring team mates effort to be available.

Not to mention the one Lynch missed.

At the time watching the game live, with my long-suffering affliction of having watched Richmond over the last 35 years, I was not relaxed until the last few minutes of the game.
But after watching it again many times, I reckon a young, knowledgable non-Richmond supporting fan would have watched the clinical nature of that first of those four goals and thought, game over to Richmond, then and there, despite still being 15 points behind.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
All goals were fabulous. Very little recognition. Commentators do not understand the Richmond way. No pausing, no need for perfect target, trust in team mate to contest hard, fierce tackling, constant running and honouring team mates effort to be available....

The first goal was set up because of the Cotchin tackle on Stanley, the second goal because of Cotchin's smother on Selwood. Fantastic captain for us

Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That would be great but they aren't his strengths and it does not matter. This is the change in attitude by RFC coaches that started after the crash of 2016. They got back to celebrating the skills players had not just focussing on their deficiencies. Even though George works on his kicking, Dimma accepts his deficiencies because there are many other guys who are elite kicks and therefore play that role within the whole game plan. No one player is blessed with all the skills required of an RFC player and there are some non-negotiable traits eg. head-over-the-ball courage. But there are many traits in which George is elite like his speed, run and carry, chasing pressure, tackling pressure, endurance to run all day, courage, etc. When he's got the ball the opposition don't have it and I'm sure his metres gained no's are very high, esp. in the GF. He fills an important role within the whole machine.

I agree, and furthermore, the more I watch of Castagna the more I reckon he kicks them when we need them. There was a good goal in the PF and, let's face it, we didn't need him to kick straight in the GF!

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

This mark was right in front of me, the camera on tv simply does not do it justice as to how he got rid of his direct opponent & outmarked the other 2, & didn't the crowd go nuts when he took the mark...
when the mark was taken i turned to a mate who is normally very chirpy about us at the worst of times & he was simply speechless, just shook his head at what was happening in front of our eyes.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Our second half against the Cats was some of the best footy you are likely to ever see. Footy neutrals said to me the last 6 quarters that Richmond played this year was a level above anyone else in the league. Only smug Hawks supporters have too much to say about football these days.
That mobs fans still think they are in the mix....
I do agree tho when we are on nobody can go with us & when the other team has momentum we are about the only team that can hold an opponent till the tide turns.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

Agree 100%
While it is true Geelong should have been further up as they did miss some shots on goal in the 2nd term, what is overlooked is that we did so as well.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

ManI did not share that thought at half time the 2019 prelim. I had conceded to a few friends that the game was over. It felt like the 2018 PF all over again at the time. Our midfield could barely get their hands on it, and Dusty could barely run or hit the side of a barn door.

Had to read the game day thread again and it seems many shared the same view as me. You nailed it at the time though, Baron. You were pretty confident.

Gah, what a game, only final I’ve missed in the last 10 years was the 2017 granny. The 2019 PF was my personal favourite game ever. Such a great win from where I felt we were at half time.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I was pretty confident at half time against Geelong. We have a strong finish in matches as we play consistent 4 quarter football and not many can go with us.

Against Collingwood the year before the difference was the 10 minutes before and after quarter time where they kicked 6 goals 2 to zip. Cox kicked his three goals in that period. They lead by 43 at that time and 44 at half time. We then had our usual comeback and at about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter the difference was 21 points. They kicked the last 3 goals. They had a day out and we were not at our best but we still dragged ourselves back into the game - fleetingly

But don't underestimate how well we finish games. The three finals matches last year we went 29 goals to 7

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I was pretty confident at half time against Geelong. We have a strong finish in matches as we play consistent 4 quarter football and not many can go with us.

Against Collingwood the year before the difference was the 10 minutes before and after quarter time where they kicked 6 goals 2 to zip. Cox kicked his three goals in that period. They lead by 43 at that time and 44 at half time. We then had our usual comeback and at about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter the difference was 21 points. They kicked the last 3 goals. They had a day out and we were not at our best but we still dragged ourselves back into the game - fleetingly

But don't underestimate how well we finish games. The three finals matches last year we went 29 goals to 7
Really love this about us atm, we can hold a team when they have momentum & once we sense them cracking we go up another gear.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Man I did not share that thought at half time the 2019 prelim. I had conceded to a few friends that the game was over. It felt like the 2018 PF all over again at the time. Our midfield could barely get their hands on it, and Dusty could barely run or hit the side of a barn door.

Had to read the game day thread again and it seems many shared the same view as me. You nailed it at the time though, Baron. You were pretty confident.

Gah, what a game, only final I’ve missed in the last 10 years was the 2017 granny. The 2019 PF was my personal favourite game ever. Such a great win from where I felt we were at half time.

I was at both and to me it felt very different. I knew we would need to lift but I thought we were in it at half time this year. Just hoping we could get back as Geelong were playing some great footy and setting up very well. In 2018 we looked second rate and shouldn't have been so close early in the last - if we had won that one we really would have stolen it, Collingwood were all over us and playing great footy especially smashing us in the middle and benefiting from great delivery to the forward line.

DS

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
ManI did not share that thought at half time the 2019 prelim. I had conceded to a few friends that the game was over. It felt like the 2018 PF all over again at the time. Our midfield could barely get their hands on it, and Dusty could barely run or hit the side of a barn door.

Same here. I reckon if Lynchy didn't get that quick early goal in the 3rd quarter, it would've been harder for us to come back.