Letter to the Umpiring Association | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Letter to the Umpiring Association

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
This is a copy of a letter I've sent to the Umpiring Association. www.aflua.com.au

Normally I wouldn't bother, but if we had a final over in the West I'd be very disappointed to have such weak umpiring.

Hello,

I am writing to voice my disappointment with the umpiring in the West Coast Eagles vs Richmond game at Subiaco on Saturday night.

I have never seen a game before where the crowd seemed to have the umpires so obviously wrapped around their little fingers.

Can you please tell me the reason umpires from up the field would go and question the goal umpire after he had given a behind to the Eagles?

The goal umpire was in a far better position then the field umpires. The call about the ball being touched or not isn’t the issue. If the goal umpire was in doubt he had to give the lesser score anyway.

The issue is why the field umpires questioned his decision when they did, it obviously wasn't because they saw whether the ball was touched or not.
The cynic in me suspects it’s because they reacted to the crowd. The noise on tv gave the impression the point was shown on the screen and the crowd went wild and that is when the field umpired approached the goal umpire.

It’s not for the umpires to influence the outcome of a game either by reacting to crowd pressure, or by looking at the replay on the screen themselves.

Another bemusing incident is when the umpire signaled Richmond’s way when he awarded a free to an Eagles player. How can play go on when the umpire pointed the wrong way, the player with the ball was facing the wrong way, and therefore the man on the mark was in the wrong position also?

It might also be worthwhile looking into a couple of the holding the ball, and other incidents paid against Richmond. Watching on the tv gave the impression the crowd possibly influenced the umpiring then too.

I really hope the umpiring of this game gets close scrutiny. The umpiring is not an excuse for the outcome of this game. Not by a long shot. What concerns me is that these guys might get to umpire a vital interstate final where it would be a disgrace to let crowd intimidation affect the outcome.

I think you could probably compile a pretty good “Lowlights Of Umpiring Interstate” video from this game.

Regards,

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
the 1st one regarding bowden on the boundry line id expect that umpire to be umpiring in the bush next week.
the 2nd one with tivver.you are right rosy the ump was influrenced by the crowd and video.if the ump questioned the goaly ump staright away i wouldnt have a problem with it but in this case it was clear that the ump was reactive to the situation.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
I was also annoyed with Vardy's deliberate out of bounds

And, rodan getting his head ripped off and being pinged for holding it, followed seconds later by a similar decision which went against Rodan for a push in the back

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I actually thought Rodan was getting the free for the high tackle rather than being pinged for holding the ball.
I think it was Houlihan penalised for holding the ball later in the game.
The umpires took their time giving that one and I got the impression they made a decision based on the crowd again.
Will have to watch the replay and see if I feel the same seeing the incident again.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
THE VARDY OUT OF BOUNDS DELIBERATE WAS AN ABSOLUTE *smile* DISGRACE!!!! Anyone who has Fox footy and can bear to watch the replay (I can't) look closely at the direction of where Vardy attempted to punch the ball. It was down the ground, and it unfortunately came of the side of his fist and went out of bounds. This is one of the worst umpiring decisions I have ever seen.

The 2 free kicks paid agaisnt Rodan within a minute were also a joke. That was no where near a holding the ball. I really felt sorry for the little fella. And as for the push in the back on Kerr, absolute bull *smile* *smile*!When are these stooges going to *smile* wake up and realise the distinction between a tackle and a push in the back. Not sure what the official rule is, but for mine, if a player has his arms around another player and brings him down, its a tackle. Its inconsequential that the tacklers chest heaves into the back of the of the player tackled. This for mine is the most dissapointing aspects of our game. The tacklers aren't being rewarded anymore. You lay a great tackle, as Rodan did on Kerr, and you get penalised. I think the rules committee and the umpires need a good hard look at themselves over this.

The Bowden free kick and the Eagles play-on belies belief. And to that mother *smile* who was laughing in the commentary box after it, I will hunt you down.

At the end of the day these umpiring decisions cost matches. You might say what's a few free kicks in a 50+ point thumping. It doesn't work that way. I look at footy games the same way I look at chaos theory. One seemingly insignificant event in a vast, complex frame of events can have MASSIVE consequences later on in that sequence.

Had these 4 free kicks not been there, as they should not have been, the outcome could have been hugely different.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Onya rosy :).

That free kick where the umpire pointed the wrong way was a disgrace. An umpire can NOT call play on from a free kick if the play is not continuous and the player receiving the free is in front (and by a long way in this case) of the mark. No point having 3 umpires if they don't know the basic rules of the game :mad:. It's alright for WA commentators to laugh but imagine if the roles were reversed. They would have be outraged and we would have never heard the end of it.

And pinging Vardy for deliberate OOB...WTF ???

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
DragicevicFan said:
I was also annoyed with Vardy's deliberate out of bounds

And, rodan getting his head ripped off and being pinged for holding it, followed seconds later by a similar decision which went against Rodan for a push in the back
Yeah I noticed those and much to the amusement of hubby, hurled abuse at the tv.

Even some of the centre bounces left a lot to be desired. Maybe certain umpires need to spend time in the seconds.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
It said it today's paper that they were reviewing the tape where the goal umpire disallowed the goal, saying Tivendale had touched it.
"Possible use of television replays in AFL matches is expected to come under the spotlight following an incident in West Coast's win over Richmond at Subiaco Oval on Saturday night.

Eagle Rowan Jones appeared to have kicked a goal right on the goal-line lage in the third term but goal umpire John Marrapodi signalled a behind, ruling Greg Tivendale had touched the ball.

No mention of the Eagles playing going the wrong way though.

Field umpire Brett Rosebury witnessed the television replays on the big screen which showed the ball hd not been touchec and queried the decision. The umpire's action will probably be reviewed at AFL headquarters and guidelines possibly tightened."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
gustiger12 said:
Rosy, do you reckon "the Giesch" will be sympathetic to your cause.

Haha Gus, Nah not at all. ;D

Still I'd hate to think I didn't do my little bit to ensure we don't cop that kind of crowd controlled umpiring again if we happen to have to go back to Perth for a final.

Geisch might be more likely to pencil these guys in for a final if Richmond goes over there.

It's a bit amusing, cos after our wins against the Hwaks, Bummers and Demons they all complained on their boards how the umpiring robbed them of the game.

I don't think that about this game for one second, but I do think it was the worse umpiring I've seen for a long time.